Main Menu

“Truth? You can't handle the truth!”

Started by The Legendary Shark, 18 March, 2011, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortnight

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2024, 10:44:43 PMNot saying it's true, it's only a possibility.
It's not.

It's dropped or corrupt frames, lost or corrupted between transmission and reception. Typically caused by improper tuning or bad weather.

Video broadcast codecs only encode changes to data between keyframes. When one frame gets corrupt or lost, the changes-since-the-last-frame data are missing, in whole or in part, and the decoder can only get some of the data to complete the picture. The picture from that point is a result of whatever the subsequent frames of data look like when incorporated into the decode picture at that point - often like blocky garbage for some of the screen. This worsens up until the next keyframe is received to refresh the whole picture.

Hawkmumbler

Reminds me of one of my favourite nonsense arguments used by flat earthers, who will pull a random image of the globe taken from satellite and turn up the resolution in photoshop.
Low and behold, there's artefacts all around the globe! What are they hiding?! Don't trust NASA globeheads!

It's .jpeg compression, you absolute rubes.

Jade Falcon

We all know...if the Earth was flat cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now, what more proof do you need :)
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 February, 2024, 01:59:36 PMClimate Change on Trial.
It's a bit of a clickbait title, but this short (15 part) podcast series following the recent (Jan/Feb '24) defamation case brought by prominent climate scientist Michael Mann against writer and broadcaster Mark Steyn (alleging an article by Steyn defamed him and his research) is fascinating. Using actors to bring to life court transcripts and presented by two engaging Irish journalists, this series is well worth a listen no matter which "side" one supports.

A classic presentation of the situation as false balance. You say "alleging", but Mann won the case, so Steyn did defame him. There's no question of which "side one supports". Human-induced climate change is real, and demonstrated clearly by the evidence. The "other side" of that is some people, now guilty of defamation, suggesting that the scientists are liars.

This is us back to step #1 of your cyclical routine of posting links to bullshit.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

And you back to assuming bullshit right from the start, straight in to your beloved circular argument mainstay. "I'm not going to investigate this bullshit because it's bullshit, but I am going to tell everyone else it's bullshit because it's bullshit."

In your world, "Mann won" seems to say it all; no need to understand a case that has lasted twelve years, no need to know who funded Mann's legal fees for all that time, no need to understand the arguments of both sides, no need to know why the jury didn't award Mann what he was asking (just $1 in one category), no need to understand anything beyond "Mann ("we") won." 

Nothing to learn here, move along, move along...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 February, 2024, 08:45:06 PMjust $1 in one category

And how much in the other? Can you bring yourself to type it?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

judgeurko

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

lincnash

Fatman and Blobbin.

"Bring me my Bat-bellywheel boy blunder!"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 16 February, 2024, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 February, 2024, 08:45:06 PMjust $1 in one category

I couldn't resist looking it up. Mann was awarded over one million.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 February, 2024, 10:11:08 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 16 February, 2024, 08:53:55 PM
I couldn't resist looking it up. Mann was awarded over one million.

Certainly an interesting case, with the outline presented here on AP news.

The $1 (compensatory) vs $1 million (punitive) against Steyn is something of a sideshow in the debate. (Compensatory being low means that the jury didn't think that Mann lost out very much financially from the defamation, is all.) Steyn doesn't contend that he's just making shit up when he talks about the climate science - on the contrary, he seems rather proud of his free speech ability to talk complete and utter bullshit.

Somehow, climate deniers have latched onto Steyn (a right-wing horror that tried to link Mann to child molestation as an attempt to win an "argument") as a hero figure. Even after this clear loss in court, they still clutch at the straws of their barmy conspiracy theory as if this is somehow a win for, well, anyone. Desperate stuff, really.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 16 February, 2024, 10:10:37 PMJeez, get a room you two!

I have been informed that this turn of phrase is a bit homophobic. This was not my intention whatsoever, didn't even occur to me. I apologize unreservedly and will accept any admonishments.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

No worries, Mr. P. Didn't even occur to me, either.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]