Main Menu

How Would You Bring It Back?

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 21 April, 2008, 11:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

++The Doctor's TARDIS. Make it spooky, not weird. Candelabra. Shadows of otherwise invisible cats and moths. Dust and cobwebs. ++

that sound great, but as the cammo thing is fecked why no have it different each time he walked in, just the central column the same each time.

The other rooms should be explored further too

Grandfather-Huff
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

that sound great, but as the cammo thing is fecked why no have it different each time he walked in, just the central column the same each time.

Best idea EVER.  I thought they were sort of heading this way with Paul McGann's TARDIS, but alas that went the way of all flesh.

SamuelAWilkinson

Break the TARDIS again. It's always better with 'at random' wandering.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

mogzilla

i would love to see a "five doctors type story where rose and martha get to see the doc in his wrinkly old selves i bet they'd not be as keen with a colin baker!

why is the inside of the door a police box?
it was a big white one in the original...surely the chameleon circuit isnt leaking in as well?

as much as i like the new a part of me still hankers after the old style,videotape instead of film and multi parts slowly building a story and characters...i too like the historical ones and the tom baker @horror ones

and we really have to stop "totally wiping out the daleks "in every season establish them again as a underlying threat not AS powerful but rebuilt and lurking...

Huey2

I'd just go as far to say: write some good stories. On the occasions when that's happened since the re-boot all's been good and shown that the format CAN work. All other problems have been down to a poor story.

So:

Re-boot: Would be a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Plus so much "classic" stuff would creep back in over time it'd be pointless.

Time-Lords: No thanks. Smartest thing RTD did was ditch 'em. There were a couple of decent Time-Lord stories back in the day, but not many.

Motivation: He travels around time and space. if he sees a problem he fixes it. simple. Making him a time-cop or adjudicator makes the show a bit more generic. Of course, disbelief has to be suspended to consider how often he bumps into trouble, but the only time this didn't work was in the '80s where there were no gaps in between adventures for them to rest, go somewhere which wasn't being invaded etc.

Reason for companion: I quite like the idea that the companion wants to be there to see the universe. When it wasn't over-egged and lovey-dovey the Doctor/ Rose Doctor/Martha thing seemed to work IMO.
There have been attempts at "interesting" companions before and these have worked with mixed results.
What I would change: when they're gone, that's it. Unless you're the Brigadier or you've been away for ten years. None of this popping back that Rose, Donna and Martha have done.

Reason for coming back: His companion's from Earth. They want to visit. Although, if the stories were all decent we wouldn't noice/care that he keeps popping back to Earth.

Sorry to be so disagreeable.

- Ian

House of Usher

The Doctor would be quite cool if he was on the run. He's been on the run from both the Timelords and the Daleks in the black and white days. If they made that a part of the plot again it would explain his wandering about, plus whoever he's running away from showing up would provide the motivation for him to make a quick exit.

The Timelords were too useful as a standby plot device to scrap altogether on a whim. I hope one day we get to see a glimpse of this 'Time War' that wiped them out. Presumably all trace of the Time War has been wiped from the timeline, or else it would be going on around the Doctor and his companions wherever they go, and it would be possible to go back and stop it ever happening.

As to the Tardis interior, I found it fascinating as a child. The white interior with the roundels in the walls was astounding, and then the Victorian gothic Jules Verne brass and stained glass 'back-up' control room totally blew my tiny mind. And I was very impressed with The Invasion of Time, in which the Tardis interior was revealed as enormous, with swimming pools, indoor gardens and concrete back stairs. Apparently wrists were slapped for that one, but it did the programme no harm in my eyes whatsoever. What do today's kids make of the new 'organic' Tardis interior compared with the old sterile and brilliant white one?
STRIKE !!!

Radbacker

WOULDN'T MIND SOME LONGER MULTI PART STORIES LIKE THE OLD DAYS BUT ASIDE FROM THAT i LIKE THE NEW ONE JUST FINE.

CU RADBACKER

Adrian Bamforth

"a part of me still hankers after the old style,videotape instead of film"

After colour arrived the video format was one of the things that made it look unconvincing...but it is refreshing to go back and see whole scenes performed theatrically rather than stitched together in the editing suite.

Noisybast

Just a thought, but how about an episode set entirely on board the TARDIS? It's not been done (with the possible exception of a couple of very short charity specials) in New Who and could be an interesting way of producing the obligatory "cheap episode" to save funds for the end-of-season FX-fest.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Jim_Campbell

"And I was very impressed with The Invasion of Time, in which the Tardis interior was revealed as enormous, with swimming pools, indoor gardens and concrete back stairs. Apparently wrists were slapped for that one, but it did the programme no harm in my eyes whatsoever."

Curiously, I have no recollection of that story whatsoever, but am now wondering whether it unconsciously influenced the entirely-Tardis-set story I wrote for the Who charity anthology Perfect Timing 2 a couple of years back ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Adrian Bamforth

I vaguely remember there being some other rooms, I like the idea a lot, it makes sense as one clearly couldn't live in the control room, there isn't even a chair. Thought the McGann version was great, more like a batcave. In the new version they have even mentioned other rooms (where the costume wardrobe is) but didn't bother to follow it through and just made a bit of a joke of it. Despite the budget spent on the new one it really isn't homely.

WoD

As a kid the TARDIS fascinated me.  It seemed to have lots of potential, but was also quite scary as it was so big (infinite?) and you never really new what was in there altogether.  I liked the idea of the TARDIS being quite sterile and safe near the 'front', but getting altogether more risky and mysterious as you ventured further in.  Who knows what the Doctor had collected (or accidently picked up) over the years?

I can understand the 'bouncing around' that the Doctor has been doing so far since it has returned to our screens; he has only 'recently' lost everything that was a rock of stability for him - Gallifrey, etc. - so he's probably still reeling from it a bit.  I would like to see him start to take a bit more control and consider his future and what he wants, or needs, to achieve before he eventually dies.

So, apart from a bit of a redesign on the Tardis and some establishing of an arc I can't think of too much more I'd add in right now.

Richmond Clements

Some of the Virgin and BBC novels in the past have played with the TARDIS idea nicely.
You had things like the TARDIS moving rooms around and Ace or whoever not being able to find her way back.
One of the eighth Doctor novels even has a room that is in fact a huge hill looking down on a countryside scene.

WoD

I forget that my geek-levels are so much lower than most people here, yet I'm King of the Geeks back home!!

TordelBack

Exploring other rooms would definitely be lots of fun - I have a vague memory of one of the Doctors selecting his new incarnation's outfit from a walk-in closet.  I have a horrible feeling Bonnie Langford was involved.