Main Menu

Childhood Trauma

Started by paulvonscott, 09 November, 2002, 05:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

it has to be DR who for me
i dont know the story name but it was john pertweet as the DR,
scarry sea monsters leaving scratch marks on the boat yards wooden areas.
i hid behind the sofa and refused to come out.years later it took me all my time to try and watch it.to this day i have not been able to sit through that episode.
chilled me to the bone.(i was about 8years old)
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

The Big Man

That would have been 'The Sea Devils'. Wouldn't recommend that you watch it again today. It's not scary and the 'music' will make your ears bleed.

Poltergeist has scared the shit out of me since I was 9 or 10. I still have Poltergeist-type nightmares. I remember seeing bits of The Burning and An American Werewolf in London when I was about 4, my dad or my uncle had rented them. I also remember a video nasty with a bit where a guy is fixing a motorbike and gets his face shoved into its running engine. Don't know what the film was called though.

Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' scared the shit out of one of my sisters, but I loved it. 'Ghost Town' by The Specials used to scare me shitless though when it first came out. I used to start screaming every time it got played.
"Is there a problem here ?"

Richmond Clements

Another Dr. Who story that freaked me out was (sorry in advance for the spelling here) The Talons Of Weng Chiang (actually, that might be right!), with the ventriloqists doll that walks about. As a result I still hate the bloody things.

There was one in a Hammer movie, with Diana Dors, one of the anthology movies, where she got married to some guy, but I remember a knife cutting into the bride and groom on top of the cake, and it bleeding.

Was it in Theatre of Blood?

Smiley

a knife cutting into the bride and groom on top of the cake was possibly 'From Beyond The Grave'.

Theatre Of Blood rocks!

CraveNoir

Sounds like it might be From Beyond the Grave which was made by Amicus. It's the one where Peter Cushing has an antiques shop. In one of the stories a married man fancies a young woman, and he kills his wife (Dors) in order to marry her. Presumably Dors has voodooed the doll.

I think the Diana Dors segment in Theatre of Blood was the bit where Price (in disguise) has an affair with her, setting up her husband's discovery of the infidelity. He strangles her.

I see Smiley beat me to it!

Richmond Clements

'From Beyond the Grave' sounds like the right one, I seem to remember the antique shop, too.

You people are better than any crummy search engine!

Queen Firey-Bou

whats that old sci fi film called with the invisible monster on a planet where you just see footprints & it turns out that its this mad dr fellows ID has created it ? that was well scary.

then Dr Who , the giant maggots was a particular one.
later on there was a photo of a charred burnt body on front page of tabloid IRA explosion victim (tasteful journalism at its best) that boys took to school, that terrified me silly for ages. great, now i'm a fire fighter, fingers crossed i never have to face THAT fear.

later still the first alien film
the evil dead prevented me walking home thru woods in dark alone for some time.

and so on.....
now ? i fear Nothing ( much)

karne

From Beyond the Grave

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

In From Beyond the Grave, two characters played by Donald Pleasance and his real life daughter Angela are responsible for the death of Diana Dors character.

The husband of Diana's character is having an affair with Donald's daughter who uses magic to kill his wife so that they can be married.

The twist comes when she goes to cut the wedding cake and instead slices through the head of the groom statue instead.

It is then revealed that the whole set up was for the benefit of their son who hated his parents and wanted them dead.

It's a very entertaining film that one and also features Ian Ogilvy in a really scary story about a door and cult favourite David Warner in a story about a possesed mirror.

There's also another one about a snuff box and an elemental, all tied in by a thief trying to rob Cushing's shop.

Richmond Clements

The old movie is 'Forbidden Planet', a genuine classic, starring Robbie the Robot, and pre-comedy Leslie Neilsen.

The Dr. Who was 'The Green Death'.

Maybe I should get out more. But then I would miss all this.

karne

That's "Forbidden Planet" Bou. It stars Leslie Nielson in a "serious role", and is now a popular musical which is REALLY scary.

Smiley

There's also another one about a snuff box and an elemental

That rocked too. The elemental was supposed to be an evil invisible little thing, sat on the oblivious thief's shoulder. Pure suggestion. Nowadays they'd just CGI the damn thing.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I was a young lad in the days of the VHS/ Beta battle and at the peak of video nasties. It was an explosive mix, especially as my parents let me and my brother watch anything as long as it didn't have too much sex in it (naughty scenes were fast forwarded). I think they took this approach because I read 2000ad.

Anyway, as a child the following "classics" scared the bejesuz out of me:

The Manitou (red indian spirit turns everyday objects into animated killers)

The Entity (still quite good)

The Evil Dead (saw the uncut version at 10, with my brother, and was so freaked out when the woman gets stabbed in the ankle with the pencil that I left the house and walked round the block)

Death Planet (this scared the shit out me big time. It's about a planet that drags spaceships down onto it and then you die in various unusual ways. I think it was hit and if anyone knows anything about it, I would like to see it again. And laugh).

Every Hammer film.

As a teen, the most uncomfortable film I saw was Something WIcked This Way Comes. This is as good as Bradbury's book, stars Jonathon Pryce and was made by Disney of all things (although it was deemed too creepy and distrubuted by Buena Vista, which is Disney's other film conmpany). It's an underatted classic. Check it out - it crops up on Channel 4 about once a year. And read the book if you haven't already.

As an adult, the Exorcist still scares me. Maybe it's cos I'm a Catholic - but I think it's more to do with atmosphere. You see, I find films more scary now if they are tense. As a result, the film I was most frightened at as an adult (and this is no joke) was Star Trek: First Contact!
Lock up your spoons!

The Monarch

killing time killing time killing time killing time  killing time killing time

i still have nightmares that the iscarot is going to get me