Main Menu

Alec Worley's Agent of Weird

Started by Alec Worley, 22 July, 2022, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Worley

Just started a newsletter/blog thingy called 'AGENT OF WEIRD'. It's about writing comics, books, and wotnot.

The first post is all about online image and is called 'WHY WRITERS ARE FULL OF SHIT (AND WHY WE HAVE TO BE)' and you can read it right here: https://alecworley.substack.com/p/why-writers-are-full-of-s-and-why?sd=pf

It's free to subscribe if you fancy reading future posts, and if you like what you read right here then please do give it a share (especially if you're on Twitter - the platform upon which I fear to tread).

Hope you're all keeping safe and well.

Cheers
Alec

Barrington Boots

Enjoyed this a lot and signed up for more. Cheers!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Yeah that's a great read. Thanks for sharing Alec.

Alec Worley

Cheers, guys! Really appreciated!
Hoping to do a lot more craft stuff as the months go on.
All the best - and thanks again!
Alec

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Dark Jimbo

Alec Worley so totally reads this thread -

Quote from: Alec Worley on 22 July, 2022, 12:47:37 PM
The Fighting Fantasy gamebooks were a shrewdly calibrated franchise, but when I read those adventures as a kid they turned my brains to pure starlight. Every one of those books – from Warlock of Firetop Mountain to Legend of the Shadow Warriors – was like a gift from Prometheus.
@jamesfeistdraws

Barrington Boots

Another great read on this today. I've got the complete Marada and everything Alec says is spot on about it sadly, although the artwork really is lovely.

Couple of FF references as well. Can we get Alec Worley to do a playthrough on the gamebook thread?

Funt Solo

Just read the "full of shit" piece. That stuff about doing promotional work resonates - I'm a teacher, but my program is opt-in, so I often find myself feeling entirely out of my depth doing promotion for the course. It feels like (in a wiser world) someone really good at promotion would be doing that part.

The graphic designer in the modern parable shouldn't be telling the client how long it took - they should just be letting them know the cost and a delivery date. I mean, with 20 years experience. Made me think of:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

I'm sure Alec will be along shortly to promote this but just read his latest piece about Anderson and its a beaut.

I've said before here there's a case to be made the that run of her solo stories from the start to say R*Evolution is one of the most consistantly brilliant ever to grace 2000ad. That's a 15 year run that has rarely, if ever been matched. There is the (very) odd dip in there, but the highs are very damned high. A large part of that is the layers and flexibility built into the character from creation that allows for epic, sweeping dramas of all kinds in the stories she leads. Alan Grant and a team of magnificent artists tapped into that perfectly and in a way not often (if ever) matched.

She could well be 2000ad's greatest... but we'd need to have a very serious sit down to discuss our favourite sex pest Nikolai Dante before we came to any rash decisions!

Barrington Boots

Kaleb Daark reference! That's obscure and awesome.

Alec Worley

I bloody LOVED Kaleb Daark! "Come Chaos! Dreadaxe thirsts for you!" :D

Barrington Boots

YES! It's bitter than we never found out how he would have defeated Jaek & Helwud et al (a joke I didn't get until years later)

I think I might still have the Citadel mini of him knocking about. Brilliant comic.