Main Menu

what did you do before

Started by Floyd-the-k, 08 April, 2004, 05:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

God I'd forgotten Oink,If memory serves right the 1st issue came with a free floppy,pink single.

Cheers Wooly
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Trout

Before 2000AD?

There was no before 2000AD that I can remember.

I was six when I started getting it.

My mother had to read it with me, as I was still learning to read.

I suppose that before 2000AD I was into Lego and rusks.

- Trout

Wake

Warlord (we had Warlord and Fireball gangs at school)

The Eagle (first 12 volumes) whenever I was at my grandmother's house.

I remember various other comics like Shiver & Shake and the Beano but don't remember getting any of them regularly.

I also collected the Dr. Who standees from Weetabix packets.

Wake

Scottiepunk

Whizzer & Chips, Topper and Warlord. My cousin, who's 4 years older than me, used to get Warlord as well, we used to have some brilliant secret agent games based around the stories in the comic. Does anyone know how many issues of Warlord there where? I've got loads of them still over at my Mums, I've not got room for them and all my 2000ADs!

JimBob

Battle, Eagle, Commando, Sven Hassle, Target Dr Who's,
And the usual paperback teen sci-fi crap -"Oh my god I've survived the appocalypse and all adults are dead" "Oh my god these aliens force fields stop bullets and Lasers but wait...my bow and arrows work" "Oh my god they've cloned intelligent dinosaurs" "Oh my god they saved Hitlers brain" "Oh my god Vampires have moved in next door!" "Oh my god  I'm a new england antiquarian and hark what shambling, pulsing beast hath entered for,m the twisted nether dimensions Aiiiieeeeeeee" Sadly all the above books exsist but I'll be damned if I can remeber their names.

Mikey

"I was six when I started getting it."

At this point I thought 'I suppose fish spawn earlier than humans' ;p

But,Warlord,Battle,Beano,Dandy.Dropped Beano and Dandy('cept annuals) pretty soon after 2000ad became *the* essential comic for me.

[I learned to read because I wanted to read comics(before school)but nobody told me *how* to read comics.The panels made no sense read vertically!]

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JamieB

"We had Warlord and Fireball gangs at school"

We had "readers" and "cro-magnons"

J-Bo-1

Pyroxian

Dr. Who Weekly & Star Wars were my main comics before 2000AD came along, although I read a lot of Asterix and Tin Tin books too. My brother got Warlord, but I didn't read it as it didn't have cool space-ships in it. Then he started getting 2000 AD instead - wOOt!

Steve

dweezil2

Dribbled and soiled my nappies- and i've only been reading it a year! Boom, boom, i thank you.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Floyd-the-k

heck, this is bringing back memories! I too liked Asterix and Tintin. I used to love Whizzer and Chips, part of the reason why I liked Viz so much later on.
  was anyone else into Biggles books?

Devons Daddy

i was not into anything before.
before this it was sci fi stuff on tv.and dinky toys.
 i was unable to read until i was about 8 so that was likely a  large reason for avoiding such things.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Before I got into 2000ad?

I spent a couple of years learning the basics (eating, sleeping, walking, talking, not using my pants as a toilet).

After that, I spent about two years getting to grips with the Roman alphabet (it was a trying time) and some ancillary life skills (mainly doing my shoelaces)

Then I got into 2000ad. My mum and dad, both teachers, were of the view that it encouraged reading.

That was 8th August 1981. I was 6 years old.http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/224.jpg">
Lock up your spoons!

Priv8eye

I used to read the Dr Who mag, also the Eagle and Scream.  Loads of Asterix and I was so well known at the local library that they used to get all the new Who novels in and keep them back for me without  me having to ask.

Max Kon

I to was interested in Biggles, and Hippos (still am)

Queen Firey-Bou

blimey...

well there was lego & tonka toys, rescueing ladybirds, & general outdoors pre-geek tree climbing bahavior...
there was pretending to be a mexican bandit games around 7 ish...
the beano & dandy, but they were just there, no great thrills.
pets from an early age.
sci-fi books. blakes 7, dr who etc
alias smith & jones, then starsky & hutch.. into pop star blokes... around this time i probably had breasts that you were all so fixated by, stangely enough i was never that bothered about them.
then there was wierdness, drink drugs rock n punkiness, being arty , celtophile, druidism, an obbsession with faeiries and militant politics then finally at 18 i found 2K.