Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 24 May, 2015, 04:35:14 AM
Avoid seeing this if your sober.

I've watched it twice, sans alcohol, and enjoyed it both times.....does exactly what it says on the tin.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Buttonman

Wild Tales - back on the blog again! One whole request!

Famous Mortimer

I watched the Knights of Bad-Ass-Dom yesterday afternoon

http://iscfc.net/2014/02/23/knights-of-badassdom-2014/

It thought it was funnier than it was, but it was a perfectly decent movie.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 24 May, 2015, 04:57:27 PM
Avoid seeing this if your sober.

I've watched it twice, sans alcohol, and enjoyed it both times.....does exactly what it says on the tin.

Yes, I understand......

Quote from: Famous Mortimer
It thought it was funnier than it was, but it was a perfectly decent movie.

Yery true,[spoiler] but that part where t eh hero sings at the monster to defeat it was beyond the pale. I fact, the idea of singing back at anything in it's own way[/spoiler] kind of made it stink to point of making this un-barble.

Of course, it's good to watch with some LARP friends while tanked to the brim. 

BTW I think I met one of the actors, a well known fellow (Who was never in Game of Thrones!) and exchanged words about the amount of talent that wasn't happening around the beach we were both camped out on. He was sitting nearby and came over to say and tell me just that. He said the place was waste of time -words to the effect- and that was that. I think I saw the very same person exit a shop I was working near with out a by your leave. Of course I didn't try to wave him down either. In fact it never really dawned on me who he was until I saw a photo of him on movie poster stuck on the outside wall of a bus shelter. This was around about anytime between 2003-2004, I believe when I was south of the border.  I'm not divulging anymore information on this person's identity, but you may be able to deduce who it was.

Professor Bear

I recently watched Mythica: The Quest For Heroes, which reminded me of Slaine.  There was a big orc in it that I think showed what could be done with Slaine's Warp Spasm with modern effects.

Also the film had ladies in it I found attractive.  They seemed to be the usual adventurer types, but I couldn't figure out their specific classes - probably some sort of mage build or wizard, though those are traditionally man roles and I'm not much of a feminist because I think they've done well enough and need to give it a rest now.

There is a girl in it who is only a teenager and has a crippled leg but I still probably think she is attractive even if I shouldn't.

There is a man in it and I think he could probably play a role in a film about Slaine, but I am not sure what role he could play.  There is another lady with working legs and I think she could play Mab if she was a bit taller and had different coloured hair and maybe was a bit prettier but I think she could do the role because you can do anything with computers these days, and I think they did use some computers in this because the orc looks to be about fifteen feet tall and I don't see how you do that with puppets because the legs were moving and they can't do legs with puppets.  I remember seeing once the old tv show ALF that was named after an alien but his name was actually Gordon and he had legs sometimes but I don't think they did that with computers because this was a long time ago before they had them on tv.

Possibly the orc is a puppet but they did the legs with computers.  A lot more powerful than my old BBC Mirco!  I used to spend hours on that playing text adventure games and I should pull it out of the loft and give it a go to see if they still hold up to something like Skyrim.

Also there is a man with a beard in this.  I think if the beard was white he might make a good Slaine version of Gandalf.  Can they make a beard white with computers?  I think he could pull it off.

I didn't see any dwarfs in this so I don't know how they would do Ukko.  Possibly they would get a shorter actor and make him wear make up or false ears, I think I saw a Youtube video where they made false ears on a computer, or possibly it was on a mouse.

This film was not very good.

Fungus

More of this kind of thing, please.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Lesbian Seagull on 25 May, 2015, 02:37:57 PM
I recently watched Mythica: The Quest For Heroes, which reminded me of Slaine.  There was a big orc in it that I think showed what could be done with Slaine's Warp Spasm with modern effects.

Also the film had ladies in it I found attractive.  They seemed to be the usual adventurer types, but I couldn't figure out their specific classes - probably some sort of mage build or wizard, though those are traditionally man roles and I'm not much of a feminist because I think they've done well enough and need to give it a rest now.

There is a girl in it who is only a teenager and has a crippled leg but I still probably think she is attractive even if I shouldn't.

There is a man in it and I think he could probably play a role in a film about Slaine, but I am not sure what role he could play.  There is another lady with working legs and I think she could play Mab if she was a bit taller and had different coloured hair and maybe was a bit prettier but I think she could do the role because you can do anything with computers these days, and I think they did use some computers in this because the orc looks to be about fifteen feet tall and I don't see how you do that with puppets because the legs were moving and they can't do legs with puppets.  I remember seeing once the old tv show ALF that was named after an alien but his name was actually Gordon and he had legs sometimes but I don't think they did that with computers because this was a long time ago before they had them on tv.

Possibly the orc is a puppet but they did the legs with computers.  A lot more powerful than my old BBC Mirco!  I used to spend hours on that playing text adventure games and I should pull it out of the loft and give it a go to see if they still hold up to something like Skyrim.

Also there is a man with a beard in this.  I think if the beard was white he might make a good Slaine version of Gandalf.  Can they make a beard white with computers?  I think he could pull it off.

I didn't see any dwarfs in this so I don't know how they would do Ukko.  Possibly they would get a shorter actor and make him wear make up or false ears, I think I saw a Youtube video where they made false ears on a computer, or possibly it was on a mouse.

I'm not calling you a cunt, but that is exactly the kind of thing a cunt would say. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but you are quite simply, empirically, demonstrably wrong in every conceivable way, and I demand a full apology. The Tories.

