Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Yesterday was a real Garth Ennis day what with Crossed, Stitched & The Shadow.

Crossed – Really love this series (agree that Lapham just tries too hard to shock but I still bought them) and looking forward to seeing where it goes under new management. A nice dark ending too.

Stitched – So far so straight to video horror. Still liking it though and will be interested to see how the short film turns out.

The Shadow – No experience at all with this character, not even the movie. Just really an intro to the character but I still don't know what his powers are or how he got them. Ok.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

PreacherCain

Sitched isn't actually written by Ennis now, is it?

I have The Shadow too but haven't read it yet. Art looks quite nice though.

Colin YNWA

Just read 'The Shadow' and have to say I really enjoyed it, top stuff, looking forward to seeing how this series develops. The art was pretty nice too, don't know Aaron Campbell's work but he's really really trying for that Tommy Lee Edwards vibe, which is no bad thing I guess

Proudhuff

Picked up the latest Boys and Crossed along with TWD.

What a joy to have garth back on Crossed a fine comic with real humanity/horror unlike the previous series.

Boys = funny and working up the big finish, what is that he steps in?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Supposedly it's semen-with-blood-in, everyone's favourite kind I'm sure.  I had thought it was something to do with [spoiler]Black Noir and his covert thumb-up-the-bum antics[/spoiler], but I'd say that's pretty unlikely now.  It may just be a recurring random detail showing how kerayzee life in Noo Yawk can be, but given its prominence this week, I doubt it.

TordelBack

Oh this is great - lovely Ennis commentary for No. 66, plus most of the comic too: 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/03/garth-ennis-commentary-on-boys/

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2012, 03:49:51 PM
Supposedly it's semen-with-blood-in, everyone's favourite kind I'm sure.  I had thought it was something to do with [spoiler]Black Noir and his covert thumb-up-the-bum antics[/spoiler], but I'd say that's pretty unlikely now.  It may just be a recurring random detail showing how kerayzee life in Noo Yawk can be, but given its prominence this week, I doubt it.
It's just a sleazy comedy detail. Doesn't Butcher tell Huey that's what it'll be like before he moves into the hotel? Then it is the first night. I'm thinking the identity of the depositor will be one of the things we discover in the last issue or two.
We never really die.

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2012, 09:18:13 PM
Oh this is great - lovely Ennis commentary for No. 66, plus most of the comic too: 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/03/garth-ennis-commentary-on-boys/

Some fascinating stuff in there. I can understand why Ennis rates Butcher as his favourite creation - it's a mark of how complex and interesting the character is that you can go from feeling so sympathetic towards him at the end of the last issue to actively loathing him in this one. It'd be be fun to see who they'd pick to play him if the movie version that's been rumoured ever comes off.

Proudhuff

Part two of 'Blow the bloody doors off' in FP today... and TWD 16.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

I have no idea why Butchers doing what he's doing...what have I missed?
DDT did a job on me

strontium_dog_90

Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 June, 2012, 02:19:47 PM

I rang my local FP to check when this was out and they said not for a few weeks . . .grr. Looks like an unexpected visit might be needed with my day off tomorrow now.

PreacherCain

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 07 June, 2012, 07:12:24 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 June, 2012, 02:19:47 PM

I rang my local FP to check when this was out and they said not for a few weeks . . .grr. Looks like an unexpected visit might be needed with my day off tomorrow now.

Is it out!? I didn't see it  :-\

Proudhuff

This is the cover but what might be confusing the FP dudes is the cover, well mine, says sixty-six not sixty seven!!
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

I also picked that issue up at my local FP yesterday. Just what is Butcher up to?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Alski

I thought I was just being thick, because I really don't know what he's doing. Obviously he's covering sometyhing up completely, but what have The Legend and Vas got to do with it?

4 issues to go, I think Butcher will be leaving the planet for good by the end.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/