Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Another great page BB you're gathering up a nice wee collection.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Rogue Judge

Beautiful page, all panels look great!

Barrington Boots

Got this one back from the framing guys at the weekend:

Neither the crappy lighting in this pic (nor the printed Prog page itself do justice to how the colours look on this page. They're really vivid. Really pleased with this!

broodblik

Awesome, little bit (actually a lot) jealous
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

That's a cracking page Boots bet it's in pride of place on the wall 👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Oh Wow that's amazing Barrington Boots. I have a number of Simon Fraser pages but a John M Burns Dante page is very close to the top of my wish list. Magnificent.

Barrington Boots

Thanks dudes! Not on the wall yet as I'm not sure where to put it - it's far too nice to go in my little office, but trying to avoid having comic art up all over the house!

broodblik

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 07 February, 2023, 10:23:24 AMThanks dudes! Not on the wall yet as I'm not sure where to put it - it's far too nice to go in my little office, but trying to avoid having comic art up all over the house!

Do not worry Boots I have a nice spot open here in my home office
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: broodblik on 07 February, 2023, 10:30:45 AMDo not worry Boots I have a nice spot open here in my home office

You're a gent, I'll bring it over  :)

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 February, 2023, 04:51:27 PMGot this one back from the framing guys at the weekend:

Neither the crappy lighting in this pic (nor the printed Prog page itself do justice to how the colours look on this page. They're really vivid. Really pleased with this!

Wow what a beautiful page! And well done getting it framed up like that, looks amazing. I have too many pieces I plan to hang but are just sitting in folders. I'm thinking of buying cheap frames then learning to cut the matting and do it myself...that will get the job done, but yours looks perfect!

Barrington Boots

Cheers Rogue! If you have a really nice, or expensive, piece I'd really recommend getting it professionally framed. It's not cheap, but if it's going to be up on a wall for any length of time it protects the artwork and stops it from fading or becoming damaged. Also I think it makes the art itself look way cooler with the mount etc. If you do hang something definitely post a picture on here of it, seeing peoples collections is awesome.

I much prefer having art up, rather than in a folder, but that's way easier said than done. It's also one of those collections that hard to show off as most people who come round to my place either don't care, or just think it's a page cut from the comic.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 February, 2023, 07:57:10 AMOh Wow that's amazing Barrington Boots. I have a number of Simon Fraser pages but a John M Burns Dante page is very close to the top of my wish list. Magnificent.

Show us your Frasers Colin!

Rogue Judge

Agreed Boots, I like having the art on display too, it's just the cost to frame that keeps it in folders. I could get another page of art...or get a page framed. I always end up with the latter and in the folder it goes. Your frame really inspires framing though!

If I get a cheap frame but use quality, acid-free mounts, I should be okay to frame any art without damage, yeah? I have a 'man cave' with no windows so light won't be an issue. Any consideration I'm missing?

Barrington Boots

I totally understand where you're coming from: I've got some pages where the frame would cost more than I paid for the art and it's a bit of a dilemma. I've framed my really expensive bits, and a couple of older pages from the 80s, but not sure what to do with the rest. What kind of folder do you store yours in? I could do with something like that for pages I don't have up.

From my reading and conversations with my local framing guys, the big things to consider are acid free mounts and special glass to protect it from sunlight, so yeah, you should be ok there based on my understanding. Obviously don't glue or blue-tack the art to the mounts or the backboard - mine are hung from the top of the mount with some kind of archival mounting tape.

GoGilesGo

My first post in the channel and also a word on frames. I have three of these Nelsen frames, measuring 100cm x 50cm. Formerly used to display Australian daybill movie posters, all now repurposed for Dredd original art.

I got this page direct from Carl Critchlow a couple of years back, the climax of the Trifecta storyline.

A bit of dead space around the three pieces but I enjoy seeing the original art alongside how it appeared in the prog...and of course, the cover to 1812 is a beauty.

Larger image here