Main Menu

Prog 2225 - Justice Served

Started by Magnetica, 27 March, 2021, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

First time in a long time I've read the Prog on a Saturday.

A new Dredd thriller " A Penitent Man" starts. And it's absolutely cracking. Great art by Tom Foster - we really need to see him in the Prog much more often. The story is intriguing and a nice introduction, plus there is a mini twist at the end. Really looking forward to this.

I really like Thistlebone and think it will be worth re-reading the first series just to make sure I have got all the plot points. It seems to be building nicely.

A Deadworld spin off called Visions of Deadworld starts. It's kinda ok, but I long ago lost track of what I'd going on in this series. But this can be read as a stand alone terror tale set in that world.

Speaking of Terror Tales, there is one of those as well. It's not really my kind of thing, but is was ok.

Rounding off the Prog is another of my favourites - Feral and Foe. Just the usual excellence from Dan Abnett and Richard Elson.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Interesting mix this Prog - a couple of done in ones and stories in various stages of their runs. Makes for interesting times.

Dredd - Start of a new Niemand, this time with Tom Foster more than ably assisting. Its a good opener. What happens when a 20 year Titan Judge returns to the big Meg. Well if the odds are stacked against a regular citizen then, well you can imagine. Seeds being sowed and we are already given reason to care about our ex-con Kyle Asher. Excellent

Thistlebone - the creepy and disturbing are high on this Progs agenda and nothing says creepy and distrubing more than a Robin signing to you from the 'corpse' of a taxidermied badger... actual you might not believe it from that description, but its Thistlebone, of course it works.

Visions of Deadworld - well love can set you on fire...but in Deadworld we know its course will not run smooth. Yep this one cranks up the disturbing.

Terror Tales - the twisted history of a seperated twin and the violence that surrounds him. More creepy and disturbing thank you. You know by this stage you'd think we'd been topping out on our creepy and disturbing but each of these last three thrills has done it so differently. It kinda fascinating.

Then though we get the palette cleanser of Feral and Foe - played for hoots and it delivers. Brilliant stuff.

Pretty good Prog and Mr Watson will want to check out the last page...

Colin YNWA

Oh and the Nervecentre calls out some positive sounding news about sales in hard times - watch some commentators twist and turn to make this one into a negative.

Goosegash

Worth nothing that the Terror Tale is the return of John Tomlinson to the prog after 11(?) years.

JimmyNailz

Really enjoyed the opening to this new Dredd story. Niemand has fast become my favourite modern Dredd writer and I'm glad we've had a run of stories penned by his hand. Tom Foster's art is as lovely as ever.  I don't fancy poor Kyle Asher's chances!

Side note: Has there been an SJS story where they aren't the bad guys? I'd be well up for a Line Of Duty style SJS story where they are rooting out genuinely "Bent Judges" (or should I just get doodling a picture of SJS Judges Hastings, Arnott and Flemming and get this fan-fic concept out of my head?)

Thistlebone keeps up the creepy but I too need a reread to remember who the main players are and where we left them at the end of the first arc.

Visions Of Deadworld - DARK JUDGE SEX ACTION!?!?! Certainly got me hot under the collar! I'd have thought any pleasures of the flesssssh would be very much frowned upon!!! Very enjoyable stuff though. I like a Deadworld one-shot. It makes it much easier to follow.

Terror Tales - Suitable creepy story with great black and white artwork. Enjoyed it muchly!

Feral & Foe - Love these characters and this chapter kept up the fun dialogue. Greatr stuff.

Overall, another great prog. Aren't we lucky Earthlets!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 30 March, 2021, 11:59:22 AM
Side note: Has there been an SJS story where they aren't the bad guys? I'd be well up for a Line Of Duty style SJS story where they are rooting out genuinely "Bent Judges" (or should I just get doodling a picture of SJS Judges Hastings, Arnott and Flemming and get this fan-fic concept out of my head?)

Really like that idea - though does Jaegir kinda cover that ground all be it in a different setting and context?

Bolt-01

Ahem --

Tales of Mega-City One - A Cold Heart by writer Heath Ackley and artist Dave Peloe

I'll just leave this here, shall I?

Bolt-01

Oh, quick prediction for 'A [spoiler]Penitent Man' -- The Cit that was beaten to death was responsible for the death of the former Judges family.[/spoiler] There are other thoughts than this, but this is the one I'm going for.

The Corinthian

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 30 March, 2021, 11:59:22 AMSide note: Has there been an SJS story where they aren't the bad guys?

Buell and Garcia were usually portrayed as being basically decent. And there are a few stories where SJS give Dredd a hard time because it's their job rather than out of actual malevolence.

Barrington Boots

After last weeks Prog of mainly jollity this was one a bit dark.

Dredd - Great start to this series, establishing Asher as a sympathetic character and Dredd as a right git. This is a story I'm surprised we haven't seen told before. Does Niemand mainly write from the cits point of view or am I imagining this? Tremendous art from Tom Foster.

Thistlebone - Feels like this is starting to pick up. For an episode that was 90% two people talking in a green room, still holds your attention. Something I like about this story is that we still have no idea what is going on whatsover and it's creepy as. I didn't realise until my second readthrough that the badger has binding running through it's ribs that someone's obviously put there.
One thing I wasn't sure on was why Seema is running out of the hospital feeling sick before she encounters this mustelid horror?

Visions of Deadworld - What a completely fucked up little story that was! I really love Deadworld, a thrill so grim by wife has stopped even looking at the pictures, and I'm especially into these little short form stories where the horror is more of an intense hit and the worldbuilding is sprinkled about. Fire being characterised as a bit.. fiery works for me. The thought of this one having a follow up is almost too awful to contemplate (in a good way)

Terror Tales - These stories are hit and miss and for me this one was a miss. Nothing especially wrong with it, just didn't click for me. Nice to see a new John Tomlinson credit though.

Feral and Foe - Played 100% for laughs this week, Feral and Foe absolutely rules. Art and story are just top notch - it reminds me a little of when SinDex was still fun.[spoiler]My theory: Gyre and Krodgun have also been bodyswapped which is why Krodgun keeps saying what a top dude he is.[/spoiler]

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Magnetica

Quote from: The Corinthian on 30 March, 2021, 01:15:07 PM
Quote from: JimmyNailz on 30 March, 2021, 11:59:22 AMSide note: Has there been an SJS story where they aren't the bad guys?

Buell and Garcia were usually portrayed as being basically decent. And there are a few stories where SJS give Dredd a hard time because it's their job rather than out of actual malevolence.

As an SJS strip like that suggested would be great, I think.

ianlineham@yahoo.com

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 30 March, 2021, 11:59:22 AM
Side note: Has there been an SJS story where they aren't the bad guys?

They literally have skulls on their helmets

"Are we the baddies?"

broodblik