Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

I remember being hugely impressed by Company of Wolves back in the olden days and also thinking that the Angela Carter stories it's based on were the business.
Every so often I re-read the title story in Carter's The Bloody Chamber and I still love it. Florid, spooky, erotic, and damn satisfying.
I re-watched the film not so long ago, and while it didn't thrill me, I could still admire its style and ambition.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Rara Avis

Finally got around to watching Psycho Goreman and I loved it but I hate that little kid. What a $hit.

I've quite a few horrors lined up for the month that's in it - any recommendations? I don't like gore or anything with a jump scare but if you've seen anything that induced dread lately let me know.

Rara Avis

What was the name of the film somewhere recommended about a documentary film crew following a guy around who wants to be a serial killer? It's not Mad Bites Dog ... a more recent one .. I had a look back a few pages but couldn't find it.

The Legendary Shark

Cactus Jack (the 2021 film about the vile bigot living in his mother's basement, not the 1979 Arnold Scwarzenegger / Kirk Douglas western comedy) is quite dreadful. Actually, they're both dreadful but in vastly different ways.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Rara Avis on 08 October, 2022, 01:50:34 PM
What was the name of the film somewhere recommended about a documentary film crew following a guy around who wants to be a serial killer? It's not Mad Bites Dog ... a more recent one .. I had a look back a few pages but couldn't find it.

Behind the Mask?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Radbacker

Oh Lordy the new Hellraiser is quite good, maybe not as good as the first 2 (very little is imho) but nearly up there, has cut back a bit on the whole S&M vibe of the Cenobites but still recognisably Barkers work.  Love the new Cenobite design all fleshy and nasty and I really like the way they are wearing their flesh as cloths rather than the leather and flesh look from the originals.  Worth a watch it f you like your body horror.
CU Radbacker

Colin YNWA

Going to buck the apparent trend and say I thought Prey was middling at best. It did what it did perfectly effectively but what it did was nothing new, accept the apprepriate appreciation of Comanche culture.

Everyone filled there rolls so steadfastly and predictably and met their appropriate fates in exactly the manner anticipated. Its fun and rollocks along but offered nothing interesting.

Hawkmumbler

Agreed, PREY is a perfectly agreeable slice of franchise fluff but ultimately feels less than the whole of its parts and lacking a certain unruly atmosphere that makes PREDATOR 2 (the best PREDATOR film. actually) a one up on the original. Still, best sequel in 30 years is a mighty good boast.

The Legendary Shark

When I'm bored by the contemporary offerings I dip into my Marvel Films file, and today I chose THOR: RAGNAROK (again). I really love this film. Is it the perfect Marvel movie? I dunno, but it's got to be damned close.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 October, 2022, 12:32:53 PM
... the apprepriate appreciation of Comanche culture.
Which, even though it shouldn't be, is still a pretty big deal.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rara Avis

Watched this last night; all kinds of excellent:

https://youtu.be/6-G39n2sCVU

Richard

Smile is great, and terrifying!

Jim_Campbell

Black Adam

Well, that was... very much a DC superhero movie, and I don't mean that in a good way. Shame — I wanted to like it.

I mean, it's not first-Suicide-Squad bad, but it's so achingly, desperately mediocre and at just over two hours, it's at least half an hour too long. The 'characters' are non-existent, from Johnson's Adam all the way down the cast. Brosnan makes a decent fist of what little he's given to work with, as you'd expect, but the rest...? They've got nothing to work with — they're literally there to do whatever the plot requires and deliver the occasional one-liner regardless of whether it seems in-character or not.

I think one of the key problems with the DC movies is that the VFX teams (who, presumably, are only working from storyboards developed with the director's approval) only seem to know how to stage one fight. And most of the movie is fighting. And it's just the same fight, again and again. Even if the VFX were better (and they're pretty average) the fights would still be dull.

There's a point (you'll know if you see the film) where the story appears to be reaching a natural conclusion. They could have ended it there, stuck a To Be Continued on it, and it would have clocked in at maybe 90 minutes and might have been OK, but instead there's a 'twist' that's telegraphed so violently obviously that you can only gasp in wonder at the fact that none of the protagonists saw it coming, and the movie starts up again we're treated to another half an hour of the same fight we've been watching for the last hour and a half.

Catch it on a streaming service when you don't have to pay for it, and maybe drink heavily throughout.

Shit Adam, more like.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

"Shit Adam"
:lol:
Cosh would approve of this review.

I was looking forward to this based on my crush for the Rock and the trailer but this is yet another review that basically says "Splosions!" So I will go see "Banshees of Inersherin" instead.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 October, 2022, 11:14:32 PM
I was looking forward to this based on my crush for the Rock and the trailer but this is yet another review that basically says "Splosions!"

I'm generally well disposed towards Dwayne Johnson — almost all the films I've seen him in (which, I'll confess, isn't a lot) have, at worst, been thoroughly entertaining, and, at best, been surprisingly good (the Jumanjis) so, as I said, I went into this wanting to like it (and hoping DC were getting their movie shit together).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.