Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

I had to have my arm twisted to watch Warm bodies. Hate zombie movies with an almighty passion. But I must confess, I actually thought it was pretty good fun. Definitely get the 'half smiles as opposed to outright laughter' thing, though - it feels rather slight.

But I DID get a belt out of the bit where R has the object of his affections in his airplane hideaway, and thinks to himself 'don't be weird!'
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Tiplodocus

I continue my double bill of not quite zombie zombie movies with this, surely the most mainstream zombie movie ever.

Needless to say it bears very little resemblance to the book - If I  remember sme of the incendantal characters in this would have been interviewees from the book - but that doesn't matter, it's it's own thing and not half bad.

Some nice scares, some genuinely scary chases and very very tense. Almost bloodless though. There's no fetishising over headshots here, that sort of thing happens just out of shot for the most part. Nothing quite matches the opening panic and jerusalem sections though and the  ending is very, very subdued for a Hollywood actioner.

Far from perfect but both this and warm bodies both tried something fresh with Zombies. Surely that's welcome.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

World War Z if you hadn't worked it out.

Tiplodocus

Oh and BAIT an australian shark movie. Because sharks are only dangerous when wet, the writers conspire to have a tsunami throw a pair of great whites into a supermarket and car park just as a robbery is going wrong and the hero has met up with his estranged (because a shark ater her brother instead of her boyfriend) lover, a cop dad is arresting his shoplifting daughter and a couple make out in a car while their dog watches from the back seat. Can they all overcome their... aw fuck it, it was as terrible as it sounds. Wasn't Russel Mulcahy good at film once? Some cleverly worked bits of gore aside, pointless.

Professor Bear

Russel Mulcahy made Highlander 2 and we must never forget that.

I, Frankenstein - utter cobblers.  Complete visual gibberish, but still manages some references to Hammer films that I am convinced were completely accidental.  Most action scenes look like a videogame trailer that doesn't have any gameplay footage in it and tells you nothing about the game, apart from one scene that was just two blokes having a stick fight in a warehouse and was the best action scene in the film, but the melodrama bits in between are okay, if only because of how campy they are and how straight-faced everyone plays it.  The story is about a war between gargoyles and demons, because when you think of supernatural beings who have wings, fight demons, live in churches and who come from Heaven, naturally you think "ahh - gargoyles", so yeah, that's all you need to know about this film.

Eight Below - which probably isn't very good in objective terms, but is still a film where cute animals help each other out and occasionally meet their maker and if you are unmoved by any of this you are a soulless monster and must be destroyed, though beautiful Antarctic vistas, good performances from the dogs, good use of cgi and a simple but effective human plot make for a decent if slightly overlong film.
Paul Walker leaves dogs chained up out in the open without food in the worst storm to hit Antarctica in decades and then flies back to America.  He acts very surprised when someone points out "them dogs goin' die, brah" so he looks glum in his caravan for a bit before deciding to go back and dig their dogsicle corpses out of the snow.  The dogs, not being as thick as their owner, make a near-unanimous democratic decision to break free and survive in the wilderness for months until the humans return for them by catching seagulls, noshing on whale corpses and raiding the odd deserted human camp for cigarettes (it looks like), and there's this bit where one of them can't quite catch seagulls so another dog shares their dinner with the starving dog and my thought was "these dogs have a better grasp of loyalty and tending the most vulnerable members of their group than the current British government" and I think that's why the British aren't allowed to have a write-in candidate in elections and can only vote for Kang or Kodos, because they'd just elect huskies they saw in a kids' film who would then just bark at squirrels and poo on the No 10 furniture and occasionally try to shag Obama's leg or bite Italian diplomats yet would still somehow do a better job of running the NHS.
Now, I enjoyed this film more than I should have by seeing simple acts of loyalty and self-sacrifice on the part of base beasts of the field so perhaps I am biased into thinking a prime minister who spends most days running down a street with a string of sausages in his mouth being chased by a butcher is the way to go, but look me in the eye and tell me that's any worse than what we've got right now.  We didn't even elect this current shower of lying two-faced spineless money-grubbing turncoats, but the reason they're there is because enough people went into the booth thinking "I will vote for absolutely anyone other than Labor and I clearly do not care what consequences may follow" so I am asking you in the name of all that's holy in the next election to VOTE HUSKY.

HdE

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

NapalmKev

Been watching old horror films on YouTube; first up:

Creepshow 2 - I was a big fan of this years ago but, of the three story's only one is actually any good.

Old Chief Woodenhead - badly acted, and the plot is shit.

The Raft - my favorite of the three tales, about a group of teens who go swimming at an isolated lake and are devoured by a small version of 'The Blob'.

The Hitchiker - about a lady that kills a hobo in a hit-and-run incident; and then is haunted by him all the way home. Utter crap! I only watched it to the end because of the 'hilarious' hitcher and his "thanks for the ride lady!" Comedian speech.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

pictsy

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 March, 2014, 12:28:09 AM
The story is about a war between gargoyles and demons, because when you think of supernatural beings who have wings, fight demons, live in churches and who come from Heaven, naturally you think "ahh - gargoyles", so yeah, that's all you need to know about this film.

I bet they weren't even legitimate gargoyles but rather grotesques.  Although I, Frankenstein looks like an appallingly bad film, the idea of gargoyles/grotesques battling demons instead of angels seems like an apt change of tack - given that g/g purpose on the outside of buildings (aside from gargoyles' additional drainage solutions) was to scare of evil spirits.

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 16 March, 2014, 11:35:46 AM
I bet they weren't even legitimate gargoyles but rather grotesques. 

Yer my kinda nerd, Pictsy.

SmallBlueThing

GRAVITY

Every bit as good as everyone made out. Even flat and in standard definition. If I were still twelve, I'd be working really hard at school from now on to become an astronaut. In the meantime, I am quite happy to be merely an "ass-tronaut" and do an EVA on Sandra Bullock's magnificent arse. It wouldn't be Russian satellites exploding and sending their debris shooting her way, oh no.

SBT

pictsy

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 March, 2014, 12:31:29 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 16 March, 2014, 11:35:46 AM
I bet they weren't even legitimate gargoyles but rather grotesques. 

Yer my kinda nerd, Pictsy.

Thanks, TordelBack :D

I just wish I knew how to edit my posts so I can correct the typo I made.  Damnation upon myself for not proof reading my posts.  That is just going to eat away at me!

BPP

Razorback was a great film, good terror moments, excellent use of shadow from the wind turbines, Shockley bad guy hill billies (whose laugh sticks in your head long after the end) and a great bad movie killer pig. What's not to like?

Watched Monsters a Go-Go last night. That's a special movie.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Tiplodocus

Quote from: BPP on 16 March, 2014, 02:24:55 PM
Razorback was a great film, good terror moments, excellent use of shadow from the wind turbines, Shockley bad guy hill billies (whose laugh sticks in your head long after the end) and a great bad movie killer pig

yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

I, Cosh

Is it really only ten pages since the last time I had to stick up for Highlander?
We never really die.