Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: Rage Against the Machines

Started by broodblik, 16 March, 2022, 03:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

They were built for 'Atomic', 'Bacterial' and 'Chemical' warfare. They are the war-droids they are the ABC Warriors. Let's get to it who is your favorite ABC Warrior:
- Hammerstein
- Deadlock
- Joe Pineapples
- Blackblood
- Mongrol
- Steelhorn / The Mess
- Mek-Quake
- Ro-Jaws
- Happy Shrapnel/Tubal Caine
- Hitaki
- Mad Ronn
- Terri
- Morrigun
- Zippo
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Ro-Jaws!

Love Ro-Jaws and so do my kids (girls, ages 5 & 8). I made them a Ro-Jaws t-shirt from an Ian Kennedy painting and they grew to love him from there. Now, they haven't read the comics but I make up stories and they always ask me to draw him in a variety of situations (on a unicorn, in a pool, eating garbage, riding a dinosaur etc.). I've probably doodled/drawn him a hundred times!

Barrington Boots

Got to be Mek-Quake. He's just the right side of farce, which makes him often hilarious. Mek-Quake's recycling episode was a high point in a very poor ABC Warriors run for me. He's also been consistent in his chsaracter throughout his appearances, unlike Mongrol, Joe, Hammerstein etc.

As a younger reader I really liked the visual design of both Hitaki and Mad Ronn, I remember being disappointed at their quick ends, especially the latter.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Magnetica

So are Ro-Jaws Mek-Quake even ABC Warriors? They were not constructed as war droids.

I guess more of a case could be made for Mek-Quake but Ro-Jaws whilst being a droid who appeared in the strip and hung out with the warriors, was never an official member. But Mek-Quake was eventually- after being one of Torquemada's war engines.

Anyway I'm going to have to go with Hammerstein.

And have pun-based names ever influenced the characteristics of characters as much as Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein and had such longevity?

The Legendary Shark

Deadlock, because he's weird - just like me...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

AlexF

SO MANY great characters from this series, pretty much all had a chance to shine (except maybe Hitaki, whose greatest hero moment is also his most orientalist...)

For being consistnetly fun and managing never to have his character mangled...
it's Blackblood for me - followed closely by Hammerstein.
Pity the Mess, who got cleaned up, and Mongrol, who lost his charm, and Deadlock, who yo-yoed from being a silent werido to an irritating wizard and back again
For the record, Ro-Jaws 100% counts as a Warrior, whether he's being arguably the most Khaotic of all in Krhonikles of Khaos, or being a spy in the later part fo the Volgan War saga.

Timothy

Not a vote, but a small comment that I have some sadness that Mad Ronn and Hitaki didn't get more of a chance to shine. I love the design of Mad Ronn in particular. My vote though goes to Ro-Jaws

paddykafka

Richard

Blackblood

(I don't think Ro-Jaws counts either.)

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Can I change my vote to Blackblood?

He is easily one of 2000ADs best villains. Certainly the most treacherous. And he he seems to very overlooked. For instance he wasn't even mentioned in the recent vote on best villain.

Southstreeter

Joe Pineapples. Just a sweet transistor.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 March, 2022, 07:31:56 PM
Can I change my vote to Blackblood?

As always you can vote as many times as you want it is the last vote that counts
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Deadlock for me - also the prototype for the Terminators (read the O'Neill episode where the Grand Wizard was introduced then follow up with Comic Rock and the first book of Nemesis).