Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

The Wolf of Wall Street - it started quite well and is very funny in parts, but I found the Film far too long to be honest.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

CrazyFoxMachine

The Family (2013)

A fairly fun but incredibly shallow effort from Besson here - with barely any pay-off. The Goodfellas reference is bewilderingly meta. It would have been better being slightly less silly overall really which is something I'm not fond of saying - but its dull stereotypes, over-stretched coincidences and very predictable outcomes were made all the more glaring by their lack of seriousness. The whole thing just felt like a long joke rather than an engaging story. Not terrible but not at all memorable.

Hawkmumbler

Baba Yaga (1973)

Bleach: Memories of Nobody (2006)

Femina Ridens (1969)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Paprika (2006)

GrinningChimera

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The visuals alone are worth the price of admission. Beautiful film.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 21 April, 2014, 07:58:49 PM
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Did anyone else notice the change is aspect ratios as the movie shifted through three time zones?

CrazyFoxMachine

The Guard (2011)

I must say - I was incredibly taken with this. It balances cynical self-awareness and genuine charm with incredible skill. It's genuinely incredibly funny but also fairly moving - all parts are pitch perfect and... really this is one of the most convincing action films I've seen in years. McDonagh craps all over his too-cool-for-school brother here I think, and has produced something of real heart and character that I definitely intend to watch again as soon as possible.

Win Win (2011)

Likeable but irritatingly aspirational movie that is not nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. The performances are strong - but for something so charmingly down to earth it's irritatingly black and white and ends with a sickeningly mainstream predictability that's hard to stomach after the strength of McCarthy's previous work. The tedious comedy side-kick guy really didn't need to be there either - who the fuck is he?!

Theblazeuk

Just a mention of the Guard puts a huge smile on my face, Brendan Gleeson is the man. I quite want to check out Calvary but doubt I'll fit it in before it goes due to money/spiderman/the raid 2.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 April, 2014, 09:58:10 PM
Quote from: GrinningChimera on 21 April, 2014, 07:58:49 PM
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Did anyone else notice the change is aspect ratios as the movie shifted through three time zones?

Yes but I was warned about them beforehand because Mark Kermode bangs on about such stuff constantly. Also Richmond Odeon has an odd screen anyway making it very noticeable.

Loved Grand Budapest, after watching Darjeeling Limited this weekend I can confirm the former is definitely my favourite Wes Anderson movie - largely due to the presence of Ralph Fiennes, who is really rather bloody funny.

Daveycandlish

CALVARY is an incredibly dark and bleak film. Don't go in expecting a retread of the tone of The Guard. You will be disappointed - I know I was.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Skullmo

Hell Comes to Frogtown - Sam Hell (Rowdy Roddy Piper) is a prisoner of the female faction who took over the US after nuclear war. Mutant frogs thrive in the wasteland while humans face possible extinction due to infertility. Sam Hell, in a bid to get out of prison, starts working for the female faction (and has a bomb strapped to his crotch so that he doesn't try to escape). Hell is forced to rescue a group of fertile women from a harem run by an evil mutant frog gang.

This movie is on Netflix. It really should have been drawn by Massimo Belardinelli! This film is amazing and everyone should watch it if just for Roddy's performance.
It's a joke. I was joking.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 22 April, 2014, 12:11:54 PM
CALVARY is an incredibly dark and bleak film. Don't go in expecting a retread of the tone of The Guard. You will be disappointed - I know I was.

Sure as hell looked darker in trailerform - maybe now I'm expecting it I won't be disappointed!

Also in terms of Grand Budapest I'm a sucker for Wanderson films but missed this in cinemas (even our super-cheap independent local stopped showing it :'() - looks brilliantly fun though. Hopefully more succinct and caper-based than the rather rambling (but still good) Moonrise Kingdom.

Dark Jimbo

Grand Budapest is marvellous, Foxy - easily Anderson's best work yet. I could happily have watched it twice, back to back. It's extremely funny and the pacing is superb.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 22 April, 2014, 12:11:54 PM

Going to see it tomorrow- bleak buffers prepared!

mogzilla

Threads...don't know how I never saw it before.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Ghost MacRoth

Awesome bit of 80's telly that was.  Bloody terrifying at the time.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

The Legendary Shark

I seem to recall that terrifying traffic warden with the bandaged face and the assault rifle on the cover of the Radio Times haunting me for weeks afterwards.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]