Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 21 December, 2015, 12:57:48 PM
Vegetarians invented their own bacon because they could not live in a world without it.  THERE ENDETH THE ARGUMENT.

You disguised it quite well but that's pretty much an "Mmm, bacon" comment.  Go on and fuck off to Earth 762 where the Lloigor are waiting for you. Apparently they treat humans like cattle and we all know that's perfectly nice and humane...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Whats your stance in microfarming, Tips?

Tiplodocus

I'like answer in the Politics thread.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 21 December, 2015, 12:57:48 PM
Vegetarians invented their own bacon because they could not live in a world without it.  THERE ENDETH THE ARGUMENT.
I can quite happily live in a world without the sight, taste and smell of bacon. Closest I get is those bacon rasher crisp things, which taste as much like bacon as prawn cocktail crisps taste like their namesake.

Hawkmumbler

Hey, you guy's all liked Fury Road right? And I assume you like Mad Max in general, right? Well then don't check out The Bronx Warriors, because it's nothing like Mad Max. Which is ironic, seeing as it was made as Italy's rip-off take on Mad Max.

Set in 1990, New York, and the south Bronx has been designated a a no go zone, run by several gangs and monopolised by the police. The commissioners daughter disappears from her Manhattan home one evening and this triggers a race and arms war between rival gangs and the authorities.

A story we've seen dozens of times before, with some truly awful acting and effects,  yet still a heck of a lot of fun. Best thing about it though is it's the only sci-fi franchise from Italy to receive a spin off and a sequel!

Escape from the Bronx borrows much more from Mad Max, and focuses on the clear out project (erm, genocide) of the Bronx population. This one is deffinetly post apocalyptic, and has a political edge to it. Some kind of cross pacific war happened and now America is trying to pick up the pieces.....by murdering the surplus population a- oh fuck it, it makes zero sense but it's still a butt ton of fun. Bounds better than the orignal, it even bousts some seriously wicked practical effects.

The spin-off, The Last Barabarians is mostly stand alone but follows up from the nuclear fallout that concluded the war from the previous film. None of the cast from the first two films feature and the aesthetic is an even higher grade of garbage, but still a lot of fun. Not a great film by any stretch and only loosely linked to the Bronx movies but still worth a watch.

Mattofthespurs

I saw The Bronx Warriors (from Cannon? Right?) in the mid 80's on VHS.
Man, that is one bad film.

Hawkmumbler

Honestly I didn't find it any less enjoyable or ludicrous than Escape from New York, despite having a far less charismatic main character.

M.I.K.

The Bronx Warriors films led to me affixing a plastic skull to the front of my BMX.

I, Cosh

I saw The Bronx Warriors at the tender age of 9 or 10. It holds a special place in my heary which I wouldn't want to spoil by doing something so Stupid as watching it again.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

I watched those films recently, but in the wrong order.  Now I understand why they didn't make much sense.

PsychoGoatee

Saw The Hateful Eight - great stuff! And it had an intermission, classy touch.

Mardroid

I just saw The Ridiculous 6. (I'm not taking the mick, concerning The Hateful 8. It's really a film, on Netflix starring Adam Sandler, Terry Crews, Jorge Garcia (who I didn't recognise straight away until he got a haircut later) and a whole bunch of others.)

A very funny comedy Western. And yes, kinda ridiculous too, but in a good way.

Professor Bear

Jupiter Ascending.  There's talk of this being a camp classic among female viewers because it has a lady type in the lead, but to me this feels like someone drowning in a lake of Box Office Fail and grasping at anything they think will float.  Occasionally it looks really nice, but overall it's pretty shite, the scale of the folly reminding me of David Lynch's Dune even if saying as much feels like giving Jupiter Ascending too much credit, as does making comparisons to the movie of which it feels most reminiscent: 1987's Masters of the Universe.
Not good.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 28 December, 2015, 11:59:05 AM
Jupiter Ascending.  There's talk of this being a camp classic among female viewers because it has a lady type in the lead, but to me this feels like someone drowning in a lake of Box Office Fail and grasping at anything they think will float.  Occasionally it looks really nice, but overall it's pretty shite, the scale of the folly reminding me of David Lynch's Dune even if saying as much feels like giving Jupiter Ascending too much credit, as does making comparisons to the movie of which it feels most reminiscent: 1987's Masters of the Universe.
Not good.

Watched most of this one earlier this evening and don't mind it so much. I still find it hard to understand, because the powers that be insist on having the voices at low volume as apposed to the rest of the sound effects and music.

Otherwise, I don't mind it so much because it showed potential being this Sci-Fi opera about the fantastic origins of our race extending further back in time and further away from our planet than most of us are supposed to think. It's about how people just like us conquered other alien beings and made them their slaves or insubordinates and how completely destroyed other pockets of humanity for a energy source after finding it how to use this to extend their life expectancy. There is a element of our world going through unofficial dark-age by comparison which is kind of cool.

It is kind of like He-Man & the Masters of the Universe, but I'm not actually comparing it with that other film here. Its seems like similar genre's.

Originally, I was thinking this could have been inspired by the Paladium-Rifts universe and what happened on Earth. There is a lot of hi-tech weaponry and other gadgets there. Humans spliced with animals and those dog-boys. It's all there without exactly being just that.

About the female character lead. Great, they can have that one!

I don't like the Redmayne fellow, even though he really got in shape for that role. If they were looking for someone to play a despicable villain. Then I guess he was the right choice as well.

Still not as great as the Matrix trilogy ever was.   

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 28 December, 2015, 11:59:05 AM
Jupiter Ascending.   Occasionally it looks really nice, but overall it's pretty shite, the scale of the folly reminding me of David Lynch's Dune even if saying as much feels like giving Jupiter Ascending too much credit, as does making comparisons to the movie of which it feels most reminiscent: 1987's Masters of the Universe.
Not good.

I failed to mention this film might be better as series or a quadrilogy comparting to it to how Dune should have been and not how the David Lynch turned out.

I think mentioned this in earlier review that that the best thing about Lycanthro-Tant bounty hunter/hero is his special shoes that allow him to move fast and fly. There was nothing partically wolfish about him except he supposed to have good sense of smell. Otherwise anybody could have done what he was doing and called them a Dog or wolf man for it. The mention of him being half-albino brought me back to horrors of being called accused of albino-ism at school despite my dark eyes and hair. Sure, my skin was real pale, but still pigmented and non-see-thru. I really don't lend credence to my so called albino-ism by letting it be said that there is such a thing as by adding the prefix quarter or semi.

Sean Bean character who I forget the name of I think was supposed to have a pair of insect wing that were removed as punishment. He's a half a bee, just like that song that the Monty-Python troop came up with. Otherwise I really only got this when he got into fist-cuffs with Wolf-Boy (Above) deftly spinning around him at one stage to attack from behind. He could only be insect man after seeing that. Just a pity he didn't wear the yellow and black stripey uniform.

Once I saw the elephant man at the controls of space-ship. I though this could almost be related to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is still the better film.

Other influences.. might have been your very own Melt-Down-Man and still there was one more that I thought I knew when I replied here last night. Which I failed to mention and now forget.