Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Current TV catch-up is The Expanse, which turns out (five episodes in, at least) to be really rather good. Quite hard-sciencey, in terms of space travel, although they don't beat you over the head with explanations (however, this has left me slightly bemused the apparent randomness with which gravity appears to come and go on spaceships).

But, much intrigue, decent production values... I'm enjoying it a lot.

(Caveat: I haven't read any of the books on which this is based. Any good?)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

Starting Fringe,seems promising so far.

Proudhuff

The original Planet of the Apes TV series... its really rather good.
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 January, 2017, 09:04:04 AM
Current TV catch-up is The Expanse, which turns out (five episodes in, at least) to be really rather good. Quite hard-sciencey, in terms of space travel, although they don't beat you over the head with explanations (however, this has left me slightly bemused the apparent randomness with which gravity appears to come and go on spaceships).

But, much intrigue, decent production values... I'm enjoying it a lot.

I think they're actually using magnetic boots on space-craft, although I could be wrong.

Yes, I enjoyed The Expanse a lot.

Currently watching Taboo. I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm quite partial to period dramas anyway, but one of this nature in this time period feels quite novel.

I say "of this nature", because there are plenty set in this kind of time period, but they usually involve posh ladies in plunging neck lines or salt of the earth blokes with flintlock rifles fighting the dastardly French, or sail-ship action shenanigans. Not that I have anything against those. Something based in London dealing with a will, crime, politics and a bit of supernatural thrown in (or is it all in his insane mind?) is welcome.

The incest stuff seems to be a bit needless - put there for a bit of sexy shock value - but the rest, I like.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 January, 2017, 02:01:38 PM

I think they're actually using magnetic boots on space-craft, although I could be wrong.

I get that bit. Unsecured stuff appears to float free at times, and not at others, sometimes in the same scene without any (obvious) clue as to why.

QuoteThe incest stuff seems to be a bit needless - put there for a bit of sexy shock value - but the rest, I like.

It is called 'Taboo'...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 January, 2017, 02:07:15 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 25 January, 2017, 02:01:38 PM

I get that bit. Unsecured stuff appears to float free at times, and not at others, sometimes in the same scene without any (obvious) clue as to why.

Gotcha. Concerning gravity, I remember a bit where the fella with the hat watches a bird flying outside the window, wondering why the wings were flapping so slowly to keep it airborne... then it hit me that the asteroid gravity was low, so that was all the bird needed to stay up. But considering the way everyone walks, the lower gravity isn't really reflected.

I can understand why, I guess. It's a character drama so that's what they want to focus on, and having guys bouncing or wobbling about might take people out of the moment, and also cost more in special effects, etc, but it did feel a little inconsistent. This didn't really bother me though.

QuoteThe incest stuff seems to be a bit needless - put there for a bit of sexy shock value - but the rest, I like.

It is called 'Taboo'...!

Yeah, this did occur to me, but considering the rest of the stuff going on, it doesn't really seem needed. The word could equally apply to the nature of Delain with his strange religion* and particularly vicious streak when he fights,[spoiler] literally biting a chunk out of one guy.[/spoiler]

Come to think of it, the whole character seems rather taboo in the sense of his being out of place in that society. Of course the people he is up against ([spoiler]certain characters in the East India company in particular) are probably less moral in their own way. Hypocrisy is rife... which makes this all the more interesting.[/spoiler]What is taboo? Hmmm.

*To the less open minded people of the time period, anyway.

Theblazeuk

I believe in the Expanse sometimes the ships are under acceleration and so not everything floats around everywhere. Other times of course they don't want to blow all of their budget on a floating screw.

Goaty

So few weeks ago I start to watch Sons of Anarchy on Netflix as never see it before, enjoy it so far, now on Season 5, but tonight with cameo of Walton Goggins...  :o

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Goaty on 25 January, 2017, 07:44:18 PM
So few weeks ago I start to watch Sons of Anarchy on Netflix as never see it before, enjoy it so far, now on Season 5, but tonight with cameo of Walton Goggins...  :o

Love Sons of Anarchy, and Walton Goggins was great in it!

Stuck for what to watch one night a couple of weeks ago the wife and I threw on the first episode of Battlestar Galactica for a bit of a reminisce. It immediately got the hooks back in and every other show we were interested in has been put on the back-burner so that every evening after tea we can watch more.

Can't say I've ever had a show grip me all over again on a second time around like this, but we're absolutely loving our Battlestar evenings! Was always a special show to us (Bea came down the aisle to 'The Shape of Things To Come' from the soundtrack and my best man led everyone in an 'And so say we all!' session during the ceremony - good memories!) so it feels really nice that it's become our evening couple time once again.

Theblazeuk

You big nerds :) (So saw we Awww)

Rara Avis

Re: Jessica Jones

I knew nothing about Jessica Jones either before I watched it and I thought it was fantastic.
There is something annoying about Krysten Ritter's face but I was really impressed with her work here.

It's been a few months since I watched it but I thought Ritter played the character as emotionally damaged and unable to trust people after what happened to her.
She was a mess before she met Kilgrave and he did her no favours in that department. Jones hides herself away from the world which might explain the limited locations as well as real world constraints however it's no Arrow. Jones has been emotionally compromised and she's confused as hell but is still trying to figure it out. I thought she was a character who wants to do good but is always fighting that impulse inside herself. It made her very believable and human. I didn't think it looked cheap at all. Grimy and gritty yes but it suited the character and her story. It is a character show not an ensemble show so I thought it did a good job of showing a female and anti-hero perspective.

At least Jessica has special powers that explain why a 90-120lb woman can beat the tar out of a man or several men twice her size.

By the way if you're not a fan of gratuitous sex scenes, please be warned there is a particularly bad one in Luke Cage.

I've just finished watching The OA .. I'm not sure I would recommend it.

Tiplodocus

Made it to the end of JJ and to be fair it looks like they spent money on the last few episodes. Don't get me wrong, I thought Ritter did Ok mostly, I just don't think she delivered in a couple of the big episodes.

Luke Cage or The Expanse next.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

The Complete All Creatures Great and Small. 70s telly at its absolute best, by gum.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bolt-01

LUKE CAGE is a real slow burn of a show. I think that the cast were excellent throughout and the music was just incredible. I think that the show has some atrocious pacing issues and whole episodes would strut on by with the feeling of nothing happening.

That being said I'm glad it got a second series.

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 January, 2017, 06:03:53 PM
The Complete All Creatures Great and Small. 70s telly at its absolute best, by gum.

I'm halfway through series three at the moment. Absolutely one of my most favourite series ever.