Main Menu

Prog 2045 - Apocalypse Then!

Started by Judge Olde, 18 August, 2017, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muon

Great to see Hope back. Every week there's a one-liner that cracks me up.

The new Dredd story looks like it's going to be a good 'un.

Muon

Appt Polly loggies for the double post, but I just wanted to address the points about balance in the political satire in 2000 AD.

I listen to a few satirical radio shows and subscribe to Private Eye as well as toothie, and I think this is a difficulty most satirists are having at the moment. The "right" is not only ridiculously powerful at the moment but it's also shat out figures like Trump, who are so cartoonish and reprehensible that it would almost be neglectful not to ridicule them.

On the other hand, the "left" is so ineffectual at influencing public discourse right now, it just doesn't offer much content for interesting satire. Private Eye persisted with a very poor feature called "focus on the old left" for a while until they clearly realized that all it did was draw attention to stuff Jeremy Corbyn said 35 years ago every week and present it as some kind of massive revelation. I guess the liberal preoccupation with identity politics can generate some funny stuff (and I think there was a Sam Slade story in one of the specials that had a bit of fun with that), but I guess even that is pretty limited in scope and you can come across as pretty callous if you ridicule people for calling for social justice.

I've enjoyed some of the political stuff we've seen in 2000 AD recently. It seems pretty broadly done and not particularly cutting but quite fun at the same time.