Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Really enjoyed 'DRIVE' last night - cracking retro soundtrack and some top notch brutality.

starscape

The Awakening.

Great atmosphere (a bit like The Others - ghosts in post-WWI). One or two jump out of the seat moments.  Truly terrible ending.  Plot holes everywhere.  Convoluted and just plain stupid. If you're going to see it, walk out after half an hour and make up your ending.  It'll be a much better film.

radiator

Watched Arthur Christmas on Saturday night, which was a perfectly enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. Seems weird that it has been released so early - I would have preferred to watch it closer to Christmas but my girlfriend is a big Aardman fan and insisted. I didn't even mind the 3d, despite my usual niggles with the format.

Great voice cast and nice design work, though I thought some of the gags were a bit flat. I expect kids would love it, and it's certainly a step above the usual cg cartoon nonsense - we had to sit through trailers for Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 and Happy Feet 2 beforehand, both of which looked wretched. What is it about snarky cg characters singing contemporary pop songs that turns my stomach? And it's sad to see the once-great Jason Lee reduced to drivel like Alvin!

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 21 November, 2011, 09:02:11 AM...we had to sit through trailers for Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 and Happy Feet 2 beforehand, both of which looked wretched.

I saw the Happy Feet 2 trailer in front of Tintin, and if it had been a minute longer I'd have had to leave the cinema.  I honestly think Happy Feet 1 was the worst big-budget kids film I've ever seen, it makes me horribly, horribly angry.  And HF2 looks WORSE.  Sexualisation of penguin chicks?  WTF?

Spaceghost

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 November, 2011, 11:06:07 AM
Sexualisation of penguin chicks?  WTF?

Yeah but come on, some of those penguin bitchez are pretty hot. You know you'd hit dat.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

JamesC

i find it hard to reconcile the fact that the Happy Feet films are written and directed by George 'Mad Max' Miller!

TordelBack

Captain America.  Hey, that was very good!  The Boy is utterly stoked for The Avengers after seeing this, and to my surprise I'm really warming to the idea, initially because the plot looks to be Loki-centric (and Tom Hiddleston's Loki is just an exceptional villain), but now because I can see that it has some really solid leads in Downey, Hemsworth and Evans.  With [spoiler]Weaving's Red Skull apparently Bifrost-ed at the close of Cap[/spoiler], will he make an appearance too?

Roger Godpleton

ARTHUR CHRISTMAS. Really enjoyed this, just a notch below Pixar-standard. Still suffered from "having" to cast celebrities, because God knows that I wouldn't enjoy it unless Eva Longoria is saying words. I ENJOYED THIS MOVIE.

MONEYBALL. I think it would of been better if it had been about Brad Pitt murdering the other baseball players and then feeding the bodies to Jonah Hill, but I guess I can't have everything. Half-expected a Social Network knock off, so it was a lot better than I expected. I ENJOYED THIS MOVIE.

TAKE SHELTER. This is prolly my second favourite mental-illness-a-thon of 2011 behind Kill List and ahead of Melancholia. It's also my second favourite movie this year about Jessica Chastain's weird facial structure and this one had Michael Shannon looking weird in it to boot. I ENJOYED THIS MOVIE MOST OF ALL THIS WEEKEND.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Steve Green

Just watched 'Knowing' that was stacked on my PVR from the terrestrial broadcast.

Apart from a few nice set pieces and a potentially interesting premise, totally bollocks it up with a hackneyed future-shock ending, which is also pretty insulting.

Oh and yeah, those Happy Feet 2/Alvin trailers were absolutely dire. Still, not much different from me having Pinky and Bastard Perky foisted on me when I was little.

El Chivo

Source Code

Really enjoyed this, thought the end was a bit muddled (or maybe my feeble brain struggled with the 'science' of it). I've always found Jake Gyllenhaal a bit 'meh' before but IMO he really impresses in this

Cheers

Chi

von Boom

Superman II and Superman II The Richard Donner cut.

It was interesting to the see the difference between the two versions. Donner's version was good, but the theatrical version was a little lighter and according to my wife had more charm. I wonder if Henry Cavill will be able to match Christopher Reeve as Superman. I can't wait to find out.

JvB

Satanist

Fright Night is quite shite.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Bea was on call this weekend so we sat in and got through some movies.

Friday was JCVD, which I quite enjoyed but it literally put her to sleep. Van Damme was surprisingly good in it, was all a bit slow and ponderous but had some great moments.

Saturday was The Green Hornet which was harmless fun. I enjoy Seth Rogen and the action scenes were stylishly done, didn't quite hang together that well but was definitely a fun Saturday night flick. I'd watch a sequel if one ever happened.

Finished the weekend with Date Night, which had some nice moments early on while it sets up the relationships but doesn't really work once it becomes a caper/thrillery thing. Tina Fey is great, and Steve Carell has the odd good moment too but I couldn't see me recommending it particularly.

Roger Godpleton

The Twin Peaks pilot for the first time evar!!!
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Judge von Boom on 28 November, 2011, 04:08:27 PM
Superman II and Superman II The Richard Donner cut.

It was interesting to the see the difference between the two versions. Donner's version was good, but the theatrical version was a little lighter and according to my wife had more charm. I wonder if Henry Cavill will be able to match Christopher Reeve as Superman. I can't wait to find out.

JvB

The Donner Cut hands down, in my opinion, it's a massive shame that Donner and the Salkinds couldn't have reconciled their differences to finish off Superman II in 1979, Donner clearly nailed the whole mythology in a definitive manner yet to be equalled, and his Superman II would have been more serious in tone and had a more mythic, epic quality than Lester's admittedly decent version, alas...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.