Main Menu

The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 May, 2016, 02:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Who doesn't like The Possessed?  Why I have a 28mm model of little Hammy/Gargarax on my desk to prove my love.

The only problem I see is that those first three stories (Dark Judges return, possession of kids, doomed connections with edgy foreigners) basically used up all of Anderson's plotlines forever.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 July, 2017, 01:15:26 PM
Who doesn't like The Possessed? 

In my head, a rather messy place and certainly not one to be trusted, it has a pretty bad rep. I might be wrong?

I, Cosh

Who doesn't like The Possessed?  Why I have a 28mm model of little Hammy/Gargarax on my desk to prove my love.
Idiots. That's who.
We never really die.

Frank

The only problem I see is that those first three stories (Dark Judges return, possession of kids, doomed connections with edgy foreigners) basically used up all of Anderson's plotlines forever

Oh my god ... It's like when someone points out a squint. You'd never have noticed it yourself, but now you'll never be able to see anything else.

And yes, everyone loves the Blish kid.

AlexF

I love the Possessed, too! I don't know that I've ever heard of it having a bad rep as such, but compared to some stories I think it's often overlooked. Certainly when it comes to Anderson I get the sense that more people slobber over the Four Dark Judges and Shamballa (and, for a while in the 90s, Childhood's End). But I'm no psychic.

My underrated classic Anderson of choice is R*Evolution, which did introduce a new plotline - Anderson gets trapped inside someone else's mind, that happens to contain many other minds, including at least one gorilla. (Used to good effect a second time in WMD)

It's no coincidence that Prog 468 and its neighbours are so excellent - this is the era written almost entirely by Wagner and Grant, with just one page per week by Milligan/McCarthy - and occasionally 3-5 pages of early Future Shocks from G. Morrison and J. Smith. Good times!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 25 July, 2017, 10:52:59 AM
My underrated classic Anderson of choice is R*Evolution, which did introduce a new plotline - Anderson gets trapped inside someone else's mind, that happens to contain many other minds, including at least one gorilla. (Used to good effect a second time in WMD)

My first Anderson story, so a favourite of mine, too! Plus I love any appearance by Mega City's ape contingent. It probably spoiled me a bit, in retrospect - I assumed all Anderson stories must be exciting travels into other people's dreams, minds and memories, or Dr Strange-esque cosmic jaunts.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

My underrated classic Anderson of choice is R*Evolution, which did introduce a new plotline - Anderson gets trapped inside someone else's mind...

Damnit, if only I'd included the Anderson solo story from the '85 annual, Mind of Edward Bottlebum, I'd have covered that plot too!

Magnetica

At the risk of jumping massively ahead... but every much on the subject of using up plots... I caved and bought Dark Justice in the recent sale. In there it says, when Greg Staples suggested a new Dark Judges story to John Wagner he was initially reluctant, saying all Dark Judges stories follow the same basic premise: they show up, wreak havoc, then Dredd defeats them ( guess that should be Dredd and / or Anderson defeat them).

So maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that exactly what happens in Dark Justice. And I assume a variant of that will also happen in Dominion.

Anyway I bought it for the amazing art.

And I do love the news reports and journal updates.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 July, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

My first Anderson story, so a favourite of mine, too! Plus I love any appearance by Mega City's ape contingent. It probably spoiled me a bit, in retrospect - I assumed all Anderson stories must be exciting travels into other people's dreams, minds and memories, or Dr Strange-esque cosmic jaunts.

Well I appear to be wrong about Possessed which is good. Nice to hear such love for it.

Equally great to hear people biggin' up R*Evolution too. I'm also a massive fan of that one too... though I'm getting ahead of myself there!

Colin YNWA

A few thoughts on the latest Progs from back in that there 1986.

I'm enjoying Metalzoic a lot more than I thought I would. Always think of this thrill as less than the sum of its parts. Not this time. Crackin' stuff.

While I love Sooner and Later it doesn't half flap around... which is probably the point. I keep checkin' I've not missed one!

Nemesis Book Six is weird... not in subject matter but more the fact that a chase through the Time Wastes as a father desperately hunts his errant son helped by his arch... well ... nemesis boils down to folks chatting exposition on the beach... yet still I bloody love it!

Unlike Garpetbaggers which is... well thank chuff Ace Trucking has come back to the Prog so this lumbering mess isn't how it bows out!

Jez Judge Dredd is just flying during this time, simply flying. I mean check out Atlantic Part 2 page 1 (Prog 486, cos I mean it check this page out... go on I'll wait...) for a strip that is so implanted in my noggin cos of its astonishing visuals that is one sweetly written page. Man its just perfect!

I'll come back to Strontium Dog in a few Progs... oh man will I. I have a correction to make!

Magnetica

I just love those scenes in the beach in Nemesis. A real highlight of the 40 years of the Prog.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 July, 2017, 09:28:35 PM
nemesis boils down to folks chatting exposition on the beach... yet still I bloody love it!

Pretty much Bryan Talbot's exact thoughts on the story: "a bunch of weirdos at the seaside having a chat."

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA link=topic=43337.msg964394#msg964394 date=1501446515

Unlike Garpetbaggers which is... well thank chuff
b]Ace Trucking [/b]has come back to the Prog so this lumbering mess isn't how it bows out!

It's terrible stuff, isn't it? Pretty much everything involving Captains Evil Blood/Guts and chickens could be excised from Ace Trucking and it would improve the quality of the overall strip by 50%. How did we get from Too Many Bams to this...

Greg M.

I suppose it's the inevitable end result when you get a pair of writers to write a series they don't particularly want to write any more. That said, whilst Garpetbaggers is indeed absolutely terrible, at least the series goes out on a high with the '89 annual story, which is great (and beautifully painted), and brings 'Ace Trucking Co.' to a very fitting conclusion.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 July, 2017, 10:02:02 PM
I suppose it's the inevitable end result when you get a pair of writers to write a series they don't particularly want to write any more. That said, whilst Garpetbaggers is indeed absolutely terrible, at least the series goes out on a high with the '89 annual story, which is great (and beautifully painted), and brings 'Ace Trucking Co.' to a very fitting conclusion.

Oh this one has evaporated from my memory... entirely it would seem. Looking forward to refreshing myself on this one.