Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I don't know about the Greens, as there's a lot of young voters this time out and they're only ones daft enough to throw their votes away on a party for delusional hippy idiots.

Don't mind me, I'm just practicing being a Tory so I can avoid the camps.  Hold your loved ones close and if we're still alive in years to come, tell them this was the day hope died.

Tjm86

I do really hope that you are wrong in that regard but I do know what you mean.  This election feels like .... Do you know, I can't find the words for it.  This is the second time that I've lived through a Tory government and both times I've seen that nation truly screwed.  That said, whilst there were positive times under New Labour there was also plenty to feel uncomfortable about. 

The idea that Blair sold his soul for power is not one that I feel I can challenge.  It really felt at times like a few more years of Thatcher, just not quite as extreme.   The only problem is that now there is a generation growing up that remember Blair's Labour the same way that I remember Thatcher's Conservatism.  The problem being that the Tories are waaaaay more destructive.  Unfortunately they are giving the Tories the power to do what Thatcher started but on steroids.  This means that our grandchildren are being left with an incredibly toxic legacy; environmental problems, social and educational problems, pension problems, employment problems.  Basically all of the progress over the last fifty odd years is being ripped to shreds.

Goaty

Ha! Big mistake to decide election, Theresa May!

Professor Bear

The Major ministry happened between Thatcher and Blair, and is largely overlooked in history because by the time its legacy became apparent - the Good Friday Agreement, for example - Blair swooped in and grabbed all the credit.  Major also reversed the policy of introducing private contractors to the NHS, which Blair brought back even though it was a dead issue at the time.
Major also banged Edwina Currie on the PM's desk in No 10, which isn't a pleasant mental image but fair play to the lad, he can say he did that and it's a story that's probably good for a pint or two.

Exit polls currently predicting a hung Parliament - though we've been here before.  Fuck it anyway, I'm still rioting tomorrow.

Modern Panther

If the exit polls are correct, I will eat Paddy Ashdown's hat.

Professor Bear

In the years to come, these few hours of hope will be seen as the final twist of the knife.

Steve Green

Hasn't his headgear suffered enough?

I don't believe the exit polls.

Goaty

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 June, 2017, 10:30:49 PM
Hasn't his headgear suffered enough?

I don't believe the exit polls.

Well they ask 30,000 people. Can be wrong.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Modern Panther on 08 June, 2017, 10:23:03 PM
If the exit polls are correct, I will eat Paddy Ashdown's hat.

On a 30K polling sample, that's a hell of a Labour gain to get wrong. I suspect the Tories will squeak a majority, but if Corbyn is the first Labour leader to gain seats in twenty years, he'll be bulletproof.

May, on the other hand, pissed away a 20-point poll lead in six weeks. She's history and, with Amber Rudd looking like she might lose her seat, does this mean Boris for PM?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DrRocka

Early days yet, I'm waiting a couple of hours before I let my hopes rise....
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

Boy oh boy did I pick the right night for a slow nightshift!  Doesn't sound like the exit poll is translating directky into votes, but it's still looking very interesting.

Professor Bear

Amber Rudd losing her seat could only be better if she petulantly demanded a recount, lost it, then burst into tears in front of everyone.  And behold a Tweet 40 years in the making:

Goaty

What a lovely day to celebrate my birthday! 

Colin YNWA

Not going to get carried away, after all we do have the Tories as the biggest party, not that it was ever going to be anything else BUT in the context of what's gone before and the absolutely VILE press campaign against a good and honourable man you're going to take that aren't you.

We live in interesting times.

Hawkmumbler

Not surprised, just dissapointed in people today.