Main Menu

Judge Dredd Goes Bad

Started by Funt Solo, 11 October, 2005, 07:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Would you like to see Dredd crossing the line, breaking the law and supporting a vigilante approach to "untouchable" perps?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Enigmatic Dr X

Despite my views on the current story, no.

It would be hard to see how you could have him come back from such a radical step.

Far better, I think would be for it to be sanctioned from on high. He could then object, but still give the support on the basis that he is only following orders. That also allows for a neat tension between Dredd and the vigilante.
Lock up your spoons!

Mikey

To quote/paraphrase "I smell vigilante,creep!"

There was a letter in the last ish I read about Dredd having become softer in recent times-not sure if it's just that there has been more focus on him as a person rather that a function.

I agree with Fate-can see potential,but feel resistance to the idea in principle,grudammit!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dark Jimbo

I can't see Dredd taking such a radical step to outwardly flouting the law. He's recently been tweaking stuff here and there to get his way, particularly in Blood Trails, but to actively condone a vigilante - that's just pure and simple breaking the law, and that's not Dredd. No matter how much he might sympathise, mabye even respect Slaughterhouse in some ways, he couldn't condone this - ultimately the law is all, and he would feel obligated to arrest or kill Nate.

Although it would be nice to see him set up a meeting or something where Nate can kill Boss Shultz, before he arrests him. That's about as soft as Dredd's ever gonna get, I reckon, and even that's pretty unusual for him.
@jamesfeistdraws

Generally Contrary

If he did, I'd expect it to be part of a story arc that culminated in Dredd's death.  I agree that coming back from that would be too great a step, shattering the credibility, and the whole point, of the character.

Thursday

"Would you like to see Dredd crossing the line?"

No; as has been pointed out it would be too much of a departure for him, whichever way you look at it.

If Dredd enforces the law purely for the sake of the law, obviously he can't condone someone going around breaking the law.

If he enforces the law because (in his view) that's the best way to protect the city, he's unlikely to approve of such violent vigilanteism: cits running round killing anyone they disapprove of, even if they are perps, is unlikely to keep the Meg safe and stable.

Either way, I can't see Dredd allowing Slaughterhouse to carry on without some kind of directive from above.

GordonR

Is scojie back again so soon?  "I think Dredd/Rico/Giant/Mrs Gunderson should turn bad!" is the kind of thing he always comes up with.

Generally Contrary

They should all 'turn bad', take the Long Walk, form a Cursed Earth gang, and fight Judge Death!

Art

http://www.arthurwyatt.co.uk/images/blog/death.jpg">

WoD

Queen Firey-Bou

but then it would all turn out to be a dream & they wake up in the shower together..

whereupon Dredd duly arrests everyone for public indecency, and attempting unjudcial liasons.

Judge Olde

What a silly idea.

What about if JD became x y or z. Yawn. Why not read a different comic...

Floyd-the-k

No.
 Mind you, there's a contradiction in the story, as far as I can see. Some of the time, the stress is on the absolute power the Judges have; they are judge, jury and executioner etc. Other times, and especially recently, they are just like cops, albeith with helmets and eagle thingies on their shoulders, bowed down with regulations, having to let bad guys go because it's the law. Both approaches produce great stories, so I'm not complaining here, it depends on what the writer wants to stress. When the 'absolute power' assumption is driving the story Dredd doesn't need to be a vigilante - he can just dream up a reason for knocking someone off and go for it.

Funt Solo

>> Is scojie back again so soon? "I think Dredd/Rico/Giant/Mrs Gunderson should turn bad!" is the kind of thing he always comes up with.

Who suggested that?

As I read it, people were discussing how far Dredd might lean in sympathy to a vigilante, given what's going on in Mandroid currently.

The original question was just that, a question:  not a suggestion.  I'd hope an intelligent writer could spot the difference.

Still, if it makes you more comfortable to just be aggressive and dismiss people as Scojo-clones, it's a free world:  knock yourself out.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Conexus

Err, no fate, you were asking if Dredd should cross the thin blue line and support a vigilante, which he's never done before unless there is an external, far greater threat (e.g. allying with Batman against Death)

And what the fuck is the difference between a question and a suggestion- looks like you're playing twaty games with semantics again