Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

Exactly! It's amazing! I like both of Hillcoat's other films I've seen (Lawles and The Road), but IMO this is by far his best!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Mabs

Guy Pearce is magnificent in The Proposition, as is Danny Huston. I also loved the cameo turn from John Hurt as the dislikeable bounty hunter/ barman. The thing I loved about Hillcoat's direction, is the almost de-saturated look of the film, and not to mention the violence. It recalled the works of Sam Peckinpah, no doubt he would've been proud with this film if he were alive to watch it. Emily Watson also puts in a superb performance as Ray Winstone's suffering wife. In fact all the actors put in one hell of a shift in this film to be honest. Everything from score to script makes this for me, one special film.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Albion

Quote from: willthemightyW on 12 September, 2013, 04:45:18 PM
The Proposition, an Australian 'Western' directed by John Hillcoat starring Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, and Danny Huston.

Great film. It was written by Nick Cave who has worked with John Hillcoat a lot.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Ghost MacRoth

Iron Man 3

Pretty good overall.  Bit of fun.

[spoiler]But the lack of suited action throughout the film, is NOT compensated for with the overdose of suits at the end.  Plus, I found the whole popping in and out of suits so easily a bit annoying, as it seemed more for ease of filming than to advance the story.[/spoiler]  Good effects overall, and as alluded to above, Guy Pearce is very good in most things! Downey Jnr is his usual witty self, and Paltrow was....well, not in it much, but looking fairly good when she was!

Worth a watch, it does exactly what it says on the tin.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Frank

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 12 September, 2013, 08:59:28 PM
Iron Man 3

On sale beside the till of my local Co-op and various petrol stations for "only £13.99!". Knowing that the next time I see it on some kind of featured display shelf will be when it appears in Asda's 2 DVDs for £8 rotunda fills me with an odd kind of sadness.

Mabs

Quote from: Albion on 12 September, 2013, 08:38:55 PM
Quote from: willthemightyW on 12 September, 2013, 04:45:18 PM
The Proposition, an Australian 'Western' directed by John Hillcoat starring Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, and Danny Huston.

Great film. It was written by Nick Cave who has worked with John Hillcoat a lot.

He also did the score for The Assassination of Jesse James, alongside Warren Ellis (no, not that Ellis!). He's one talented guy that Nick Cave.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

willthemightyW

Yeah, Warren Ellis did the music for this as well, it did take me a while to realise it probably wasn't that
Ellis

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Albion on 12 September, 2013, 08:38:55 PM

Beat me to it. Great film, just try to see it again.

I, Cosh

Yeah, The Proposition is amazing. Keep looking out for a copy of Ghosts of the Civil Dead, but no luck so far
We never really die.

willthemightyW

I've never seen it, but I do believe the entirety of Ghosts of The Civil Dead is on youtube, obviously it's nicer to own the real thing, but as you say, it's very, very expensive!

Will

Mabs

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 September, 2013, 10:33:53 PM
Yeah, The Proposition is amazing. Keep looking out for a copy of Ghosts of the Civil Dead, but no luck so far

Blimey. Just had a look on Amazon...£52 for a copy!  :o

Why so expensive?! That is mindboggling price for a DVD.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Mabs on 13 September, 2013, 08:28:27 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 12 September, 2013, 10:33:53 PM

Blimey. Just had a look on Amazon...£52 for a copy!  :o

Why so expensive?! That is mindboggling price for a DVD.

Is it? I'll bloody sell mine then!

Mabs

:D

I doubt anyone in their right mind would pay that amount though!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC