Main Menu

FFT - FINNNALLLLL1!!! - Strontium Dog vs Nikolai Dante

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 September, 2022, 06:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sponsored by 2000ad in Stages - see links below.

Strontium Dog - more info

VS

Nikolai Dante - more info

There really is no need for fireworks, extra razzmatazz, Burt singing the Quaxxann national anthem, the quality of the thrills is all we need to sell this final. Sit back and watch, well after you've voted, these two titans go head to head.

There is a favourite but can Dante make this a thrilling head to head. The next four days will tell us all. This one is for the title Forum's Favourite Thrill!

Form book - Thrills vanquished to date (in order of round met earliest to latest):

Strontium Dog: Angel Gang; Absalom; Ant Wars; Slaine; Bad Company; Halo Jones; Lawless

Nikolai Dante: Age of the Wolf; Caballistics Inc; DR & Quinch; Survival Geeks; ABC Warriors; Savage; Nemesis the Warlock

FINAL - I'd like to pretend this is to give these epic thrills more space and time to be commented on AND I think we'll allow them an extra day to run as only two ties all week. So to make sure everyone gets the chance we'll wrap up on... well I'll come to that.

To Vote Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 11th September and the winner gets a place in the Semi Finals.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rogue Judge

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

abelardsnazz

Dante is tremendous but I think Nikolai is a worthy runner up in the ultimate Battle of the Thrills.

Strontium Dog.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

IndigoPrime

I mean, this is a foregone conclusion, but it is interesting that both of these strips are now effectively done. (I mean, we might get some random Dante one-off at some point, or other creators might decide to continue Strontium Dog, but, really, they're 'complete'.)

Both have their merits. Stront benefits from excellent finite tales you can dip into, without reading the entire thing. But if you were to read the entire thing, there's a lot to trudge through as well. Dante works very nicely as a finite tale. Honestly, I'm not sure either of these would be my number-one choice, although both would likely make my top ten. Dante gets the nod though.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Dante.

It's totally, tonally, a different strip, and comparing the two is to me a little like asking which is the 'better' tv show- The West Wing or Yes, Prime Minister. Better in what way? They do different things.

But Dante wins it for me because it completely reinvigorated the prog at a time that was desperately needed.

Um, a bit like Stronty did with the Starlord merger. Probably best not to think about this too much.

But yes, Dante.

SBT

Barrington Boots

I've sort of run out of good things to say about either that hasn't already been said by me or by others. IOt's not an easy choice between two thrills that, on their day (and their day was most days) are just superlative comics.
Like IP I like to dip in and out of Stront - when I'm just hanging about it's my favourite comic to just pick up and read. Dante, on the other hand, I've read from start to finish several times and it's the thrill I've most recommended to others over the years as a 'must read' comic strip.
I'm going to go with Nikolai Dante. It's such a fantastic bit of work. 
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Aaron A Aardvark

I've read all four semi finalists recently, so my choice was decided well in advance.

Nicolai Dante

Magnetica

Like Alex on the 3rd place thread I feel like I've said a lot about these thrills already, so I'll just give me vote (for now at least):

Strontium Dog.

Leigh S