Main Menu

prog 2184 End Times A-Coming

Started by The Monarch, 01 June, 2020, 03:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Thank you Tharg for keeping the thrills coming as he delivers another great prog covered by a great front cover. 5/5 for me

Dredd – Interesting start to the new epic. Great to have Colin MacNeil back on art duty. Interesting choice of character to bring back. [spoiler]Williams like his horses and the four is coming is pointing to the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse[/spoiler]

Sin/Dex – The first episode reads like a set up for the bigger story to follow. The story end's in a cliff-hanger. As always Yeowell's art is complementing the story beautifully, with colouring from Johan Charles.   

The Order - Let the roller-coaster ride begin....... more like a super-duper train-coaster ride. Saddle up your horses and let us go, yeeha. Good first entry for the new time-twister, time-bender, time-wrecking thrill.

TFC – This was a very enjoyable shocker. Everything from art to story was excellently done. I wish we had more shockers like this.

Diaboliks – A good first entry to the Cabalist-verse.  Good to see Reardon back on art duty. Let us see where the story takes us.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Aaron A Aardvark

Good prog this week.

Four good starts - with Dredd the standout- and an excellent Future Shock.

Cracking cover, too.

Richard S.

I love Dan Cornwell's art and will buy a prog if he's in it - if you want to know what issues of the prog / meg he's contributed too then I've been keeping a record over on my blog...

http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2020/06/updated-dan-cornwells-work-for-2000ad.html

Happy Thursday all!
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

AlexF

It's really a very strong Prog. Way better than Prog 1184, and at least on a par with Prog 184.

TordelBack

Quote from: AlexF on 04 June, 2020, 10:08:03 AM
It's really a very strong Prog. Way better than Prog 1184, and at least on a par with Prog 184.

Very interesting idea for a current-issue review thread, Alex  - compare this week's prog to two earlier issues with matching digits.  I wouldn't restrict it to thousands, but you could vary things by hundreds each week look at (say) 84, 584, 1584 etc (otherwise you'd just end up doing three consecutive Prog Slogs). I'd seriously think of doing it meself, but I haven't got a collection that is either accessible or complete...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 June, 2020, 11:05:25 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 04 June, 2020, 10:08:03 AM

Very interesting idea for a current-issue review thread, Alex ...

Isn't it 184 sure has a classic cover (and Star Scan on the back some to that). Its got some great thrills, but also if I'm honest some not so great - so I might rate this Prog a little higher.

Similarly the firs three thrill in 1184 are gold (Wagner and Kennedy Dredd; Missionary Man - Promised Land Tsar Wars Dante) but it wrapped but with a couple of clunkers so again this one tops it for me.

broodblik

An article about Full Tilt Boogie starting next week: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/how-2000-ad-writer-alex-de-campi-crafted-full-tilt-boogie-1297189?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Warning the end of the article contains the first page of the series so if you do not want any spoilers just do not scroll to the bottom.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jacqusie

So great to have Rob Williams back on Dredd and what a concept, I think Dredd needed something meaty to get into and Williams is the man to deliver a 15 episode summer epic.

I think the fact that Ichabod has pootled around through time and so many realities makes him a good candidate for a crossover and it will be intersting how Dredd gets on with him, I doubt they will be cracking many jokes.

Dredd's getting old, forget the daft body rejuve, he's still old mentally and physically and grumpy and this forboding tale of the horsemen looks to be the right fit all round IMHO, including the McNeil art which makes a welcome return and looking forward to the other crossover when Henry Flint picks up the brush.

Williams and McNeil together at last on Dredd, fabulous stuff

norton canes

Ex-tra-ordinary. The faster the world accelerates towards hell in an H-wagon, the more Tharg pulls out the stops and gives us better and better progs.

Seems kinda strange not to have a Kenneth Niemand Dredd story in the regular prog these days, but Rob Williams' overture serves as a moody counterpoint to the KN's wistful tales of late. Not read any Ichabod Azrael so I'm eagerly awaiting my first taste of the character. The Order roars back in its inimitable fashion, daring me to go back to previous chapters to recall what the hell was going on but I resist, content to simply let its beautiful pulpiness suffuse me. A Future Shock that looks like it could have been written and illustrated in the mid-1970's, and is content to revel in its own strangeness. Diaboliks arrives like a bullet from the blue, just when we thought - with the epilogue and conclusion of Absalom - that the world of Caballistics Inc. was done and dusted. And completing the line-up it's SinDex, like rolling yourself in a big comfy blanket. Of thrills. A thrill-blanket.

How this is all going to get any better I've no idea, but surer then munce is munce I know it will.

Richard

I liked the art on that Future Shock. Hopefully we'll see more from him.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 06 June, 2020, 06:10:10 PM
I liked the art on that Future Shock. Hopefully we'll see more from him.

Would be great - alas Chris Burnham's a big ol' name in the US so not sure Tharg will be able to tempt him across often. We can  always hope mind.