Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

2000AD Prog 425: No escape for Smiley's people! The Slavers of Drule "Who can help us now?"

Puntastic alien slavers attack a colony world, Sláine and Murdach go flying, Marlon also goes flying, Rogue meets Moho and Anderson gets another chance to prover herself.

TordelBack

What a prog that is. Slavers of Drule is one of my favourite SDs, it sustains a terrific sense of peril for the Keebles, and the menace of an approaching Johnny. Giving Johnny and Wulf a home, however briefly, introduced a real sense of change to the strip, an escape from rinse-and-repeat adventures. Making what came next all the more shocking.

Midnight Surfer really getting going (one of my Top 10 Dredd stories), some crazy left-field world building in Sláine, Robinson on Anderson, and even Horst felt like it had potential under Ortiz's pen (though that feeling wouldn't last).

I always know the really good progs because I can remember actually buying them - this was a period where I would read the comic on the walk home from the newsagents, and if it was really good I'd stop off at an intervening friend's house to share the good news. This is such a beast.

sheridan

In itself I like the Sláine world/universe building - though I do think it jars with the more celtic stories before and after the cythron storyline...

When I look at the European work that Ortiz did it just highlights what a wasted opportunity it was to have him illustrating the Horst story :-(

sheridan

2000D Prog 426: Midnight Express – Southbound Surfer! "Intruder on track! Impact unavoidable!"

Johnny and Wulf in semi-retirement on a forested colony planet, a pilot stranded on a forested planet (apparently), Sláine... the gladiator, Marlon goes on the run (flutter? Because he's flying), Rogue gains a lead though also gains a few enemies in the next zone (ambush alert?) and the remaining Dark Judges also 'port in to an ambush.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 427: Anderson – Death or Glory? "Jusssticcce ssshall be done!"

Anderson invites the Dark Judges to limbo, Sláine has a wardrobe change, Supersurf 7 is go, Johnny and Wulf pay a trip to the farm and a 20th century earthlet Boing®s to the 22nd.

Andrew_J

Quote from: sheridan on 06 January, 2021, 10:04:48 AM
2000D Prog 426: Midnight Express – Southbound Surfer! "Intruder on track! Impact unavoidable!"

Johnny and Wulf in semi-retirement on a forested colony planet, a pilot stranded on a forested planet (apparently), Sláine... the gladiator, Marlon goes on the run (flutter? Because he's flying), Rogue gains a lead though also gains a few enemies in the next zone (ambush alert?) and the remaining Dark Judges also 'port in to an ambush.

Like TordelBack above, I can distinctly remember picking this up from the shelf in the newsagents. The cover jumped out and grabbed me by the throat! Supersurf 7 is probably my most revisited Dredd tale.

sheridan

I think I probably mentioned it in the blog, but as much as I wanted a lightsabre after watching Return of the Jedi*, I also wanted a powerboard after reading this story!

* I saw Empire Strikes Back at the cinema, but Return of the Jedi was when I was properly on board with the figures.  Also my nan had a copy of Star Wars (ANH) so I got to see that film pretty much every weekend for quite a while...

sheridan

2000AD Prog 428: Supersurf Rules Okeydokey! "Ground those skyhogs!"

Johnny and Wulf down at the farm, Sláine masters the warp spasm, Chopper gets a lead in Supersurf while Dredd gets a lead on the Supersurf finish, Ace gets news of his own finish and things aren't looking rosy for Rogue either.

sheridan

Not the best few months, but hoping to get back in to the prog slog - probably concentrating on half an hour a day rather than a post a day, so we'll see how often that ends up getting updated.

Shriekback - Nemesis

A diversion from the regular progs for another song inspired by the galaxy's greatest comic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Nice! Happy to see this project continue! It's a hard road to travel, this prog slogging, take it from me!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 18 March, 2021, 03:33:21 AM
Nice! Happy to see this project continue! It's a hard road to travel, this prog slogging, take it from me!

Speaking of which - I see your Patreon releases that Space Spinner 2000 (and Big Meg One) are getting perilously close to the end of 1992.  Time for me to compile a list of Spinnies (and Meggies) nominations?

paddykafka

Quote from: sheridan on 15 March, 2021, 01:26:15 PM
Not the best few months, but hoping to get back in to the prog slog - probably concentrating on half an hour a day rather than a post a day, so we'll see how often that ends up getting updated.

Shriekback - Nemesis

A diversion from the regular progs for another song inspired by the galaxy's greatest comic.

Hey, good to see you back, Sheridan. This is the perfect thread for a Nostalgia Fest and I look forward to its return. Thanks for all you've done. Good call on Shriekback, too. One of my favourite bands!

sheridan

Aww shucks!  paddykafka - did you manage to catch their reunion gigs a few years back?

2000AD Prog 429: Rogue Playing Games? Dragons in Dungeons!

The Stronts take on the slavers, settlers take on the aliens (but they don't know it), Sharkespeare takes on the tunnel, space truckers take on the Yellow Line and the dragoids aren't all that bad. Sss.

paddykafka

Quote from: sheridan on 18 March, 2021, 10:16:44 PM
Aww shucks!  paddykafka - did you manage to catch their reunion gigs a few years back?

Alas no, I've never actually seen them in concert as such. But hopefully - once this damn pandemic is over -they might go on the road again. (I'm not certain whether or not they've actually played in the Emerald Isle before.)

sheridan

Quote from: paddykafka on 20 March, 2021, 12:33:00 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 18 March, 2021, 10:16:44 PM

Alas no, I've never actually seen them in concert as such. But hopefully - once this damn pandemic is over -they might go on the road again. (I'm not certain whether or not they've actually played in the Emerald Isle before.)

The good news - they were still updating their blog six months ago.

The not-so-good news (for you) - no sign of any gigs in the Emerald Isle on setlists - though if that's their entire gigging history then they didn't play a massive amount of gigs in the first place.  Not compared to a few bands I've seen, anyway.