Main Menu

Help me Hive Mind, you're my only hope...

Started by Bolt-01, 22 August, 2018, 09:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 July, 2023, 01:03:17 PMThat sounds like a fault with either the cable or the port. Are you able to switch either / both?

Also, some USB cables are rated for charging-only, and won't carry data. Definitely try it with a different cable. Also, is the laptop port regularly used and functional? If it's seldom-used then there might just be dust/fluff in there which is interfering with the connection...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Can you send them via a wireless or Bluetooth connection?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

If the power symbol is disappearing after it appears you definitely have a faulty cable.  This is the singularly most annoying thing about Apple when it comes to their phones and tablets, the cables are chuffing useless.  They are forever crapping out.  I would say that even if you can get a wireless connection get a replacement cable as soon as you can. 

As for Bluetooth, that is another area Apple does really badly (and I'm talking as someone who has used Apple for over 2 decades now).  Unless it is a really small file I wouldn't bother, you will be there until hell freezes over.

Dandontdare

tried several cables, including an official Apple one, no go. The USB port is regularly used. I've been suggested to download iTunes on the laptop but I dunno...

Could it be something as simple as changing one of the million and one settings? (when I tried to access my emails it just kept asking for my password but then did nothing, no explanation or error message - after two days fiddling, I found the appropriate setting was set to OFF)

Dandontdare

tried bluetooth "the operation was not performed because the device has not been authenticated" - WTF does that mean?

The Legendary Shark

Sounds like it's almost time to put some cheese in it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

the annoying thing is, I've got icloud drive on the laptop and it gets the photos off my phone no problem - I don't think there's a fault, I just can't work out how to do it.

The Legendary Shark

It's tough, but ask a schoolchild (they'll do anything for a vape).

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 July, 2023, 08:18:58 PMSounds like it's almost time to put some cheese in it.

I was about to propose this myself. Gouda idea.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

I wish I had a Feta one.

I'll get me Ricotta.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

success .. of a sort. Moved the file (an episode of Babylon 5) to idrive, found it on the ipad - took ages to download though with my shitty broadband speed. I'll have to take my laptop somewhere with better wifi and copy the rest.

Thanks for all the tips, moral support and of course, the cheese. Tread caerphilly now, don't cheddar tear, it will all brie fine, things are getting feta all the time.

Tjm86

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 July, 2023, 08:13:02 PMtried bluetooth "the operation was not performed because the device has not been authenticated" - WTF does that mean?

Pairing has not been completed properly.  It needs the pins to match between the laptop and the iPad. Try re-pairing the laptop and the iPad.

iTunes on the laptop is certainly an option, especially if it an older iPad. 

The Doctor Alt 8

I have a question that I think might be impossible to answer. I'm only pestering you fine folks with it because without going into too much detail my phone upgrade is being held hostage to it. (And no it has nothing to do with mobile phones) My web searches have proved fruitless.

A friend of mine is looking to attend a convention. It must meet the following parameters.

Should be scheduled for next year to allow for costuming.

Must be multi Media.

Cannot be Redemption because he had an argument with the committee and although all those committee members no longer are involved he won't have anything to do with them. (Don't ask... just... don't!)

Cannot be too far from where he lives (On the coast of Essex)

Hotel must have disabled access.

Any ideas?

nxylas

Downthetubes has a rolling list of British and Irish comic conventions that your friend might want to consult.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!