Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Nightcrawler. Really really good, tense, darkly humorous at times, freakin' magic. So good!

Also really enjoyed John Wick and Birdman.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Godzilla.

Too long and not enough monster. Frustratingly too little monster; all arty farty views through closing doors and windows, when I was up for some Power Rangers style monster on monster smack downs.

I know it's a budget thing but, after the Avengers, I want to see the destruction. Heck, I paid to see it. Not a pretty after shot.

And it was way too dark, in terms of lighting.
Lock up your spoons!

Spikes

Not so much last movie watched, more like movie currently watching...

Lassie come home (1943). Hope this int the one that made me cry when I was seven.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 November, 2014, 09:27:45 AM
Godzilla.

Too long and not enough monster. Frustratingly too little monster;
You've never seen another Godzilla movie, have you?

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 November, 2014, 09:27:45 AM
I know it's a budget thing...

Is it a budget thing, though?  It felt like a deliberate attempt to give the big guy some mystique, and to keep the final full-frontal throw-down special (which it is).  In hideously sexist* terminology, it's a burlesque show rather than 2 hours in a nudist colony.

I agree that I could have stood to have a little more monster, a lot more Walt, and a lot less Sgt. Kickass, but the choices did made for a distinctive movie.  Certainly better than a watching a scaleless abomination chasing Apu through the urban levels from Out-Run for what seemed like days.

*Or possibly not.

Tiplodocus

Alien and The Thing. A halloween double bill with Tiny Tips.

He declared both awesome.

I had forgotten how little gore there was in Alien and quite how much it looks like a man in a suit.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Recrewt

Two great movies choices there Tips.

You're right about Alien and there is a bit in the making of The Thing documentary where John Carpenter says how much he admired Alien but it was another movie with a guy in a suit and they were determined to do something different with The Thing.

Frank

Captain America: The First Avenger. I didn't watch it before because I thought it would be rank, but it was actually a lot of fun. Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving are hilarious, and they even get away with nicking that bit in A Matter Of Life And Death where a tearful Kim Hunter talks David Niven into the ocean for their finale.

pictsy

I'm a big fan of the first Alien film and always felt it was shot well enough to enable my suspension of disbelief in regards to it being a guy in a suit.  It is definitely my favourite film of the franchise.

Oddly I haven't got around to watching The Thing (probably not my worst cinema viewing crime as I'm often berated for not having watched American Werewolf in London).  I did recently watch They Live.  Certainly not the best Carpenter film it was pretty entertaining.  Especially the fight scene that seemed like it was never going to end.

The First Avenger was a surprise for me.  I was expecting something more bland and generic and I ended up being pleasantly surprised by it.  When I recently watched The Winter Soldier I found myself disappointed because I don't think it lived up to the expectations that the first film instilled in me.  Winter Soldier lacked the charm of First Avenger and was frustratingly predictable.

As I'm writing about Marvel films, I also recently saw X-Men: Days of Future Past.  All in all I enjoyed this film for what it was although it may have exhausted some of it's initial steam.  I enjoyed it more than First Class and was impressed by Evan Peters portrayal of Quicksilver (I don't really know the character but I liked the performance).  The only sour point was what seemed like a link to the early 2000 X-Men films which ended up introducing a confused continuity.  I was quite happy to see the cast members from those films reprise their roles, but the suggestion that all five of these films are of one continuity just doesn't sit right with me.  From what I understood the two sets of films were of different continuities.  Seemed unnecessary.  Otherwise, I really enjoyed the film.

JamesC

The Cabin In The Woods

I really like this film, in fact I think it's become something of an instant classic.
I think it gets just about everything right. It has humour, gore and scares in equal measure and it subverts the genre while also paying tribute to it. Massively entertaining.

HdE

I saw Aliens last night with a friend who had never seen it before.

Shockingly, those people exist.

I don't think it'll ever NOT be a brilliant way to spend an evening. One of my all-time favourite movies, and it has the delightful benefit of being quotable in a way movies just dont seem to manage these days.

That scene where Ripley and Newt are trapped in the room STILL makes me shiver.

One observation: You know how people complain about Lucas and Spielberg fiddling with their classic movies via intrusive CGI? I actually think this movie would benefit from a little technical jiggery pokery to update it. The dropship scenes do look a bit naff now, unfortunately.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

CrazyFoxMachine

Two colleagues of mine insisted I watch Highlander which they were stunned that I had never seen...

It's dated to fuckery but has a genuine mad charm. The Queen soundtrack is brilliant - clearly though "there can be only one" has become an awkward epitaph for the franchise...

as in there probably should only have been this one.

von Boom

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 04 November, 2014, 10:48:50 PM
Two colleagues of mine insisted I watch Highlander which they were stunned that I had never seen...

It's dated to fuckery but has a genuine mad charm. The Queen soundtrack is brilliant - clearly though "there can be only one" has become an awkward epitaph for the franchise...

as in there probably should only have been this one.

Equally stunned you'd never seen it.  :o

And no matter what anyone tells you, there were no sequels.

Satanist

A frenchman pretending to be a scotsman explains haggis to a scotsman pretending to be a spaniard/egyptian(its been a while). Even as a teenager I thought WTF!

Still love it though.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

Saw it a while back and it was just a cacophony! But loved it when younger. Several of my biker mates at the time were in it iirc.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!