Main Menu

Max Bubba (Ragnarok) V The Bitch - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Epic: Game 04

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 July, 2021, 07:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

One day to go here, get your votes in now and I'll announce the results in the morning.

I agree with a few folks here that state that both these thrills were overlong and neither has ever really done it for me and sit right down in my Strontium Dog rankings. The use of Reagan in The Bitch wears thin after about 2 parts and is a cold rehash the Spitting Image version of a horrible man. That said Ragnarok - as I've always called it - just rumbles and roams into areas that don't interest me for episode after episode. The Bitch however gave us Durham Red and so has a legacy to be proud of and on that basis:

The Bitch

Dark Jimbo

I've found this the hardest vote so far by some way. I think, on balance, I'm voting for Bitch. I loved finding out where/when Wulf came from - and the bookending scenes are probably the most important in the strip's history - but The Ragnarok Job just has too much padding along the way, and it's never quite as fun as you want it to be. By contrast, Bitch is a lot more fun than its reputation would have led me to believe. There's no question that it's too long, or that it leans too hard on Reagan jokes - but Reagan was before my time, and I know so little about him in any case that I can treat his appearance here as a generic 'goofy politician' character, totally divorced from the real guy. It does a lot right, too, and Durham is a hugely important part of Strontinuity who makes an immediate impression, shaking Johnny right out of the doldrums he was in post-Wulf.
@jamesfeistdraws

Buttonman

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Two similar stories here (well for me) and the battle between them was pretty tight but there was always one thrill just ahead and that one was:

Max Bubba (Ragnarok)

Portrait of a Mutant    3     10
Max Bubba                   3       3
The Bitch                       0      -3
Final Solution                0     -10