Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 April, 2013, 08:49:58 PM
There is one:
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Moon-Chronicles-War-Book/dp/0553572857

I've read that. Considering it's predecessor it takes a strange route...

I was still curious to read any sequels though. The book ended with the suggestion there was more to come. As does the name 'Book 1' for that matter. Was there ever more?

Mardroid

Season of the Witch.

Just now.

Not bad actually, although I thought it got [spoiler]a bit silly at the end. I guess I would have preferred a different twist to that, but I'll admit it wasn't one I was particularly expecting.

I guess I wish they'd done something a bit more subtle. Perhaps done a bit more with the suspense etc, but it wasn't a bad film for what it was.[/spoiler]

Charlie boy

The Season of the Witch
A film so great, I doubt these words will do it justice.
Nic Cage and Ron Perlman are in the Crusades and they desert the cause to return home. Unfortunately for them, the Black Death is everywhere. Under the orders of an infected Christopher Lee, they set off to take an apparent witch who has claimed responsibility for the Plague's outbreak to a monastery to stand trial for her crime (if this hasn't got you desperate to see this film already, there is clearly something wrong with you).
Basically, you have a dream acting duo with Cage and Perlman there (how they had never been paired up before- or since- is a mystery in itself) and once the film ended, I immediately jumped online to tell you about it. Am I going to see another film of this caliber again this year?
The answer, of course, is no.

Hawkmumbler

Richmond Clements

QuoteWas there ever more?

No idea!

Beyond the Hills. Romanian movie - supposedly based on a true story - of an exorcism in a convent. Really good. Very clever with some astonishing takes and performances. 
It's not really about an exorcism of course - we're dealing with authority and how people respond to it. There is a brilliant scene towards the end where our main character will look  between other characters on screen and then directly at camera - making the viewer complicit in what's happening. But, Iron man 3 tomorrow - because sometimes a man needs to see things blow up.

Mardroid

Quote from: Charlie boy on 27 April, 2013, 10:49:19 PM
Under the orders of an infected Christopher Lee,

That was Christopher Lee? Shame on me, I didn't recognise him!

Charlie boy

Shame on both of us- neither one of us mentioned the cracking dialogue in that film.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 April, 2013, 10:44:28 PM
Season of the Witch.

Just now.

Not bad actually, although I thought it got [spoiler]a bit silly at the end. I guess I would have preferred a different twist to that, but I'll admit it wasn't one I was particularly expecting.

I guess I wish they'd done something a bit more subtle. Perhaps done a bit more with the suspense etc, but it wasn't a bad film for what it was.[/spoiler]
I love this film. Corcking little s-thriller.

Charlie boy

"S-thriller" ?
Don't recognise the lingo, sorry. What is it?

Mardroid

Quote from: Charlie boy on 27 April, 2013, 11:04:51 PM
"S-thriller" ?

'Supernatural Thriller'. I think.

Charlie boy

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mardroid on 27 April, 2013, 11:07:59 PM
Quote from: Charlie boy on 27 April, 2013, 11:04:51 PM
"S-thriller" ?

'Supernatural Thriller'. I think.
Yup.

Link Prime

Jeez, just how many of us watched Season of the Witch last night???
I viewed it despite the universally dire reviews (and also cause there was SFA on the box anyway).

I agree with the rest of ye- not half bad. And Ron 'Id watch him in Hollyoaks' Perlman too.
Another case to add to the 'universally bad reviews = pleasantly surprised' file.

JamesC

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 April, 2013, 11:17:11 AM
Jeez, just how many of us watched Season of the Witch last night???
I viewed it despite the universally dire reviews (and also cause there was SFA on the box anyway).

I agree with the rest of ye- not half bad. And Ron 'Id watch him in Hollyoaks' Perlman too.
Another case to add to the 'universally bad reviews = pleasantly surprised' file.

Well I watched the first 15 minutes and then fell asleep on the sofa. The perils of afternoon drinking!

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 28 April, 2013, 11:49:21 AM
The perils of afternoon drinking!

Pacing, James. It's all about the pacing.