Main Menu

Possible reboot of the classic TV series The Avengers

Started by rogue69, 20 January, 2024, 10:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

A reboot of the cult favourite 1960s spy drama The Avengers seems to be in the works, with Industry creators Mickey Down and Konrad Kay penning the script,with Sex Education's Ben Taylor is attached to direct the pilot after Charlie Higson and Paul Whitehouse turned down the offer last year.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/avengers-1961-reboot-industry-sex-education-newsupdate/

Daveycandlish

I see theme tune composer Laurie Johnson has dropped down dead today which shows you what he thought of the reboot idea.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

The Avengers is in this odd position where it's maintained a pretty steady cult following for the solid 50 years its been off the air, has little legacy material, and the one theatrical outing was so utterly dire it poisoned the franchise chalice basically indefinitely.

As curious as a reboot or continuation would be, The New Avengers is honestly proof enough the formula was a product of the 60's and can't really function outside of the 60's.

nxylas

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 22 January, 2024, 06:56:24 PMI see theme tune composer Laurie Johnson has dropped down dead today which shows you what he thought of the reboot idea.
I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned in the RIP thread yet, that I've seen.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IAMTHESYSTEM

It's a TV show that is very much of its time, so you could see it being problematic to younger audiences. A creepy, old guy gets women into danger every week and then invites himself around to dinner. They'll probably concentrate on Emma Peal as your POV character rather than Steed. They reinvented Sherlock Holmes for the 21st Century, but I can't help feeling that The Avengers has nothing more than nostalgia and curiosity going for it—two seasons at best.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla