Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Their original choice was a Bull Shark, frequent in the waters around the Bahamas. And the only one renowned as a people eater. Yeah, a tamed Tiger Shark seem's a much better option.

As naff as it is, I still consider ZFE to be amongst the best of the genre, considering the overwhelming majority of movies to feature stumbling corpses are dreadful anyway, to be able to make one that serves as a tie in to Dawn of the Dead (Romero's movie was released as Zombi in Europe, and ZFE's original title was Zombi 2. It's a direct sequel!) and is actualy rather good, is somewhat remarkable.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 May, 2015, 08:01:29 AM
...to be able to make one that serves as a tie in to Dawn of the Dead (Romero's movie was released as Zombi in Europe, and ZFE's original title was Zombi 2. It's a direct sequel!) and is actualy rather good, is somewhat remarkable.

Well of course its not. I reminded myself of the history of this film before watching as I know its all a bit tangled. Its in no way an official sequel it was made so that it could be tied to Dawn (actually its more of a prequel of course) and I believe some of the New York stuff at the beginning and the scene at the end added after the fact because of the success of Dawn to make it seem like it was related. The 'Goblin' soundtrack was added as well to give further common ground. In some territories it ran as though it was a sequel, in others not so. I'd guess depending on the legality of hitching yourself onto the back of another film with no permission whatsoever.

Very cheeky. Imagine someone trying to get away with that these days!

Hawkmumbler

Amusingly, Romero is credited with having never watched ZFE. Hell, until he met director Lucio Fulci he wasn't aware it even existed!

pictsy

Blade II

It's directed by Guillermo Del Toro, why isn't it better than it is?  It's not the worst Marvel film by any stretch of the imagination but it is riddled with inconsistencies and poor narrative choices.  It looks OK.  It has Ron Perlman in it.  It's not as good as the first one.  That being said, it is a slight divergence from the original - which I like.  I am no fan of carbon copy sequels.  There's some interesting stuff in the film and by and large it is an entertaining romp.

Tonight, if I have time, I will watch Blade Trinity.  It's got Ryan Reynolds in it.  He's going to be playing Deadpool (again).

Woolly

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 12 May, 2015, 08:01:29 AM
...to be able to make one that serves as a tie in to Dawn of the Dead (Romero's movie was released as Zombi in Europe, and ZFE's original title was Zombi 2. It's a direct sequel!)

Zombi is Dario Argento's cut of Dawn of the Dead, which skips alot of the character stuff, and gets straight to the zombie action (if my memory serves me correctly).

Zombi 2 is only an unofficial sequel anyway, like Troll 2. Still awesome though, very nearly Fulci's best film.

Greg M.

Quote from: Woolly on 12 May, 2015, 07:23:24 PM
Still awesome though, very nearly Fulci's best film.

The Beyond for top spot, I assume?

Woolly

Quote from: Greg M. on 12 May, 2015, 07:28:53 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 12 May, 2015, 07:23:24 PM
Still awesome though, very nearly Fulci's best film.

The Beyond for top spot, I assume?

You assume correctly, sir :thumbsup:

Keef Monkey

Saw The Beyond for the first time last year as the last film in an all night cinema marathon and found it pretty rough going! I'd wanted to see it for ages, but it felt very, very slow (that bit with the tarantulas seemed to go on for days). Desperately wanting my bed might have contributed massively to that though, should maybe give it another go.

Greg M.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 May, 2015, 09:26:25 AM
Saw The Beyond for the first time last year as the last film in an all night cinema marathon and found it pretty rough going!

I think there's a certain level of expectation with The Beyond. So much has been written about it - Fulci's apparent intention to homage Antonin Artaud,  the impact of its non-linear aspects, the meaning of its symbolism - that it's easy to forget that it's a ridiculously gory, frequently incoherent movie with a hell of a lot of rough edges. Which is a massive part of the charm, and I absolutely love it. Brilliant ending, brilliant soundtrack, proper scary bits. Plus, David Warbeck. Loading his gun by putting a bullet down the barrel.

pictsy

Blade Trinity

In many ways this is about as good as the second one.  The two sequels don't compare well to the first of the films probably because the first film had a pretty decent story.  The final instalment suffers from franchise tropes, clumsy dialogue often badly delivered and a messy plot.  It looks good and the action is certainly more than competent.  It has it's moments which provide satisfactory entertainment.  I like Ryan Reynolds in the role of Hannibal King and despite the crappy lines he had to deliver at times, he certainly delivered them well.  Well enough that I think with a funny script he could shine.  Fingers crossed for Deadpool.

Woolly

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 May, 2015, 09:26:25 AM
...found it pretty rough going! I'd wanted to see it for ages, but it felt very, very slow

I think this can be said for most of Fulci's films, but he's an absolute master at creating a chilling atmosphere.
The Beyond and City of the Living Dead are probably my personal favourites*, for exactly this reason.
Plots be damned!

*That said, House by the Cemetary never gets old. It's not what I'd call fast paced, but it is a bit more entertaining than his other output. Recommended.

Recrewt

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 May, 2015, 09:51:53 PM
Zombie Flesh Eatters.

You know I would have sworn I'd seen this film in my youth, but if I did it clearly washed over me.Which to be honest wouldn't have entirely surprised as it pretty damned mah... well except for Zombie vs Shark. ZOMBIE VS, FUCKIN' SHARK.

The shark bit is a strange one but the main thing I remember from that film is the bodies wrapped in white sheets slowly sitting up and then the head-shot.   :o

Hawkmumbler

Fulci was one of the masters of atmosphere. I recently binge watched a ton of his out put, and i'm pretty sure I have a top 5 in order....

1. The Beyond
2. City of the Living Dead
3. Zombie Flesh Eaters
4. Dont Torture a Duckling
5. Contraband

Apestrife

Lord of the rings
The two towers
Return of the king

Saw all three. Extended. In one sitting besides taking a walk, break and nap half way through two towers.

Besides movie being a hour longer than I thought they'd be, I thought they came together really good. Felt like one long film. The special effects also felt more lively than the cgi fest in Hobbit. I'm amazed in Peter Jackson's film making. Some really good phasing and story telling. While not much of a story (imo), I found myself really liking it.

I perhaps won't watch it all again in one sitting, but I wouldn't mind seeing all three again someday. Perhaps half a movie per evening times six.

4 hobbit ales out of 5.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Apestrife on 15 May, 2015, 12:09:48 PM
Saw all three. Extended. In one sitting besides taking a walk, break and nap half way through two towers.

The Extended Two Towers is remarkable, in as much as at feels like a shorter film than the theatrical version, despite being 45 minutes longer, because the pacing is so much better in the longer cut.

I didn't feel the extended additions to RotK really added much, TBH.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.