Main Menu

Prog 2187: Worlds of wonder

Started by The Monarch, 22 June, 2020, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 25 June, 2020, 07:05:58 AM
So far, the whole series reminds me of City of the Damned, but I think that was Williams aim from the beginning.

Ah-hah, I completely missed that aspect. As a fan of CoD, this perspective may help me enjoy EoD more.  So far it all feels... perfunctory: here's Brit-Cit, a megacity, we'll just drop in and wander about. Is there no-one running the place?  I

I'm also not sure that Colin's version of Ichabod works very well - he looks a bit cuddly-cowboy compared to Dom's merciless killer (although it goes without saying that that the dark visuals for the rest of the strip are dripping with menace and foreboding).

broodblik

In a interview with him he also stated that he wants to recreate the classic Dredd tales, he mention Judge Child specifically.  For me it feels more like CoD
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, End Of Days artwork is brilliant. Atmospheric and terrifying but I didn't recognise Ichabod until named (especially on that first non Colin cover).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 June, 2020, 09:17:03 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 25 June, 2020, 07:05:58 AM
So far, the whole series reminds me of City of the Damned, but I think that was Williams aim from the beginning.

Ah-hah, I completely missed that aspect. As a fan of CoD, this perspective may help me enjoy EoD more.  So far it all feels... perfunctory: here's Brit-Cit, a megacity, we'll just drop in and wander about. Is there no-one running the place? 

I'm going to avoid the obvious political joke and say that I agree with you; it did seem a bit curious that Brit Cit was being presented as some kind of ghost town.  Kind of like Manhattan when Halo Jones got out of the Hoop first.  But Rob William's past mentions of Brit Cit seem to echo Dave Stone's Amsterdam-like vision of the place, which is fine by me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

MumboJimbo

Right, been a bit remiss in reading my progs recently, but caught up with the last 3 over the weekend.

There's a definite scale of narrative approaches to the modern prog, from the prosaic, workmanlike approach of, say, Skip Tracer or the recent Hershey strip, all the way to the right-out-of-leftfield WTF did I just read?-ness of say the recent SK Moore drawn Defoe.

The way I see it is that the prog usually has its 5 strips evenly spread(ish) on this sliding scale, but currently everything is polar.

In the grey corner, we have the current Dredd, shaping up to most by-the-numbers epic I've ever read. Seems to be riffing on Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens, but sadly the least interesting part of that story. Someone in a previous week's prog review called it 'perfunctory' and coincidentally that's the exact word that sprung to my mind too. Dredd and Anderson's dialogue is feeling off for me too. The whole "oh well, I guess I'm gonna have to save the world again, shucks" thing is just not Dredd at all for me, not how he'd conceptualise it at all. He'd focus on the next action of the job at hand, and not soliloquise in such a manner!

In the luminous puce corner we have the other 4 strips, each as barmy as a wool piano. I am coming around to the conclusion that The Order is not meant to be understood per se, and more experienced as a fever dream painted by John Burns. And I think I'm ok with that.

Full Tilt Boogie has gone in more a Proteus Vex direction than I was expecting, but that's cool. Diaboliks I've put in the puce corner although, like Dredd, it has been in a rush to establish its set up and characters more than I'm comfortable with but it's still pushing the zany nob to 11 so it makes puce on that alone.

The MVP award goes to The Out though. Art and world building that just pushes all my Rebellion-era 2000 AD buttons. It's hooked me in so much, that if the remaining episodes just consisted of aliens laughing at their own farts, I'd probably forgive it.

MumboJimbo

To be fair, I should also say, that given the caliber of the people involved, I fully expect the initial teething problems of this Dredd epic (as I see them) to right themselves over the course of the story.

Greg M.