Main Menu

Quick Question re: Robo-Hunter

Started by hellscrape, 25 May, 2023, 05:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellscrape

I'm looking to get physical editions of the original Wagner/Grant/Gibson run, but of course the Droid Files 1 is prohibitively OOP.

If I were to get Verdus, Days of the Droids and Beast of Blackblood Manner and then skip The Filby Case and Killing of Kidd before jumping into Droid Files 2, will I miss anything essential? I'm trying to avoid buying the "Play It Again, Sam" collection as it means i'll double up on "Football Crazy" and the story "Play It Again, Sam."

Droid hivemind assistance is appreciated!

nxylas

IMO, everything after Day of the Droids is optional, but that might not be the answer you're looking for.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Colin YNWA

Nothing is essential but if I'm being honest the early Brit-Cit stories, especially the Filby Case are my favourites. Did the Ultimate Collection cover these stories folks?

hellscrape

Unfortunately, Hatchette books are not really an option for me in the states. My best bets are the DC/Rebellion books, or anything Titan or Rebellion!

AlexF

Oh man such a tough choice! For me, Verdus aka Planet of the Robots is one of the best comics of all time, ever, but just in the world of RoboHunter, I'd say the Filby Case is the next best.

Of course, 'essential' is kind of irrelevant here, there are no stories you HAVE to read in this series to make sense of or even just plain enjoy the rest.

I also have to say that the physical editions of the Droid Files - at least, the ones I had before I sold them to go digital - were not very well printed. In particular the Hogan/Hughes reboot strips at the end of Droid Files 2, that are actually pretty decent, were near-illegible thanks to smudgy blacks used to reprint was was originally in spanking colour.

Best bet might be to buy the newest Robo-Hunter book, and hope it sells well enough that they do a volume 2, and skip on the Droid Files entirely...

Dash Decent

I think we need to introduce Mr Scrape to DR & Quinch, too.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

nxylas

Quote from: Dash Decent on 26 May, 2023, 05:11:02 PMI think we need to introduce Mr Scrape to DR & Quinch, too.
S'right.

hellscrape

I'm open to Quinch! I tend to shy away from comedy series, they usually elicit more groans than laughter. Even though my stack of unread 2000ad books is high, I wouldn't mind stacking a few more on the pile. I don't think it too many, unlike the wife!

Hawkmumbler

Robo-Hunter really does feel like a peculiar absence in the fairly well stocked and representative catalogue of still readily available reprints from the last decade.

Alongside early Dante, specifically the Tsar Wars volumes, their absence on bookshops shelves next to the Case Files and collections of modern material feels particularly inexplicable.

Edit: Scrap that, Planet of the Robots completely flew over my head as shortly due for release. Still, be nice to have a fuller set...

Dash Decent

Quote from: hellscrape on 26 May, 2023, 08:13:37 PMI don't think it too many, unlike the wife!

Yes, best to stick to just the one wife.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

hellscrape

I think most of us would agree, one wife is more than enough!

Dash Decent

You know the penalty for having more than one wife?  You end up with more than one mother-in-law*.

*An anagram of 'woman Hitler'.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Funt Solo

An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

nxylas