Main Menu

Prog 2181 - Reporting for duty

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 May, 2020, 08:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

All hail Tharg
All hail The Phoenix

Once again two great comics arrive as on time as is possible these days. Fantastic stuff. As is the cover even if its a generic Dredd its a pretty bloomin' fantastic Dredd.

Speaking of pretty damned fantastic Dredd that's what Neimand (who he, who he) and PJ provide us and Chimpsky's plan fall into place.. well except for Dredd of course...

Aquila the flames wash away years of pain and damage and our heroes - or what passes for them in this strip are reborn a new in Hades... one assumes that not necessarily a good thing and we are left hanging. Which is odd - well its not its just that I thought this was the last Aquila story, not sure where I got that from??? Looking forward to this one returning.

Survival Geeks has a fantastic and disarming passage as events reach their games masters turning point and we await nerd fate. Fun, nothing more.

Future Shock... is so unshocking. Unless I misread something this is entirely based on the idea that a [spoiler]jealous lover locks [/spoiler]some folks out of a post apocolyptic safe house. Is that it? Did I miss something. Wafer thin - if even that - by my reading. Nice art though.

Hershey is just brilliant as ever. The series got mixed reviews here last week. I can't agree, while folks might feel slighted by what this replaces, to me it just adds. Or folks might struggle with its handling of Hershey - I've taken the whole point as this is a damaged and broken woman finding her final redemnation and rocked to her lowest this week we see what's its been building to. There is is in control regardless of what she faces. Fantastic.

Great Proggage one weak story aside.

IndigoPrime

Zero for three so far here. Mini-G upset about no Phoenix. Perhaps tomorrow.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 May, 2020, 09:39:11 PM
Zero for three so far here. Mini-G upset about no Phoenix. Perhaps tomorrow.

Fingers crossed its out there. Hopefully just a post thing.

Bolt-01

Prog landed in Brum about an hour ago. Just in time for lunch...

Ahem. Thanks Tharg. I really do appreciate the efforts you and all the droids are going to just now.

Another, utterly outstanding prog - really enjoying the heck out of all of it.

One thing - and spoilers are there for a reason - [spoiler]In Hershey, the big, burly male with one eye and a beard reminds Hershey not to forget who she is, to which Hershey says 'that's rich, coming from you' - Frank? Is that Frank? I may be wrong, but I wanted to get it down here. [/spoiler] Seriously - you've been warned.

Colin YNWA

Oh my gosh Bolt you could just be right. I'd completely missed that... I wonder...

Jim_Campbell

ISTR the Williams droid saying something very oblique on Twitter a little while back — not a confirmation of Bolt's speculation by any stretch of the imagination, but it caused a flicker in the back of my head. I didn't dare to hope, though...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

I think Colin says it all pretty well, and Bolt could be right good spot!
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Richard

That star scan by Mark Montague is phenomenal!

A.Cow

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 May, 2020, 08:43:31 PM
Speaking of pretty damned fantastic Dredd that's what Neimand (who he, who he) and PJ provide us and Chimpsky's plan fall into place.. well except for Dredd of course...

Hmm ... like a few others, I'd wondered if Neimand might secretly be the Rennie droid, but the average word length is too low for that.  I'm now fancying Si Spurrier.  (Not in the Biblical sense, mind you.)  Have been re-reading Lobster Random recently and it's set my Spidey-sense tingling.  (Again, not in the Biblical sense.)

Quote from: Richard on 12 May, 2020, 11:39:11 PM
Future Non-shock.

What he said.

broodblik

A good solid prog with just one miss for me and one story that ends to soon. A must give kudos for the cover great stuff mister Lynch.

Dredd – The story is really heating up and hopefully Chimpsky can get out of this mess.  A good Dredd story with good supporting art by PJ.

Aquila – A little bit of a let-down this episode since it ends very much like in the middle of the story. I am at least glad Aquila will return.  This was a fascinating story so far.

Survival Geeks – That two-page middle section is how I can describe the story, fun action full, gory when it needs to be and entertaining.  Googe as this series evolved has become better and better

TFC – I might have missed something in this one there was no surprise or a shock for me. The art form Mutti is always food though.

Hersey – Great story and let us see how Bolt's theory holds up. I must again compliment Fraser for his use of colour to drive the story.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Timothy

Good to see the silver badge returning to the cover. I always much preferred it to the gold version.

IndigoPrime

I really hope Neimand is... Neimand. I get why there's so much speculation about his identity, but it'd be great if someone this good arrived fully formed. If Neimand is a pen name, I find it baffling that people are suggesting he's Rennie. The style of Dredd is so different from what Rennie used to write. Spurrier... there is some overlap there, but it's not really setting off my Spidey sense in the same way as Mr. Cow.

Ewing is the writer Neimand's Dredd seems most like to me. Regardless, I'm just stoked at seeing such consistently great Dredd in the Prog again, despite Wagner's ongoing (and presumably more or less permanent) absence.

paddykafka

I'm just seeing all the writer droids in the command module standing up, one after another, and declaring, a-la-Spartacus: "I'm Neimand!" ... "I'm Neimand!" .... "I'm Neimand!"...