Main Menu

Fargo TV Show

Started by Judge Olde, 22 April, 2014, 03:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Olde

Couldn't see any thread as yet, so I thought I'd ask...

Who's seen it & what did you think?
I saw it yesterday & was surprised by how good it was & how fast the pace was. It's 10 episodes for the first series & I can't wait for the second. If you haven't seen it yet, you really should treat yourself.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Judge Olde on 22 April, 2014, 03:01:41 PM
It's 10 episodes for the first series & I can't wait for the second.

Unless you know something I don't, there isn't going to be a second outing - it's a finite narrative-driven series, more akin to a six-part BBC drama than the usual bloated US stuff (and all the better for it, in my opinion.)

'Twas utterly superb, all the same. It managed the very neat trick of paying obvious homage to the film with every shot, every musical note, every bit of dialogue, but I never felt as though it was retreading old ground (though it came close a few times!) or watching something that was trading on old glories. Freeman was an inspired choice for the lead - his appealing 'hapless everyman' schtick making him a worthy sucsessor for William H. Macy - and Billy Bob Thornton was a class act all the way. Loved that chilling last scene where he just talks quietly at the cop and reduces the man to a nervous wreck!

Also very, very funny, albiet in the very darkest shade of black.
@jamesfeistdraws

Heath C Ackley

I loved it. As a fan of the Cohen brothers, I was relieved to find that they had continued the off-beat tempo and dark humour from the movie. Freeman plays the unassuming, beaten down Lester with ease. Thornton is wonderful. It would be all too easy to over-act in such a role but he gives a sublime performance; brooding and menacing but shot through with mischievous humour.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Judge Olde

Ah, ok - I'd much prefer 10 good episodes than watch more shows go the way of Dexter

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Judge Olde on 24 April, 2014, 02:46:07 PM
Ah, ok - I'd much prefer 10 good episodes than watch more shows go the way of Dexter

Exactly!
@jamesfeistdraws

COMMANDO FORCES

Just catching up on this with Caz, as I recorded them as they aired, due to excellent reviews that I'd seen. Have to agree with ZippoCreed, Thornton is just superb and hilarious without meaning to be, as he's so mischevious in between kills!

Just finished episodes two and three tonight and there's not an ounce of fat on the script, as it rattles along beautifully. By the way, Thornton on the toilet was truly laugh out loud ;)

Fungus

Best show on the box. Thornton is terrific, not so keen on Freeman but this doesn't get in the way too much when there's so much to like about the plot, tone and supporting characters.

Feels like a shortish run may be wise, as said.

Dark Jimbo

Well, we finally got an explicit link to the film the week before last, and what a great little easter egg that was. Although when the car broke down at the start of the episode I did think 'It'd be good if [spoiler]they stumbled across the red ice-scraper and the money Steve Buscemi buried[/spoiler]', and then volia!

Things are really hotting up now as all the storylines dovetail together. Can't wait for the next episode!
@jamesfeistdraws

Fungus

Aaahhhhh..... now you mention it...
Saw the film at the time, so plenty time for me to forget much of the plot. Ta for this.

IndigoPrime

Despite the involvement of the Coens as exec. producers and a great cast, I didn't have high hopes for this. But, wow, what a great series it's been so far. Pitch-black humour and some really smart writing; the cliffhangers have been superb. And, yeah, that link to the original was subtle and worked perfectly.

The Bissler

I'm loving the show as well! 

The one thing I'd disagree with is the link to the film that everyone else liked. 

[spoiler]I always loved the fact that the events in the film were all such a waste of time and no one ever benefitted from the money.  I was really unhappy when I saw that someone did find it.[/spoiler]

Other than that, it's great!

Frank

I only really enjoyed the last ten minutes of the first episode, but you've all convinced me to give the series another go. The other episodes are still up on 4OD.

Hoagy

[spoiler][/spoiler]Ah... I'm hoping the Bissler is suitably recharged, invigorated by [spoiler]how the money situation is turning through[/spoiler] the most recent episode.

Bizarre, haunting, sinister, but grounded with it's dead-weight humour it allows me as a viewer to see introspection acted out with quality performances. Jimbo and a certain newsrag are justified more and more each episode about the casting of Martin Freeman but the growing respect I've gotten from Billy Bob Thornton throughout FARGO TV Series is a real surprise for me. Just when I thought he'd met the ceiling via Slingblade he pulls this Malvo from who knows where!

Back to the relationship of Freeman's character (not an easy name to recall) and his brother in the latest episode. [spoiler]Bidding me to wonder whether the dialogue is referring to F's transformation as a victim of circumstance or manifest destiny! [/spoiler]

Then maybe for all involved in this revealing episode.

Like I say on telly watched thread and now conscious of what is said here about the cinematography, it's just pitched it up to another level in those blizzard scenes.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Dark Jimbo

Sheeeeeeee-itt!

Talk about yer game changing episodes! Just finshed episode 6, what an absolute belter that was! [spoiler]Four, maybe five, characters dead!?[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

Judge Olde

Now they're coming back with a series two ...