Main Menu

Forum Move

Started by w3bz, 10 July, 2009, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3bz

Bloody hell guys, calm down. What's with all this "If it doesn't happen I'm outta here!" malarkey? I did say I'd get on it, we'll tailor to your needs as always.

Anyways, some of the stuff didn't transfer from when we were doing it locally to online. I.e. the layout for one, went a bit screwy. I can always do more themes, if you like the old one and want that back for example. I've just changed the grey, which completely wiped, so the posts are distinguishable.

This elusive "Active Topics" not the same as "View unread posts" I take it, so what does it list? Remind me and I'll sort a version no biggy.

There's actually 2 big reasons for changing, which I thought I'd mention particularly for the stuffy sorts (it makes me laugh particularly the theme seeing as some of you hated the last one...we'll never win). 1) SMF has a lot more useful plugins and stuff we can add to sort out a variety of things including spam. 2) We can pull information out of the database a lot more easily than phpbb...which we're going to need soon.

I noticed the spam had a sudden crank up, but yeah there'll always be manual ones as well (seeing as captcha's on this). But yeah, we'll keep adding things until they piss off....

Buddy

Do not like.

Need a recent posts button. If there is one, please tell me where it is.

Also.... why would I need to have text scrolling across the screen, what is the point of that?

Bouwel

Ahh...I have my badge back. All is right with the world.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

w3bz

Uncle - it's up the top below the logo called "View unread posts"

Lord Running Clam

I quite all the different stats showing when I post most and where.

Not sure if this the right place to discuss it, but do you think it wound be a good idea to make the Hot dang doodle and the current art comp threads sticky threads?

w3bz

[spoiler]this is some spoiler text[/spoiler]

Peter Wolf

I am on Firefox and i am getting the overlapped bit on the top right of the screen as well.

I think that this is an inprovement nonetheless as before it used to take an age to refresh and upload a post wheras now its very very fast.

Please reinstate the view active topics option that used to list the threads in descending order according to recent activity with the most recently posted to thread at the top of it otherwise we are just looking at an index which isnt the same thing.

Thryllseeker posted a topic about an artists book yesterday .

Damned if i can find it now.

Posted with gratitude for your hard work and without a pissy attitude.

Thanks.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

w3bz

Weird on the overlap, will look into that. Kinda the problem with a lot of these forum packages is they're usually a mess when it comes to making a new theme. I'm using firefox and IE and it's not happening here, so will get some older versions to see if it's that...well, safari will probably the one to fix and should resolve them across the browsers.

So, could you let me know the differences between "view unread posts" and "view active topics" as they kinda sound the same still. The "view unread posts" link takes you to a list of recently updated posts, or activity that's happening within a topic?

Cheers

The Enigmatic Dr X

But as the man said, where's the active topics button? This is scary for me. I've still got my Kroom Skree icon, and I don't like change.
Lock up your spoons!

w3bz

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 July, 2009, 12:53:46 PM
But as the man said, where's the active topics button? This is scary for me. I've still got my Kroom Skree icon, and I don't like change.

Yeah but as this man said, I still need to know the difference between that and the "view unread posts" link to be able to help  :-\

House of Usher

As far as I understand it, "view active topics" rearranges ALL the topics in order of how recently they have been added to. So, posting a messages on a thread would move it immediately to the top of the "active topics" list.
STRIKE !!!

w3bz

Yeah that's what view unread posts does as well!?  :-\

w3bz

Quote from: dandontdare on 10 July, 2009, 10:40:55 PM
According to my screen, 0 members and 0 guests are viewing the board, yet new posts still appear! Maybe I'm just hallucinating you all.....

Stats fixed now

I, Cosh

"View Unread topics" = show all topics where the current user has not read the latest post.

"View Active Topics" = show all topics which have been posted on within x days (I think it was a week) irrespective of whether I've read it or not. Useful for going back to check out something you read a couple of hours/days ago because we've all gotten used to doing it that way so have no idea which sub-forum anything's posted on.

Anyway, good job on the move and sorting the backgrounds. Like peterwolf says, everything seems to load slightly quicker but that could just be perception.

Once you've fixed all that, I've having some problems with some constant exchange rates that you might want to take a look at.
We never really die.

w3bz

Ohhh getcha, ok that sounds dooable. Might have to sort that out Monday mind, don't have all the access I need from home...boo