Main Menu

Help me Hive Mind, you're my only hope...

Started by Bolt-01, 22 August, 2018, 09:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks for your kind words. But I really am worried about my cat. Dorian is 6 years old. I can't give him up. I just can't.

The Doctor Alt 8

[Adrian has officially been diagnosed with Parkinson's... even though there is no family history (as far as he knows.) He has started treatment and it seems to be working. However now the Doctors have to figure out his blackouts... In a way they are more worrying. He seems to operate on auto pilot which so far hasn't lead him into trouble but how long can that last.

The Doctor Alt 8

Adrian was allowed to go home yesterday. He didn't arrive back until half past Ten. Adrian's tremors have improved. No further blackouts yet. No Idea why he has them unless it's an exceptionally rare symptom of Parkinson's.  He has been given a working key safe and one of those emergency button alarms.

As for me unless I can get some help I will be homeless come the middle of next month. I will be collecting Mothers Death certificate on the 28th. Then there will be closing accounts and finding out just how much dept I have to pay.

The Doctor Alt 8

So a friend upset me yesterday. Told me that I would be better off taking what goods I could and just... walking away from the flat and not even going ahead with the plans to cremate my mother.

His reasoning is that I need every penny I process and shouldn't waste what I will receive from my mothers life insurance policy on disposing of her remains.

That will not be happening even if I have to crowd fund to do the right thing ... That's what I will do.

Need a bank account first though. I have been told by the passport office that my application is going ahead normally so... there is that.

Still worried that I will have nothing for next months rent and I could use the time. I am 100% certain that I will be homeless come the 12th of next month and without funds of any kind.

And poor Adrian has become allergic to nuts... especially peanuts. He loved peanuts. 

I could  walk away and live with Henry but... well I wouldn't see my friends ever again and his dogs might tear Dorian to pieces.

Tjm86

Please do not make any hasty decisions Doc.  I would completely agree with you regarding the advice you have received.  However well intentioned it might have been, it misses so much about how much your mother meant to you.  Let us know when the crowdfunded is set up.

Have you spoken to Citizen's Advice and Shelter?  It sounds a little like your caring responsibilities have limited your employment options in recent years, would that be fair to say?  Also, has your mother left a will of any kind?  Is there an official executor of her estate?  Have you spoken with the landlord?  These would all be relevant to how best to proceed.

Make sure you are taking care of yourself too.  We're here for you if you need anything, even if it is to sound off about things. 

The Doctor Alt 8

Well tomorrow I will be contacting the MacMillan tomorrow. I can't be the only person they have had to deal with in my situation. I hope they can help.

I am sorting out things into three piles and am planning to go again to a local charity shop to dispose of things which I know are of use... but I doubt will sell. A slow and awkward process as I have no transport and have to load up a trolley and travel by bus.

Things that are mine and need to keep.

Things that are fit for resale. I need every penny.

Thinks to be disposed of. Either going to charity shops or into the rubbish bin.

The Doctor Alt 8

There is one thing I would ask someone urgently to do for me.

I donated £2.500 per month to this charity.

https://www.mrlumpyandfriends.com/donate

I can't do that anymore. Can some kind soul subscribe?

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Doctor Alt 8

Thank you so much Barrington Boots.

Just found a phone message from the registry office, they now cannot process my mothers death certificate because they now don't have her medical certificate. When they called my first they said they had everything needed and all I had to do is turn up.

I had one appointment and they were apparently ready then to process the certificate the so WTF?
Will have to wait for their call tomorrow to see what happens next.

AND I got a letter from the housing benefit office saying "we don't accept applications for an increase in your benefit until October 2024"

The Landlord should know this because this is what happened last time.

The Doctor Alt 8

Well finally got mother's death certificate. Monday is going to be hectic with phone calls as I try to explain to 4 catalogue companies and a credit card company that not only is my mother dead but the "estate" is totally in flux and no, there will be no more money to clear her accounts.

NapalmKev

Not sure if you're aware of this but you are not liable for anything unless you signed a joint agreement with your Mother.

Money Helper has more information on the subject.

The fact you are making an effort to contact various parties shows diligence on your part but it's not something you actually have to do, as I understand it.

All the best.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Doctor Alt 8

Thank you NapalmKev for this information.

Things may be worse than I thought. I contacted what I assumed was a company that had a life insurance policy and they can't find it. Now I was told it might be lost in the system and that I need to send a copy of the bank statement with the direct debit showing but if they can't find it well... There is nothing to bury my mother with. I am still awaiting my passport without which I cannot open a bank account... Ahgh!

NapalmKev

If you are unable to afford a funeral you can apply for a 'Public Health Funeral' from either your local council or Hospital.

Money Helper has more in the subject.

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks again NapalmKev.

Now my microwave combi oven has stopped working (Yes I've changed the fuse AND tried using different sockets)