Main Menu

Villains

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 05 April, 2004, 05:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just a quick thought, following on the trumps thread, but what was the last really good villain in 2000ad?

Dredd hasn't really had a bad guy to fight for years, has he? Where's the Murds or the Sabbats or the Deaths?

Mr Alpha, in his flashbacks, hasn't really squared off against anything alien (or even mutated!) for a while. Where are the odd silicon gangs calling people "squishies", the crab headed mutants or the alien empires?

Even Dante seems to have lost the red lobster aliens, and SinDex's potential invasion tale seems to have petered into silence.

It's all conspiracies and family dynasties these days. Is this a good thing? What about a simple bit of monster bashing?

Obviously, Slaine is an exception to this. Then again, every Slaine story is more or less the same - Moloch is the same as the three-armed Cythron. But where are the warp spasms? Too odd for kids today?

I miss the epic feeling of a world being threatened by the strange and ugly, with only our heros standing between us and an alien/ mutant/ demon barbecue.

So, what's the cause? Is it a drive to make the comic more sophisticated, pandering to us older readers? Are monsters simply too childish? Or can we expect to see the return of a lumbering, alien behemoth to the pages soon?
Lock up your spoons!

House of Usher

Well, Satanus is one of those all-time great monster villains, and he made a somewhat inglorious return in the Megazine recently. But your question refers specifically to 2000ad, doesn't it?
STRIKE !!!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Pat Mills is exempt. At the risk of double standards, his tales are all the same - monsters kills bloke, other blok kills monster.

I want something in the middle. Monsters doing epic scale badness. Preferably zombies, but better than judgement day.
Lock up your spoons!

Dudley

Hastur in Leviathan?

The Offspring?

Jared Katooie

Hastur didnt really do much but his toungue mummies did...

The offspring does feck all...

The Enigmatic Dr X

My point exactly! I want something baddies who do stuff. Threatening things. I want supervillains!

When did you last see a BWAH HA HA! in 2K?
Lock up your spoons!