General Chat > Film & TV

Last movie watched...

<< < (3362/3377) > >>

pictsy:
There's a bunch of stuff I've watched over the last few weeks.

Rocketman

The Elton John one.  This movie is far better than it has any right to be.  I'm not a fan of Elton John or musicals and I find biopics a very mixed bag.  Nevertheless, this was a story that was well told.  I don't think I've learnt a lot about Elton John.  I don't think the movie makers give a shit about that.  Seems like they just wanted to make an entertaining experience and they certainly got me there.  Loved it.

Midnight Run

Late 80's Robert De Niro buddy/odd couple movie about a bail bondsman.  Surprisingly entertaining film.

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

Don't need to say much about this one.  It's very good.

Mad God

Mostly stop motion passion project.  Bizarre hellish and grotesque depictions strung together without much in the way of coherent narrative.  This film is about the style and it oozes that.  It comes in at under 90 minutes but it leaves a HUGE impression.  Not for the easily nauseous.

Only Lovers Left Alive

Did you know Jim Jarmusch made a Vampire film?  In 2013?  I didn't.  Know I do and I've seen it.  It met my expectations of a Jarmusch Vampire film.

The Resonator Miskatonic U

This is an OK film, I guess.  It has some charm, but I feel it probably needed more.

Morbius

OK, this film.
I wanted to watch this film for the same reason I chose to watch the first Suicide Squad film.  I wanted to see in what particular way they fucked up.  I wanted to rubberneck at this apparent car crash of a film that is so awful it's still the butt of jokes.  Unlike Suicide Squad I was unaware of any major production troubles, so what could possibly make this film so terrible?

The answer is... it isn't terrible.  It's not an awful movie.  At worst, it's an average movie.  It's coherent.  The performances are acceptable.  The story is kind of generic and silly, so standard comic book adaptation fare.  It never really drags.  The CGI is a little hokey but is at least composited well enough.

I'm not sure I have ever been disappoint that a film wasn't bad before.  It's certainly not a good film.  It's just okay.  It's fine.  It even has some sincere entertainment value in things it does right.

Hawkmumbler:
Morbius is my favourite comic book movie since Venom 2.

Its incredibly memorable.

Make of that what anyone may.

pictsy:
I think it's the only comic book movie released after Venom 2 that I've seen, so it's my favourite since that film too.

It probably isn't the worse film in that recently-watched-list of mine.  Miskatonic U has a lot more flaws and isn't any more entertaining.  Although Miskatonic U does have tentacle head lady in it for about five minutes.  Morbius definitely lacked tentacle head ladies.

Although both those films suck compared to the rest of the list.  If I haven't sold watching Mad God to anyone then I really don't know what I'm doing.

The Legendary Shark:

I watched Mad God following your recommendation and - Hell fire - that is one memorable film. I've never seen anything quite like it.

pictsy:

--- Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 August, 2022, 12:11:59 AM ---
I watched Mad God following your recommendation and - Hell fire - that is one memorable film. I've never seen anything quite like it.

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you watched it.  It certainly is visually stunning, if repulsive in places.  A strange grotesque beauty, one might say.  I was very impressed by the high frame rate for the stop motion.  It was made by Phil Tippett, the guy who did the stop motion on Robocop and many other films.  He started work on it when he was working on Robocop 2 and shelves it for years before picking it up again years later after a successful Kickstarter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version