Main Menu

Hello! And a question about Prog 2191

Started by levireeves, 24 July, 2020, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: levireeves on 24 July, 2020, 02:11:50 PMI'm a bit lost with The Order
You're not the only one.

QuoteThinking of picking up the Caballistics collection because I'm enjoying Diaboliks so much.
Do it. It's really good.

QuoteHas the prog been consistently this good in recent years? I remember hearing some grumbles about early-era Rebellion
Mostly, people were concerned games people had taken over. But then it turns out it's the best thing that could have happened. Rebellion really care about this stuff, and now own almost all of British comics history. (In fact, what don't they own from the major players? From what I can tell, DCT, Viz and some Dare/Eagle stuff, but that's about it.)

One thing you might want to keep an eye on, if you want to catch up and have a nostalgia blast, is the 2000 AD Ultimate Collection. You can bet — as with all partworks — people will eventually start selling complete sets for way below the asking price, and that'd give you all of Nikolai Dante, Shakara, and a bunch of other stuff. (I recall grabbing 60 books of the original Marvel run for 200 quid—bargains are out there, if you look.)

QuoteThe current editorial standards are absurdly high. The writing and the art are stellar, the output is easily comparable to today's prestige television shows. I was honestly gobsmacked picking up the latest Progs.
How lovely to hear this from a lapsed and returned reader.

Also, without wishing to blow smoke up his backside, Matt Smith is a stellar editor. It's hard to think how the Prog could have received better and more consistent stewardship over all this time, and the place will be much poorer should he ever decide to leave. (Although I'm assuming Tharg will have tied him to a chair with extra-strength rope or something.)

Bolt-01

Amen, testify and all that. The prog (and Meg) has been with me for the vast majority of my life and it is as vital to me now, as it was when I was 9.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 July, 2020, 05:02:22 PM
Mostly, people were concerned games people had taken over. But then it turns out it's the best thing that could have happened. Rebellion really care about this stuff, and now own almost all of British comics history. (In fact, what don't they own from the major players? From what I can tell, DCT, Viz and some Dare/Eagle stuff, but that's about it.)

That was certainly a concern I had, not helped by a game-related strip that ran shortly after they took over.  But later we found out they were real squaxx and it wasn't just an IP-grab.

copyright thread.

From what I can tell, in addition to what you've said, they don't own any creator-owned stuff (by definition) including things published in The Phoenix.  Anything licenced (from games, TV or film).  Basically anything from a large publisher up to the 1980s is theirs.