Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Green Room is great, to echo the recommendation. It's not too tough really, I mean it's violent, but if they've ever seen a voilent thriller or an 80s slasher movie it's nothing they can't handle. It's really well done with cool characters we like etc.

I recently saw Travis McGee (1983), TV movie starring Sam Elliott (mustache dude) based on a mystery novel series. Good stuff! Buried treasure I'd say.

Tiplodocus

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN

More like the shite on the train.

Actually that's not true. Given the state of most train toilets, going for a shite on a train is a tense, almost exciting affair where you can't predict the outcome or even if it will have a happy ending.

This managed none of those things and dull as disaster.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Magnetica

Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2.

Couldn't get it to play for love nor money last Thursday on Netflix. Guess loads of people were watching it.
Saw it on Friday.

Basically I think the Hunger Games was great and all the subsequent ones less so, getting poorer in order of release. The problem is I think that they couldn't keep having the HG contests and the series morphed into lets over throw the dictator. But the "twist" was telegraphed from a long way out. I even said to my Wife [spoiler]she is going to shoot Julianne Moore and not Donald Sutherland.[/spoiler]

But I guess that was the moral of the story - [spoiler]beware of who you support in regime change.[spoiler][/spoiler]

A pity it was so dull, as it did actually wrap things up well story wise.

Professor Bear

Star Trek (2009) - novelty elevated this turkey far beyond its status, because on almost every level it is an ugly and stupid film, from the convoluted, nonsensical plot which bears up to not even the slightest bit of scrutiny while it unfolds onscreen to the scattershot, overly-busy art design which does away with Trek's iconic visual simplicity of concept and form in favor of swarms of CGI debris whizzing across the screen at all times, to the thuggishly broad strokes with which characters are painted - the only woman in the cast is someone's girlfriend?  Okay.  The only Asian is a martial artist with a ninja sword?  Okay.
By all objective measures, this is an awful film whose comical "busy busy busy" directorial style where everyone is walking fast and shouting dialogue in front of lens flares deserves to be mocked just as much as the trappings of Michael Bay and yet paradoxically is not, despite likely doing more harm to the collective intelligence of modern cinema audiences than Bay's peeing robots ever could, thanks to an aggressively anti-intellectual approach where every motivation stems from the most base of desires, be it lust or revenge.
And yet I still enjoy it.  I may now have to admit that it is actually a pretty bad film by any reasonable standards of evaluation apart from "is this good CGI for the decade in which the film was made?", but I enjoy watching it.

Michael Knight

:lol: Tiplodocus mate cheers for one of best reviews ever. Very apt from what ive heard lol

The Legendary Shark

Gasland 2

Documentary about shale gas extraction, or fraccing. Aside from the reported inhumanity of poisoning land, crops, livestock and people, driving people from their homes, fracturing communities and hi-jacking the political system, there is added lunacy. They are carrying out hydraulic fracturing right on top of the San Andreas fault.

This process has been suspended in the area where I live (so I must declare an interest at this point) but I remember the earth tremor it caused. If fraccing can shake this geologically stable area, is it really worth risking in California?

Greed, misrepresented and/or ignored science, corruption, bullying, unaccountability - it's all here. Well worth a watch.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 29 September, 2016, 01:52:22 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 September, 2016, 02:22:16 PM
Read the book first or watch the film?
Either or mate!  Both equally worth a read/watch!

Couldn't find a screening in all of South or West London that didn't take place at midnight, and now there's even less choice (despite there being about 15 cinemas at least between me and Leicester Square). Can't believe how limited the screenings have been :/

However because of this I have read the book first. And boy howdy jovus drokk, what a read. Read 2/3rds of it one sitting last night and thoroughly enjoyed - can't wait to finally see the movie now.

Cheers for the nod Monkey

Hawkmumbler

Perfect Blue (1990, dri. Satoshi Kon)
Japans homage de triumph to the giallo genre and Hitchcock come De Palma thrillers, directed by one of te late great masters, revolving around a former idol star turnd actress watching her reality crumble amidst murders, red herrings and increasingly problematic career choices. A beautifully cathartic movie, not always the easiest to watch but surprisingly very relevant in regards to how much we are willing to tolerate in the name of entertainment and the pressures put on the artists who make it.

A superb movie, check it out.

Professor Bear

I already did - I watched Black Swan.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 October, 2016, 01:23:26 PM
I already did - I watched Black Swan.
Heh,I really sould get around to watching that at some point...

radiator

Green Room

Didn't disappoint.

My kinda film - lean, mean, tense as all hell and clocking in at a tight 95 mins. Surprisingly similar setup to Dredd in a few ways, I thought.

Loved the cast - Yelchin was such a charismatic young actor. A tragic loss.

A strong 4/5.

Colin YNWA

I'm trying to find time to watch a bunch of DVDs I own that I never get around to watching. We've got a shelf full of the things and all we get to watch is kids films (many of which are great) and all these films I love are just sitting there so trying to make time to watch them (well okay now I have Walking Dead to watch but over time).

I'll not get to watch them in one sitting which is a shame but over three nights I watched Nurse Betty to kick the process off, don't know why, just fancied it. Its as good as I remember. Nicely off edge, at times terrifying, great central performances and CJ from West Wing who I didn't know last time I watched this.

Great little movie. Might go for Series 7 next...or Bubba Ho-Tep, what do ya reckon...

Hawkmumbler

Bubba Ho-Tep is a riot, Colin.

"But...president Kennedy was white?..."
"That's right! They dyed me this colour!"

Michael Knight

Bubba Ho Tep is a right laugh. I need to rewatch this again. Very hard film to explain to folk without sounding bat shit crazy  :lol:

Greg M.

The best thing about Bubba Ho-Tep is that on paper it just sounds like a load of ridiculous fun, but it's actually quite moving and oddly touching - particularly the last scene.