Main Menu

The Gingerdead Man

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 10 August, 2010, 10:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

This is my entry to the board's current short story competition. But, given that no one really looks at that, I thought it was only fair to let everyone see the fantastic pictures that some of the fine talents on this board kindly agreed to do for it - the theme is to do a 2000ad children's story, and I thought it would be a fine idea to have it illustrated.

Many thanks to those who kindly gave their time (and shame on those who didn't even reply to my request - boo hiss!).

I fear my words don't do the pictures justice, especially as I spent more time posting this than writing it. But I didn't want it to languish unseen.

There's plenty more exciting and groovy stories to be seen on the competition thread, and all the other ones, so go, go, go and look at them.

It also makes me wonder if there shouldn't be some kind of collaborative competition on the board, maybe for a comic strip, but I don't know if there is an appetite for that.

EDIT:

I learned a few things doing this.

1) Some folk on this board were born BEFORE Necropolis, or at least were in nappies at the time. Piss off you.
2) A shocking number of artists here haven't read The Dead Man. Go buy it!
2) Dealing with artists is like herding cats. Only by email.

[Emp edit: Splitting off first post as requested by Dr X, new post is in the short story competition post:

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,29219.msg535904.html#msg535904

Hope this doesn't cause too much confusion]
Lock up your spoons!

chilipenguin

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Emperor

Brilliant!! Well done everyone.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

locustsofdeath!

Very nice story, very good idea.

I only wish - and I don't want to sound like a party-pooper - that it would have been first posted in the short story thread and reposted later so that all the stories are on an even playing field. As you said, not many go to that thread (something we have to fix), but they may look at this and go in a vote without giving the other stories much of a shot.

Not that it's about winning, mind, it's about fun - and this is great.

This bears another question - should the artists that contributed to the picture story be allowed to vote?

Again, sorry if I sound like an arse - I have to again say how much I like what X and the artists have done - I'm just thinking like the moderator of the contest...

Sorry. Do I sound like an arse? I must  :(.

EDIT: Please don't let the above ruin your enjoyment of the story - use it as an excuse to read the others in the contest!

Trout

You're a very silly man. I like it.

Colin YNWA

What absolute class. Fantastic.

Daveycandlish

A work of genius Doc - and well done to all you pencil monkeys who contributed!

Brilliant!

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Amazing work, chaps and chapess.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 10 August, 2010, 11:54:53 PM
I only wish - and I don't want to sound like a party-pooper - that it would have been first posted in the short story thread and reposted later so that all the stories are on an even playing field. As you said, not many go to that thread (something we have to fix), but they may look at this and go in a vote without giving the other stories much of a shot.

I didn't give this too much thought and I got it wrong.

The reason for a stand alone thread was two-fold. First, and the lesser reason, is that I wanted to make sure the artisty types got their pictures seen by their contemporaries. Second, and the main reason, was that I was hoping to provoke a discussion about whether or not it was worth having a new competition to produce strip and have proper collaboration between writer types and drawer types and didn't think a competition thread was the place for that.

On balance, though, I should have posted the story to the story thread and then linked to it in this one. I suspect it's closing the door after the horse has bolted, but if an admin want to arrange for that to be done then that would be dandy.

Sorry Locust, and sorry to all those who have gone to the effort of posting on the writing competition thread.

Although, I did tell everyone I was going to cheat.
Lock up your spoons!

CrazyFoxMachine

lol I think it's clear which one of us hasn't read it afore - not me obviously look how bloody spectacularly accurate my Phobia and Nausea are...

Didnae see any of the other ones til now - all ya'll be AMAZING. cheers for the opportunity!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 August, 2010, 08:12:33 AM
I didn't give this too much thought and I got it wrong.

On the other hand, this is a magnificent advert for the good things that go in the story comp. 

Dandontdare

Brilliant stuff there, well done to all concerned. I now understand the reason for all those fruit and veg based puns in the chat room the other week!

One odd thing - I saw all the iamges at home last night, but at work some images (eg from photobucket) are not visible. In this example, all the pics are missing except Staticgirl's. I'm curious as to how this works - was this image posted differently thsan the others?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 August, 2010, 08:16:09 AM
lol I think it's clear which one of us hasn't read it afore - not me obviously look how bloody spectacularly accurate my Phobia and Nausea are...

Didnae see any of the other ones til now - all ya'll be AMAZING. cheers for the opportunity!

At least three others hadn't read it. Two asked for references. (One drew Dredd's badge).
Lock up your spoons!

Bhuna

Bloody hell, that was great. Well done all.
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress