Main Menu

Some suggestions about this board

Started by Systematic, 05 April, 2004, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

the confirmation box has started coming up whenever you sign in, is there any way we could go back to the old way?

I haven't changed this, so it may be there's a bug somewhere and two forms are getting confused. Does it only happen if you sign in from the bottom of the message board index?

Also whenever I log in and return to the board I have to select the messages to view them again. Is there any way this could be automatic?

Fixed

Wake

The Enigmatic Dr X

I am scared and suspicious of change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Lock up your spoons!

Wake

threading prevents you making posts on what, to a casual user, seems to be an almost random basis.

With a bit of luck I've just fixed this. Alternatively, I've just broken it a bit more.

Wake

Trout

Heh, heh, heh.

Break it, Wake!

Hey, let's all have a destructive day and break things!

King Trout kicks in Tharg's telly.

I like our messy board.

The boarders make it what it is.

- Trout

Queen Firey-Bou

well i like this more than other forums, cos its clear & easy to use, but being a big kid , do like all singing dancing rasperyblowing icons... we could have some great ones for here if somebody cleverty put their minds to it,
 a monkey doffing its hat
a hatted monkey being blown up
explosions in general
large weapons firing
quad bikes revving
psi eyes flashing
a dial going up to 4 on ya
the fist of dredd

or have i gotten carried away again?

Wake

Although I suggested 32x32 might be okay for emoticons, they probably need to be only 16x16 if they are going to appear in the middle of sentences like this.

Wake

Trout

Bou, you've gotten carried away.

Also, I notice practically every suggestion you've made is ammunition for a board war.

Perhaps we could have Judge Death in place of a smiley?

- Trout

Systematic

The reason I suggested some changes is because, as a newcomer, it lacks a few functions other boards seem to have. But if people are happy with it I am happy.:) I don't want to rock the boat here, I'm a new passenger! I did post a reply and it didn't come up which was a little frustrating.

Gavin's 2k board uses Invision Power Boards.

I find that board is user-friendly. If the board is to get a facelift then I look forward to the new design. As for my username, no, Systematic is not from Five Star. But I am old enough to remember the group.;)

Link: http://www.invisionboard.com/" target="_blank">Link:

Wake

If the board is to get a facelift then I look forward to the new design

The board itself isn't scheduled for a face lift, just its border.

To integrate a completely different board (some people suggest ikonboard IIRC), as opposed to having the message board hosted off-site, take more time than I'm willing to spend on it. As I've said to one of the trolls on alt.comics.2000ad, if someone else wants to produce a fully coded funtional board which I can pretty much just upload to this website then I'm willing to give it a go.

Wake

Systematic

Hope I am not out of line in saying this, but wouldn't the task of a new message board be the responsibility of the owners of this site? Would that not be Rebellion? I understand that time and manpower prevent you doing it Wake, but wouldn't Rebellion be the ones to do that?

W. R. Logan

>Emoticons - great for adding some colour and feeling to the board.

Shudder, please god no yellow faces, or whacky things blinking at you, what?s wrong with the extremely simple 8-)

>Quote function - if you want to quote a specific post, use quote.

Or how about cut and paste with a ?>? in front of it

>Edit - for altering mistakes etc.

Mistakes can be fun, and editing would allow people to abuse others then change it.

>Link - simply type or cut and paste the link on screen.

Links can be added at the bottom of the message or with a couple of simple html tags be inserted all over the message as is regularly seen here.

Wake

That's pretty much the point. Why would Rebellion want to pay someone (e.g. me) to implement a new board (which by its very nature isn't a very commercial aspect of the site) if the current one works well enough?

Wake

Systematic

"That's pretty much the point. Why would Rebellion want to pay someone (e.g. me) to implement a new board (which by its very nature isn't a very commercial aspect of the site) if the current one works well enough?"

Surely the message board is there to attract new readers and therefore has a commercial aspect? People will buy the comic, visit the site, register and post their comments. I am recent fan (been reading 2000AD for two years) and decided to register. I've no problem with the board, please don't think I have. I was posting a few suggestions based on my experience at other boards. I hope I haven't been critical, that wasn't my intention.

Jared Katooie

"I hope I haven't been critical, that wasn't my intention."

Nah, you've been perfectly polite.

"Surely the message board is there to attract new readers and therefore has a commercial aspect?"

I think nearly 95% of the message boarders here already read the progs. It's more a way of hanging on to readers (so to speak) than luring in new ones.

Heck it even lured Logan back from his long walk! ;)

J.

Dudley

I hope I haven't been critical, that wasn't my intention.

You've been critical in the good sense of the word, I shouldn't worry about it.