Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

The premise of Russian Ark definitely sounds intriguing. Just imagine all the work that had to go in the planning alone, and imagine the horror if 90 minutes in someone forgot their lines or fell over in a dance routine! Of course the director had to have some steel balls, or else he wouldn't have been able to handle such an undertaking! The film must have been one hell of an accomplishment. Can't wait to get round to watching it.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: willthemightyW on 06 April, 2013, 09:05:34 PM
Ay, Goodfellas is indeed brilliant.

Haywire by Steven Soderbergh, pretty fun action movie with some very well done fight scenes and some lovely shots of Dublin

Damn i almost forgot about that film! There was a lot of talk at the time of it being the 'female Bourne'. Another film i must add to my watch list. (i've got a lot of catching up to do, so many films and not enough time).

My Twitter @nexuswookie

HdE

Not that I'm trying to take anything away from anyone who saw Haywire and enjoyed it... but I really think that's an objectively terrible movie.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

Forbidden Zone (dir. Danny Elfman)- Still my all time favourite musical (as well as possibly me second favourate film of all time) and a bloody barmy film to boot. Very much a throwback to the 30's Boop and Pop Eye cartoons played before features in theaters it come's off as a very LSD influenced film. Director Dan himself pull's off one of the most memoriable performances of Satan you will ever see and in one of the most catchy tune's in the film, Squeezit the Moocher. It's one of my life goals to see Mr. Elfmans stage show, The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo, of which this is partialy influenced but chances are I might never get the chance.

Noisybast

Oz the Great and Powerful. Good film, working well both as a prequel and as its own film, with some nice Raimi-ish touches scattered throughout.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

willthemightyW

Quote from: HdE on 06 April, 2013, 09:19:51 PM
Not that I'm trying to take anything away from anyone who saw Haywire and enjoyed it... but I really think that's an objectively terrible movie.

Fair enough, to some extent I can see some of the ill will directed towards it, but I don't know, there is something I really like about it, I just can't put my finger on it!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

HdE

Quote from: willthemightyW on 07 April, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Fair enough, to some extent I can see some of the ill will directed towards it, but I don't know, there is something I really like about it, I just can't put my finger on it!

And that's equally fair enough!

Sometimes, we just like something. We can't really work out WHY, and maybe we even feel like we probably shouldn't... but if you're entertained, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Also: That Gina Carrano, eh? ;)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Mardroid

It's just started and I might not watch it all the way through but... A Knights Tale.

I thought to myself... meh, when it was mentioned. Then they sang "We Will Rock You" by Queen at the start of the tournament. I kid you not. If it was just background music I'd find that a bit out of place, but the characters were joining in with the rhythm  and dancing and everything...

I think that would irritate a lot of people but I find that kind of  meta-wacky-silliness appealing.

While I think I've seen this film, (or parts of it) before I didn't remember Alan Tudyk* was in it too.

*Wash from Firefly as you probably know.

Mabs

A Knights Tale is great fun! And the late Heath Ledger is in it too (what a miss he is to the acting world). Alan Tudyk is also an actor i keep an eye out for, [spoiler]i remember getting near teary eyed when his character died in Serneity. He was such a likeable character, why did Whedon have to kill him off?  :'([/spoiler]

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Mardroid on 07 April, 2013, 02:10:18 PM
It's just started and I might not watch it all the way through but... A Knights Tale.

I thought to myself... meh, when it was mentioned. Then they sang "We Will Rock You" by Queen at the start of the tournament. I kid you not. If it was just background music I'd find that a bit out of place, but the characters were joining in with the rhythm  and dancing and everything...

I think that would irritate a lot of people but I find that kind of  meta-wacky-silliness appealing.

While I think I've seen this film, (or parts of it) before I didn't remember Alan Tudyk* was in it too.

*Wash from Firefly as you probably know.

A Knight's Tale is brilliant!
Chaucer has one of the best screen entrances ever and gets to say, "I will evicerate you in fiction."

Link Prime

Just finished The Dark Knight Returns Part I & II (accompanied by a pint of iced alka seltzer, a bacon & cheese toastie and a recliner couch).

Good enough.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Sightseers: A spoiler heavy review.

A charming little movie about a couple who go on a caravan holiday. [spoiler]They also murder a lot of people, that bit's not so charming.[/spoiler] The main focus is on the couple, brilliantly played by Alice Lowe [spoiler]who seamlessly swings from sweet to psycho[/spoiler] and Chris Oram, who is entirely convincing as a recently made redundant guy, that just wants to be happy, and also make his girlfriend happy by showing her the world. The only other characters  are [spoiler]initially introduced to disrupt the happiness of this sweet young couple, and then get murdered. Apart from [/spoiler]the girl's mother, it seems like she will play a role, but unless I missed something, she more or less disappears off the radar about half way through.

The whole thing is quite surreal, but also believable. [spoiler]There's an excellent scene where they've had an argument and the girl goes off to a pencil museum by herself, where she buys a 25 quid giant pencil and then tries to write a letter to her boyfriend, explaining her feelings. With a four foot, completely unwieldy pencil.[/spoiler] Utterly bizarre to watch, but totally believable. [spoiler]It's also a clever visual metaphor for the character's awkwardness when dealing with her emotions.[/spoiler]

Humour of the blackest kind is this movie's calling card. Certain scenes make you feel happy and sad at the same time. The last movie that did that for me was Super (SHUT UP CRIME!). [spoiler]The violence is really well handled too. One of the first murders is quite brutal, but it never shows the violence explicitly, it only the shows the aftermath, with the victim looking horrifically mutilated. I thought this was quite clever, it might have been too light-hearted otherwise. You could've have ended up actually[/spoiler] sympathizing with the couple, because their interactions are so sweet and lovely, [spoiler]if you hadn't seen the horrible results of their actions. Yet strangely[/spoiler] you still root for them, you  want them to be happy, you tell yourself, 'If you just stop now, you might just get away with it and live happily ever after!' but they don't. And the ending is left open, which is just perfect. It seems like it has been telegraphed quite early on, but it subverts your expectations wonderfully.

Overall, one of the best movies I've seen in a while. A dark but sweet, two headed character piece.[spoiler]A more emotionally intelligent and mature Natural Born Killers[/spoiler] I just cannot recommend this enough, unless you're depressed or in an unhealthy relationship.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

The Sweeny (2012).
JamesC really does have it right, it is The Shitty.

darnmarr

Fahrenheit 451 (read the book, & the play, only got round to the film now)
Some nice touches here and there but overall it doesn't work: pacing/acting/dubbing accents are just weird; and everytime they 'mobilise',- the firemen really just evoke Trumpton.
There was very few literature quotes and no giant robot dog; literature and a giant robot dog was always the best things about the story, for me, NIL POINTZ :(

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 08 April, 2013, 03:27:44 PM
the firemen really just evoke Trumpton.

That's what I love about it and it's speeded up too. The action-men in Jet-packs I hated.

And it has a MONO-RAIL.