Main Menu

Tankslapped!

Started by Pete Wells, 24 March, 2010, 04:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: Dog Deever on 01 April, 2010, 04:04:27 PM
QuoteAs it stands, it just reinforces what I thought when I discovered so many "creatives" post here- that it's not really a place I want to hang out anymore.

What- like Jim Campbell who runs the art comp? The writers who organise the writing comps? The new Council of Five? Emperor who has possibly done the most to fill out the creative common section, along with all the other 'creative types' who keep, and have kept this board running for a long time. Since long before you joined.

To be fair I am not a professional comics writer and (I assume) people are generally nicer and more willing to overlook the rough edges if you are making comics for the love of the medium (at least in public, someone somewhere is jamming needles into the perineum of an Emperor voodoo doll out there).

If I ever get a story in 2000 AD I'll be out of here so fast I'll set fire to the carpet and I'll hunker down in my electromagnetically-shielded bunker (it'll have numerous protective wards against voodoo and sundry black magicks too). Any communication with the outside world will be carried out using messenger rats to communicate with an expendable flunky who will throw them in the general direction of the Internet.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

ming

Quote from: Emperor on 01 April, 2010, 08:54:08 PMIf I ever get a story in 2000 AD I'll be out of here so fast I'll set fire to the carpet and I'll hunker down in my electromagnetically-shielded bunker (it'll have numerous protective wards against voodoo and sundry black magicks too). Any communication with the outside world will be carried out using messenger rats to communicate with an expendable flunky who will throw them in the general direction of the Internet.

That won't help.  You'll still get poo in the post. ;)

Emperor

Quote from: ming on 01 April, 2010, 09:12:25 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 01 April, 2010, 08:54:08 PMIf I ever get a story in 2000 AD I'll be out of here so fast I'll set fire to the carpet and I'll hunker down in my electromagnetically-shielded bunker (it'll have numerous protective wards against voodoo and sundry black magicks too). Any communication with the outside world will be carried out using messenger rats to communicate with an expendable flunky who will throw them in the general direction of the Internet.

That won't help.  You'll still get poo in the post. ;)

Good point. Better have the flunky open the mail too.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Matt Timson

Quote from: Dog Deever on 01 April, 2010, 06:09:39 PM
SBT has had a hard time- fair enough, but blaming an easily identifiable subculture within the board isn't a fair thing to do. Do the 'creative types' have some sort of secret agenda or something?
And if it was DanDontDares's comment that made Rufus fly off the handle, then (with respect to DDD) I'm unaware that he is one of the 'creative types'.
So you see the boards resident small press and semi-pro contingent are hardly to blame as a group.
The quality of the strip is almost an irrelevance in this argument- this is about the board and its posters.
Like any story- ultimately TG will stand or fall on it's own merit.

Ironically, it's a small handful of people- with SBT being quite near the top of that list- that (for the most part) keeps this particular creator away these days.  That's not to say that this is the only reason I don't participate as much now and, generally speaking, I think people always hark back to the 'glory days' of any given forum- and I'm no different really.  For some people, the board, as it is now, is at its peak- and they will look back fondly on these times some day- and who's to say that they're wrong?

I see and understand Rufus' complaint- but I still maintain that this board is far less poisonous than most of the comic forums I've ever visited- and whenever I do visit, there's always something going on that is to be applauded.  That said, I preferred it when we had a rubbish King and I was one of the big three (of which there were actually five).  The glory days, losers!

:lol:
Pffft...

vzzbux

We're just one big happy family :lol:.
Feel the love.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

Getting like a US High School movie in here!  Creatives, non-creatives, para-creators, sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads – they all adore Tharg. They think he's a righteous dude.

For my part I feel the 'creatives' (and the actual creators) give this site its unique flavour. When people are producing lovely art or writing, either for its own sake or as a springboard/proving ground for a career, it makes hanging around here feel less like fannish wanking and more like something real, at least in the unreal terms of the comics industry.  I love that I remember folk like Frazer and Spurrier as online presences before they went to play with the big boys, that I get to hear from current pros like Holden, Rennie, Timson, MacNeil, Williams, Worley etc. and the exciting community of new talent that folk like Bolt-01 and RAC represent, and the creative competitions that people like (once-and-future pro) Campbell and Kerrin shepherd.  

The assorted wiseacres, sages, care-in-the-community cases and magnificent obsessives that make up the rest of us are just as important as all that, but it's the whole creative scene that gives the site another dimension - it's not just talking about this weeks prog, last month's interview or the next collection, there's worthy comics stuff to look at all the time that you can't get anywhere else. 

If the price for all that is showing a little sensitivity before condemning someone's work out of hand, that's fine by me.

Mike Gloady

Good points well made TB.

For my part, I try not to type something on the internet that I wouldn't say to someone's face.  And I was raised pretty well so even if I'm justifiably angry about something, I'd rather be polite about it.

As for a comic - there is no way in which I can be justifiably angry about the content of a comic.  I either like something or I don't.  I can be a little annoyed for sure, maybe that something is working as well as I think it could, but anger?  No, not really.  So I'll do my best to be reasonably pleasant about any negative criticism I might have.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 03 April, 2010, 03:50:05 PM
As for a comic - there is no way in which I can be justifiably angry about the content of a comic.

Freakin' Millar apologist.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 03 April, 2010, 03:50:05 PM
For my part, I try not to type something on the internet that I wouldn't say to someone's face. 

That's always my measure. It's a good question to ask before hitting POST; would I say it like this in real-time conversation?

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 April, 2010, 03:35:03 PM
and the creative competitions that people like (once-and-future pro) Campbell and Kerrin shepherd.  

Sniff, I'm organizing the writing comp now - get on over there and vote on some fine stories and you'd know  :D!!!!

TordelBack

Ha, do keep up there Tordelback!   Also should mention the joy that is Emperor/MyGrimmBrother/Campbell/Fester/KevLev etc. etc. etc.'s Fractal Fiction, while I'm leaving people out.