Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Olde

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 October, 2013, 11:14:21 AM
Robot & Frank. An O.A.P. gets a robot carer because his kids can't be arsed with him any more. There's not much to this film but I enjoyed it a lot. Very little of all that "does it have a soul" piffle and muchos kudos for getting all the way through without even a mention of Isaac or, indeed, any Asimovian hand-wringing at all. And the actors could all act, too - which seems to be a bonus in this day and age. 7.5/10.

I really enjoyed this film!

NapalmKev

This is The End - comedy film starring Seth Rogen, James Franco and a few others from Pineapple Express; also features Emma Watson and Rihanna. 
The Apocalypse comes to Hollywood with not exactly hilarious consequnces, but it has some funny moments.
Not bad overall.

Day of the Dead - the original version. I'm a big fan of George Romero's 'Dead' films. Some of the acting is a bit over the top but all in all a very good watch indeed.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 October, 2013, 11:14:21 AM
Robot & Frank. An O.A.P. gets a robot carer because his kids can't be arsed with him any more. There's not much to this film but I enjoyed it a lot. Very little of all that "does it have a soul" piffle and muchos kudos for getting all the way through without even a mention of Isaac or, indeed, any Asimovian hand-wringing at all. And the actors could all act, too - which seems to be a bonus in this day and age. 7.5/10.

I enjoyed this film very much. Proper science fiction if you ask me. I'd like to see more films like this.

The Girl Who Played with Fire - After seeing the first film my wife really wants to finish the other two. I relented on the grounds there would be no more rape scenes. [spoiler]Fuck. Almost the first thing they do is show highlights of that scene again.[/spoiler] Good film overall, nice tension and not too predictable an ending.

Judge Olde

This is The End ...

Banter about not raping Emma Watson alone ... funny, but in a very awkward way

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 07 October, 2013, 02:31:32 PM
The Girl Who Played with Fire - After seeing the first film my wife really wants to finish the other two. I relented on the grounds there would be no more rape scenes.

My own better half loved the book, and we watched the first (Swedish version) movie, which was a fine film, except for aforementioned rape scene, which put me off watching the others, let alone reading the books.  Do not need that in my entertainment.

bluemeanie

Oblivion
Pretty good slice of sci-fi spoiled mainly by my inability not to try and work out the story before they told it to me. Felt like an outer limits with an insane budget.

The Heat
Odd couple/buddy cop movie but with women for a change. Really enjoyed it. Iz LOVED it. Seen the same type of film loads of times but the switch to female leads and the fact they were both funny and enjoyable to watch made it feel different. Not gonna be for everybody but a fun film.

Proteus4

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 October, 2013, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 07 October, 2013, 02:31:32 PM
The Girl Who Played with Fire - After seeing the first film my wife really wants to finish the other two. I relented on the grounds there would be no more rape scenes.

My own better half loved the book, and we watched the first (Swedish version) movie, which was a fine film, except for aforementioned rape scene, which put me off watching the others, let alone reading the books.  Do not need that in my entertainment.

You guys should stay away from Irreversible, then! Makes that film look like Sesame Street
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

radiator

Caught The Talented Mr Ripley on Netflix last night - a film I hadn't seen since it first came out on video back in 2000.

Bit longer than I remember, but still a truly fantastic movie. Superb cast and performances, especially Damon.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2013, 11:33:28 AM
Caught The Talented Mr Ripley on Netflix last night - a film I hadn't seen since it first came out on video back in 2000.

Bit longer than I remember, but still a truly fantastic movie. Superb cast and performances, especially Damon.

Agreed.
Loved Ripley's Game too.

radiator

I haven't seen that one - is it intended as a 'proper' sequel to TTMR, or just a separate, unrelated adaptation of a later book?

PJ Maybe form Dredd is at least based on Ripley, isn't he?

Hawkmumbler

Going to see Filth tomorrow. It is one of the last films I was looking forward to this year. Looks very British to purlt it simply.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2013, 12:30:08 PM
I haven't seen that one - is it intended as a 'proper' sequel to TTMR, or just a separate, unrelated adaptation of a later book?

PJ Maybe form Dredd is at least based on Ripley, isn't he?

It's hard to say if its a 'proper' sequel or not, I took it as an older actor portraying an older Ripley that could well have been a continuation of TTMR.
Malkovich acts rings around Damon IMO, so I found this a more satisfying film all told.

PJ Maybe was likely inspired by Ripley alright- and Wagner likely enjoyed The Wasp Factory too.

Daveycandlish

There are half a dozen Ripley books and the Malkovitch film is an adaptation of one of the later ones. It's a shame it didn't do better box office as I thought he played it well and would have liked to have seen him in more. Anyone seen the original film adaptation of Talented.. called Plein Soleil? It's a French film starring a young Alain Delon and is a better version I think. Worth hunting down.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JudgeE1M1RT

I watched Inglourious Basterds again. Superb film making by Tarantino once again.

pictsy

Quote from: Proteus4 on 08 October, 2013, 01:28:35 AM
You guys should stay away from Irreversible, then! Makes that film look like Sesame Street

I saw that film just over 10 years ago and it still haunts me today... well, that one particular scene (the one with the fire extinguisher was pretty memorable also).