Main Menu

Prog 2341 - Kill Shot

Started by Richard, 15 July, 2023, 02:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

QuoteWhere are we in continuity? ... Maybe these are digitized versions of Sin and Dex that will fit back into the regular continuity with a bit of "how they got here".
Why would we be anywhere else but just after where we left off?

Of course they are digitised, the whole Azimuth series is set in a virtual reality world. So the car can be any colour they like.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 19 July, 2023, 10:45:12 PMWhy would we be anywhere else but just after where we left off?

Because where we left off (in the series "Dexter") was Sinister is now a creepfake that's trying to kill Dexter. Unless that's not actually Sinister there in the Ferrati, but is actually Lilith in her last disguise from the End of the Pier Show.

And, well, if Azimuth is some kind of VR-sim, there is a question of how Dexter is manifest within it. Last we saw, he was on a real pier.

It may all be terribly obvious to everyone else, but I've still got questions.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Oh yeah. I'd completely forgotten!

Grush

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 19 July, 2023, 11:15:13 PMBecause where we left off (in the series "Dexter") was Sinister is now a creepfake that's trying to kill Dexter. Unless that's not actually Sinister there in the Ferrati, but is actually Lilith in her last disguise from the End of the Pier Show.

And, well, if Azimuth is some kind of VR-sim, there is a question of how Dexter is manifest within it. Last we saw, he was on a real pier.

It may all be terribly obvious to everyone else, but I've still got questions.

I haven't read anywhere near enough Sinister Dexter to even understand what your questions mean, which is why I'm disappointed that Azimuth isn't a brand new thrill that I can enjoy without puzzling over what has gone before.

Ah well, I still have the excellent Voidrunners (until it turns out to be a spin off from Ace Trucking).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 15 July, 2023, 10:49:13 PMVery exciting to get a Saturday Prog but also very deflated by the Azimuth reveal.

I've not given up on it but it seemed liked something fresh and fun and SinDex has been, on the whole, pants for ages so it's gone from a must read thrill to ho-hum in a couple of pages.

There have been a few good SinDexes in recent years but the long, melodramatic, po-faced ones generally aren't my thing. I was re-reading some of the very old ones recently and realised they were more in the vein of D.R. and Quinch - witty, chaotic, violent, fast-moving and fun. Maybe it's just a touch of prostalgia.  Still interested to see where this one goes.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Hey let's face it even if this isn't working for some folks look at this thread. At least we're all talking excitedly about Sinister Dexter again, for good all ill. For a long time many folks seem to have lost interest - no me I've almost always loved it.

That at least has got to be worth something, a strip, that's what almost 30 years old now, Dadnett and collaboraters have found a way to fire up the interest again.

JayzusB.Christ

30 years old... ruddy heck.  I still think of it as one of the newer straps. Which leads me to ponder, how old do you think Sinister and Dexter are now? I seem to remember they were 28 around the time Dexter was at the shrink talking about his childhood.

I know it doesn't move in real time like Dredd, but a lot has happened in the meantime - even Billi Octavo must be pushing middle age by now.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 July, 2023, 08:15:43 AMI know it doesn't move in real time like Dredd, but a lot has happened in the meantime - even Billi Octavo must be pushing middle age by now.

Well, they had that dimension/timeline hopping storyline a few years back, which ended with a reset...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Barrington Boots

I'm not sure we're all talking excitedly about Sinister Dexter again, that's the problem - I'm pretty sure a collective groan / eye-roll from a lot of the board wasn't the reaction Abnett and Bettin were hoping for here.

It's not that SinDex is rubbish, although it rarely holds any interest for me now (totally agree with Jayzus above) but more that we thought we had a new thrill that was unlike anything we'd had in the Prog, and looked pretty special, and it turned out to be something that was neither.

There's the potential for further mystery and development, I know, and it still looks great..
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 July, 2023, 03:58:22 PMHow many times have we had this trope now – surprise! It's a different strip?

- The Dead Man – blew my mind as a youngling, and still has a solid set-up when read today
- Dead Eyes – start way to reboot Indigo Prime that worked pretty well
- The Vort – lovely art, and a quite good way to bring back Lobster Random
- Malone – the one quite a few folks clocked early on, and didn't do anything for me

And now Azimuth. Am I missing any?

Trifecta?

norton canes

(^ or elements of it, anyway)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 July, 2023, 08:59:26 AMI'm pretty sure a collective groan / eye-roll from a lot of the board wasn't the reaction Abnett and Bettin were hoping for here.
Yeah. The board is its own thing. I imagine the wider market won't care. But for me, it just felt like an opportunity squandered. Here was something that felt and looked like nothing else in the Prog, and it's effectively now nothing more than sleight of hand. A trick. I mean, fine. If Sin/Dex needs kickstarting again, OK. And perhaps there's another twist here. I really hope so.

broodblik

I am nots sure that I like the fact that Azimuth is a "spin-off" off Sin/Dex (I actually enjoyed the last mega-epic Bulletopia). I always like new things. But then again I am not surprised that is happening in an interview with Dabnnet and Tazio they stated they are working on a new different arc of Sin/Dex. I also feel like Dan has "earned" the right to do what ever he wants.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 July, 2023, 08:19:23 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 July, 2023, 08:15:43 AMI know it doesn't move in real time like Dredd, but a lot has happened in the meantime - even Billi Octavo must be pushing middle age by now.

Well, they had that dimension/timeline hopping storyline a few years back, which ended with a reset...

I thought it was the universe(s) around them that reset, while they stayed the same. Admittedly I can't quite remember what exactly happened there.

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 July, 2023, 02:12:41 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 July, 2023, 08:19:23 AM

I thought it was the universe(s) around them that reset, while they stayed the same. Admittedly I can't quite remember what exactly happened there.

It was the end of "The Taking of the Michael" (2015) - they wiped Moses Tanenbaum from reality - but it was the Moses from another reality. If they didn't kill him, reality itself would collapse. (Comics, huh?) When Moses 2.0 was killed, something weird happened and it was as if Sin & Dex had no criminal record anymore, and none of the Downlode people knew who they were.

They stayed the same, they didn't time travel - nobody de-aged.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++