Main Menu

Spider-Man: No Way Home

Started by Leigh S, 17 November, 2021, 08:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

New trailer has me quite excited despite making this explicitly the near as dammit the same plot as Helter Skelter.

The de-aging of Molina is the first time I've been impressed by the technology

wedgeski

Quote from: Leigh S on 17 November, 2021, 08:57:52 PM
New trailer has me quite excited despite making this explicitly the near as dammit the same plot as Helter Skelter.
Ha! I hadn't thought of that.

The de-aging of Molina is the first time I've been impressed by the technology
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the first time I've been impressed (I think that was Michael Douglas in the first Ant Man), but it certainly looks to be a great job.

flip-r mk2

What if we are all hyped about the villains and the maybe appearances of the other spider- men, that it turns out Mephisto didn't die in the last film. And all those appearing in the trailer are his cgi creations.

filippo 😜
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Leigh S

It's good we are all being respectful of spoilers, or possibly wary of Covid - either way is good!

I couldnt resist and without spoilers, I have to say that was a blast!  As I tried to explain the plot to my wife she made the very succinct point that "if you are going to do something as stupid sounding as all that, you have to be doing it really well"

I'd watched the 5 Sony Spidey films in the run up and that also struck me - they are all as potentially silly and contrived as each other, but the ones that are done well, where the contrivances are there to support character and theme, well you don't even notice it.  When the contrivance is about moving the plot from A to Q, then it falls apart - looking at you Chibnall!

pauljholden

You're willing to forgive a lot if there's charm, and spider-man is very charming.

Exept Dr Strange, who I find weirldy not charming, and annoying. Less of him.

Really interesting what they did with the old With Great Responsibility line [spoiler]Essentially inverting it, all other spider-man become spider-man to make money then don't stop the killer of uncle ben and so are responsible through their inaction, whereas here spidey is responsible for aunt may BECAUSE of his action/heroics inverting his usual origin. Leaving him with the urge to do nothing because it'll get people killed. The other's essentially saying "do nothing and it'll get people killed".

Also, I did wonder what happened to uncle Ben in this universe spidey - it seems like he just never existed?[/spoiler]

And I really liked how the left it [spoiler]Spidey in a home made costume, essentially stripped of all the high tech stuff, ready to be friendly and neigbourhoodly and no more big world ending plot lines, hopefully...[/spoiler]

Was slightly frustrated with [spoiler]the Daredevil cameo, why bother? Also that whole OMG you're in trouble, nah it's alright actually, you're not - got resolved mega quick[/spoiler]

In a lot of ways it felt like [spoiler]Ok, we're built this massive complex world around spider-man, let's bring that all to a climax - every single thing that can be done - then  strip it ALL back and bring him back to basics...[/spoiler]

Although I have one hanging question which is [spoiler]I mean, why save the bad guys and then, I presume, send them back to their own unvierse/timeline on the basis they'll now get killed? [/spoiler] Felt like either that was explained when I nipped to the loo - OR it just wasn't explained

abelardsnazz

I really enjoyed this. Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe particularly seemed to be enjoying revisiting their roles. I'm a grumpy old man about a lot of things but not here.

Colin YNWA

Thought there was a thread for this BUT really, like six post for THE BEST SPIDEY FILM EVER. Yes I've said it, its better than Spidey 2 the previous title holder, or was that the Miles one whose name escapes me for a sec... whichever was the previous best this one is it now.

I mean you could say its almost cynical in the knowing way it gives you want you want, plays with you heart strings, makes you grin just as you wipe the tears. Its all the bits that could be played so wrong IF it wasn't played so charming*, wonderfully. The laughs feel genuine, the tears feel real and earned. The overblown action feels... well ... just exilerating, not tired and annoying.

All the actors seem to know they are having great fun. A returning Spidey's genuinely wonderful and lovable. MJ a delight, the miss placed villians just pitch perfect and varied enough in the motivations to feel real.

This was just brilliant. Now I just need to see that other Miles animated one to see if that can really topple this masterpiece.

*Well yeah except Doc Strange as PJ says, he's just a bit annoying.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 October, 2023, 09:19:43 PMNow I just need to see that other Miles animated one to see if that can really topple this masterpiece.

For me, the animated ones have surpassed the green-screen versions.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++