Main Menu

SENTINEL - Kickstarter started for brand new Starblazer-esque digest comic

Started by Bad City Blue, 30 October, 2019, 10:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 November, 2019, 03:57:30 PM
Pet-hate alert - Half the speech bubbles (in the sample, at least) are missing punctuation.

Also, an ellipsis ... is three periods, no more, no less. Most lettering fonts have a typesetting character for the ellipsis — on a Mac you get it by hitting ALT-semicolon. On Windows, not so sure — last time I used a Windows machine, accessing typesetting characters like this was either a quick round trip to Character Map to copy and paste, or typing ALT+some not very easy to remember four-digit Unicode number.

It's worth using the ellipsis character over just typing three periods because the periods are spaced for precisely this use case, and in many fonts, they're actually designed to give a slight variation between each period and look less mechanical than just typing them out.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bad City Blue

Pet-hate alert - Half the speech bubbles (in the sample, at least) are missing punctuation.

Fine tooth comb before printing
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 11 November, 2019, 04:11:31 PM

Fine tooth comb before printing

Thought so, just checking. Lack of full-stops plagues so much small-press!
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Jimbo & Jim - they're tough, but they're... nah, just tough.

(This post was mainly an excuse to use ALT-semicolon - learning new stuff is the most exciting part of my day - but I'll throw in an "oooh" and an "ahhh!" for the Kickstarter... you go, girl.).

Bad City Blue

pauljholden

PET HATE - INCORRECT form of apostrophe in contraction: should be '
(sorry jim!)
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 November, 2019, 04:08:35 PM

Also, an ellipsis ... is three periods, no more, no less. Most lettering fonts have a typesetting character for the ellipsis — on a Mac you get it by hitting ALT-semicolon. On Windows, not so sure — last time I used a Windows machine, accessing typesetting characters like this was either a quick round trip to Character Map to copy and paste, or typing ALT+some not very easy to remember four-digit Unicode number.

It's worth using the ellipsis character over just typing three periods because the periods are spaced for precisely this use case, and in many fonts, they're actually designed to give a slight variation between each period and look less mechanical than just typing them out.

Bad City Blue

Here's a new print from Ed Doyle, showing Doyle Braddock and RHLSTP

Bad City Blue

Bad City Blue

Bolt-01

Got mine yesterday - went for the Austin cover. Not a bad first issue. If you are familiar with Alan & Ed's style you'll not be disappointed. Well worth picking up for £3.00