Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 27 June, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 28 February, 2020, 08:03:08 AM
The 2019 Tammy & Jinty Spcial was Stevie's favourite single issue of any comic which he read last year. July can't come soon enough!

Certainly in my Top 5 for last year - in fact at the weekend I noticed it was still in my daughter's re-read pile, a singular honour since most of her seemingly insatiable diet of reading gets consumed and dumped in the charity shop box.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dash Decent

Judge Fear's Big Day Out and Other Stories - Paperback, 416 pages, 10th November 2020

New anthology collecting the very best prose stories from the pages of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

A shopping mall where droids sell organs harvested from street trash...

A murderous imaginary friend...

A psychotic composer drafting music from pain...

All in a day's work for the Lawman of the Future.

Edited by and with an introduction by Dredd veteran Michael Carroll, Judge Fear's Big Day Out and Other Stories gathers the very best short stories from more than a decade of the Judge Dredd Megazine, including stories by legends Alan Grant, Gordon Rennie and Simon Spurrier, among countless others...

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

More "JUDGES" novellas - only listed for Kindle at the moment.

I shall wait for the omnibus print edition...!

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Robin Low

Quote from: broodblik on 04 March, 2020, 02:20:53 AM
The Vigilant is coming back for a final run in the June Judge Dredd Megazine:

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/rebellion-announce-final-chapter-story-vigilant-judge-dredd-megazine-june/

That's rather disappointing. I really hoped this would be an ongoing thing, even if it was only one or two issues a year. I guess the sales just weren't there. Hope there's enough material for a collection.

Regards,

Robin

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Robin Low on 04 March, 2020, 07:01:06 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 04 March, 2020, 02:20:53 AM
The Vigilant is coming back for a final run in the June Judge Dredd Megazine:

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/rebellion-announce-final-chapter-story-vigilant-judge-dredd-megazine-june/

That's rather disappointing. I really hoped this would be an ongoing thing, even if it was only one or two issues a year. I guess the sales just weren't there. Hope there's enough material for a collection.

Regards,

Robin

Its great that Rebellion are trying so many different things and trying to find different vehicles for the characters it now owns. Alas this rich vain of experimentation will probably mean we see various things fall by the way side so at least they are wrapping things up neatly rather then let it drift into the ether.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 04 March, 2020, 07:01:06 AM

From the link:

QuoteThe complete story of The Vigilant, featuring work by Simon Furman, Simon Coleby, DaNi, Henrik Sahlstrom, Warwick Fraser-Combe, Staz Johnson, Will Sliney, and Jake Lynch, will be collected in a 128-page paperback graphic novel this September.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 March, 2020, 07:37:16 AMIts great that Rebellion are trying so many different things and trying to find different vehicles for the characters it now owns. Alas this rich vain of experimentation will probably mean we see various things fall by the way side so at least they are wrapping things up neatly rather then let it drift into the ether.
Yep. Great integrity to find a space and budget to wrap things up, rather than just go "oh well, then". I suppose that makes people more likely to buy as well, instead of thinking that something might just get abruptly axed after X issues.

It's a pity that The Vigilant didn't make it, but I'm not overly surprised. It was so incredibly dense to the point it flirted with incoherence. I admire the ambition, but it tried to cram a trade's worth of content each of the two issues, surpassing even 2000 AD's typically blaze-through approach. If only it had been given room to breathe (which would of course have required a larger market to buy the thing in the first place).

I wonder how many pages it'll get in that Meg, in order to finish the run? Here's my quick count of the purely strip pages we've had so far (which may not be entirely accurate):

Death Man: 6
Maelstrom: 24
Yao: 6
Death Wish: 6
Steel Commando: 7
Legacy: 35
Doctor Sin: 4

So that's 88. I imagine you'll get the usual intro pages/character bios/covers. So probably wrapped up in 24 pages or so?

MumboJimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 March, 2020, 10:03:34 AM
Yep. Great integrity to find a space and budget to wrap things up, rather than just go "oh well, then".

Yes, I was thinking the same - would've loved a 3rd special, but if the sales weren't there then I'm totally happy with this solution.

I definitely agree with you that the compressed nature of the storytelling, particular the rather "WTF?" im media res opener didn't help it. Also, you have to be in your 50s to remember anything other than the Leopard from Lime Street from your childhood. It was slightly surreal to buy a comic in my late 40s and think, "maybe this is intended for an older audience than me"!

Overall though I loved it and very glad the team are getting a proper send off. Oh well, maybe the GN will do better, who knows?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 04 March, 2020, 10:12:16 AM
I definitely agree with you that the compressed nature of the storytelling, particular the rather "WTF?" im media res opener didn't help it. Also, you have to be in your 50s to remember anything other than the Leopard from Lime Street from your childhood.

Highly weird that the first Vigilant came out before any of the relevant Treasury reprints! (Steel Commando, Dr Mesmer's Revenge, etc)

'Hey kids, buy this great new comic about these old British heroes - you won't know who any of them are because their stories aren't in print any more; we're going to reprint all their old stories, but not until a year or two after this comes out and you've long since moved on to other stuff!'
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

The Vigilant, this might be the cover for the Meg:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 March, 2020, 08:22:38 AMFrom the link:

QuoteThe complete story of The Vigilant, featuring work by Simon Furman, Simon Coleby, DaNi, Henrik Sahlstrom, Warwick Fraser-Combe, Staz Johnson, Will Sliney, and Jake Lynch, will be collected in a 128-page paperback graphic novel this September.

Jolly Good. Missed that.

Regards,

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 March, 2020, 10:03:34 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 March, 2020, 07:37:16 AMIts great that Rebellion are trying so many different things and trying to find different vehicles for the characters it now owns. Alas this rich vain of experimentation will probably mean we see various things fall by the way side so at least they are wrapping things up neatly rather then let it drift into the ether.
Yep. Great integrity to find a space and budget to wrap things up, rather than just go "oh well, then". I suppose that makes people more likely to buy as well, instead of thinking that something might just get abruptly axed after X issues.

That is certainly true. And the collection that Jim kindly pointed out demonstrates a greater degree of commitment that one might have expected.

QuoteIt's a pity that The Vigilant didn't make it, but I'm not overly surprised. It was so incredibly dense to the point it flirted with incoherence. I admire the ambition, but it tried to cram a trade's worth of content each of the two issues, surpassing even 2000 AD's typically blaze-through approach. If only it had been given room to breathe (which would of course have required a larger market to buy the thing in the first place).

That's also quite true. It was nice to see another comic on the shelves, but it might have been more successful as a 2000AD series. I just kinda liked that fact that it felt like its own thing, and not just another 2000AS series.

Regards,

Robin

Mardroid

Hmm. A shame its finishing. (For now anyway.) I always liked the concept. I struggled with the first issue a bit - it so needed more time to breathe- a strange thing to state these days where so many are (at least mentally) yelling "GET ON WITH IT!"  at comics or TV sets. The second issue wasn't perfect either but it was an improvement, and none of it was bad comics. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I felt it really showed promise.

If they're going to finish it, I'd have preferred they do one last issue, rather than combine it in the Meg,  but no doubt they have their reasons.

Hoping this won't be forever. Even if the Vigilant itself is finished for good, it would be nice to see further stories concerning the characters individually.

IndigoPrime

Quoteno doubt they have their reasons
The only obvious reason I can think of for this decision is that not enough people bought the comic. If enough people had, it'd surely be a standalone edition.