Cheers

Professor Bear

The Legendary Shark

Donnie Brasco. I didn't like it. Boring.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Keef Monkey

Reading The Scarlet Gospels reminded me that I never did finish my masochistic trawl through the Hellraiser sequels, so last night was Hellraiser: Hellworld.

The synopsis gave me the impression it revolves around a videogame which lead me to hope it was set in cyberspace so the fact it isn't is disappointing. That sort of thing probably could have pushed it into 'so bad it's good' territory. As it stands it's just an absolute mess of staggering incompetence in every single department. Who do they hire to make these things?!

Tiny saving grace is that Doug Bradley gives it some welly on the 3 or so lines he has (the cenobites have very clearly been written into a couple of scenes as an afterthought just so they could put the word 'Hellraiser' on the cover) and Lance Henrikson is in it. Poor Lance, deserves much better. Looking at the thumbnail for the next one it looks like even Bradley sat that one out, so I'm sure it'll be a corker.

Short version - This is the 8th Hellraiser film and it isn't a good as the 7th which wasn't as good as the 6th which wasn't as good as the 5th which wasn't as good as the 4th which wasn't as good as the 3rd which wasn't as good as the 2nd which wasn't as good as the 1st.

There's a pattern there, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Butch on 25 May, 2015, 07:41:18 PM
Quote from: Lesbian Seagull on 25 May, 2015, 02:37:57 PM

I'm not calling you a cunt, but that is exactly the kind of thing a cunt would say. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but you are quite simply, empirically, demonstrably wrong in every conceivable way, and I demand a full apology. The Tories.

Cheers

That's not me BTW........

If a Slaine film is to be made, then I'd like to see it made more like Mad Max. (Some of that desert settings might be perfect for the sour-lands!) In terms of serious quality, if you swap all the modern contrivances with flying boats, chariots, woolly mammoths, horses, dragons, Light-El's and the modern weaponry with Dart-Dragons/Forbidden-Leyser-Guns and Gae-Bolga-Spears and less the usual fantasy drivel  that isn't Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

I loved to see it done, but not like that. After watching it's trailer. It doesn't look much better than what gets featured as the cheap and nasty SciFi-film of the week on cable television.

Lesbian Seagull your non-deplume obviously taken from that Beavis and Butthead film.  ::)

You seem new here, but I noticed you've been registered since 2009. I'm sorry, but some of your claims that this film you like or hate inspires thoughts of a Slaine film is embarrassing in it's brashness (YOur not taking the micky are you?) and gives me more insight on how far I often go on about the very same character and in a similar way.

Which is why, would like to make it clear that we are not the same person, in case a few of you do.

If Slaine is to be made, do it properly!

Professor Bear

Ator: The Fighting Eagle, which reminded me a lot of Slaine when the main charactor goes a quest to find the magic treasures so he can beat the big bad guy at the end (only it's actually a spider and not a person because the big bad guy exploded earlier in a magic mirror so the hero has to fight a spider instead).

The fight with a big spider made me think they could probably do a good Crom Cruach for Slaine to fight at the end of a Slaine film, only if they did it as a big worm instead of a spider obviously.
I could see the strings on the legs of the spider so I assume it was done with puppets and not computers, unless they added the strings with computers too but I don't know what would be the point because people would know it was fake if they saw the strings but if they didn't they might think twice.  Adding strings with computers would defeat the purpose now I think of it.

This is a pretty old film too, so it was probably before computers, or before War Games anyway, which is when most people started to know about computers.
Thinking about it, there were probably people who knew about computers, but people who made films didn't know about them until other people who made films started to make films about computers.

The guy who plays Fighting Eagle in this would make a good Slaine if he still looked like he does in this, as he has the slightly long hair for a man, although not spiky like Slaine does.

His sister is hot, too, and he thinks so because he asks "why can't we be married?" and she says it's because they're brother and sister and the hero thinks about this for a second and then goes and asks his dad if he can marry his sister anway and the dad looks really happy and even I thought this was weird.  But its okay because Fighting Eagle is actually adopted so they can marry, but that still seems odd to me because up until that point she was his sister.  It's not something Slaine would do I think.

Overall it wasn't very good and a bit silly, but I suppose if something is set in the past and pretends that dragons and giant spiders were real, it has to be silly or people will wonder if there should be dragons and spiders in it at all.  You might get away with having spiders because most people know they're real, but something like dragons they might not be too sure because of things like Jurrassic Park making dinosaurs look normal.

ThryllSeekyr

I remember that film and any resemblance to anything to do with Slaine is superficial in the least and never tried comparing this one. However I draw comparisons between him and Conan.

Slaine's never fought with Crom Cruach directly before.

[The only siblings Slaine had is a foster brother. Ragnall!

You might do better comparing him to Mad Max or Han Solo.

But not this fellow.

Another film you may like is Gor About a modern day teacher who get magically transported to the land of Koroba. I just read this off the blurb, but do recall seeing this film on video when I was a lot younger.

There are a few other gems on the same page....namely Fire & Ice which makes excellent use of the then revolutionary roto-scoping technics that I have not noticed in the cartoons of today. This is old, but brilliant and worth a watch.

Your claims about giant spiders being more real than dragons (That evolved from Dinosaurs, (Quite possibly not true , but worth considering!) don't matter if it's make believe.

(url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orKN81lw_bc ] Death-Stlaker[/b][/url] is worth seeing too if you don't mind old fantacy films.

ThryllSeekyr

Sorceress is another film I recall. I know because there were these female twins in it. It was on video nearly thirty years ago today and I have very vividly recollections of their on screen nudity missed with violence.