Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

The few PLP comments I've seen so far on SM are along the lines of "we were responsible for this victory" and "we could have done better if the left hadn't sabotaged us".
The absolute stupidest thing that they could do right now is either another coup attempt, or try to split the party to form a new party with Tony B in it, so I fully expect one of those things to happen relatively soon.

Theblazeuk

Never, ever bloody learn...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 June, 2017, 04:23:48 PMOn the positive side, God has long indicated that his favour falls only upon the rich,  so the DUP are unlikely to endanger their holy business endeavours by supporting a hard customs frontier.
Their policy is to be outside of the customs union, but nonetheless to retain the soft border in Ireland. They don't seem to realise – or don't care – that you an't have both. Some Tories are edging towards a softer Brexit, however. Also, the Lords could put the boot in now – now majority government to block.

Quote from: Professor Bear on 09 June, 2017, 04:31:26 PMThe absolute stupidest thing that they could do right now is either another coup attempt, or try to split the party to form a new party with Tony B in it, so I fully expect one of those things to happen relatively soon.
Yeah, probably. It's pretty obvious that Corbyn in some ways helped Labour, and in others ways didn't. But it's hard to see how they'd benefit from switching leaders now. That said, in five years it's hard to see him being PM material, especially if someone younger's in charge of the Tories.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 June, 2017, 04:59:52 PMThat said, in five years it's hard to see him being PM material, especially if someone younger's in charge of the Tories.

Can he really be worse than the last few?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Lord Buckethead for PM!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 June, 2017, 06:16:10 PMCan he really be worse than the last few?
I don't think he'd be worse, but he would be 73. 78 by the end of five years.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 June, 2017, 04:59:52 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 09 June, 2017, 04:23:48 PMOn the positive side, God has long indicated that his favour falls only upon the rich,  so the DUP are unlikely to endanger their holy business endeavours by supporting a hard customs frontier.
Their policy is to be outside of the customs union, but nonetheless to retain the soft border in Ireland. They don't seem to realise – or don't care – that you an't have both.

Indeed, but my suggestion is that the commandment to keep thy bank balance holy trumps even their hatred of the heathen, and no-one believes a new border would be anything other than financial disaster,  so combined with Ruth Davidson's pivotal troupe (seriously, Scotland, did you have to...?) there should be enough push-back against mindless isolationism to make a difference.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 June, 2017, 06:53:37 PMRuth Davidson's pivotal troupe (seriously, Scotland, did you have to...?)

They didn't have to, but Kezia Dugdale told them to vote Tory rather than Labour.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 09 June, 2017, 06:59:58 PM
They didn't have to, but Kezia Dugdale told them to vote Tory rather than Labour.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, that would be instant expulsion for any 'ordinary' member. She should be run out of the Labour Party at the earliest opportunity.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Lefties wanting to purge moderates from the party?  So much for kinder gentler politics.

Dandontdare

Paull Nuttall failing to get elected in UKIP's heartland - funny
Paul Nuttal resigning after a total collapse in the ukip vote - funnier
Paul Nuttall cocking up his registration so he was unable to even vote for himself - stop it, it hurts

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 09 June, 2017, 08:37:17 PM
Lefties wanting to purge moderates from the party?  So much for kinder gentler politics.

No, I'm suggesting the NEC applies the same rules to Kezia Dugdale as they used to boot to many hundreds of members off the party lists in the run-up to the last leadership contest.

Zarjazzer

Ukip destroyed, the SNP neutered, the ultra righties on the Conservative side humiliated. All good.

Whatever the negotiations for Brexit are it will not just be the strident voice of the newspapers/ "dear" Rupert that is heard.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Jim_Campbell

Tories with a waffer-theen majority... and Ken Clarke sitting there on a big fat majority with no intention of standing again, ready to rally pro-EU Tories. I expect to see some... interesting changes to the Tories' Brexit strategy, such as it is. I can't help but have a little chortle.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 June, 2017, 06:31:24 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 June, 2017, 06:16:10 PMCan he really be worse than the last few?
I don't think he'd be worse, but he would be 73. 78 by the end of five years.

Well, the President of the United States is nearly 71, and he's a completely rational, sensible and competent leader, isn't he?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"